[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First Tiki Attempt
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
First Tiki Attempt
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-08 7:54 pm   Permalink

I was bitten by the Tiki bug awhile ago down in Maryland at Solomon's Island for the renowned Tiki Bar Opening. It was my first time attending the bar's spring opening along with another 2,000 people. Ever since I got back I've been researching and reading up on tikis. This website is the best resource for everything and all things tiki.

So I set out and created my first tiki. I've been itching to get the pics up and get some feedback. I'm on the east cost so I don't have access to palm trees. This wood was a limb we cut down from a tree at my beach house years ago and I stumbled upon a whole pile of it drying out in our garage. The chisels I purchased off Ebay - one of those 15 chisels sets in a pouch. They suck..... period. Does anyone have any advice for sharpening chisels? The set came with a flat bench stone and 2 shaped slipstones.

Anyways, onto the good stuff....

To get the black inside I tried torching the log but it burnt the face of the tiki faster and darker then the inside where I cut so I ended up spray painting it black and sanding the front off.

I'll give credit where credit is due, I took the inspiration from
http://www.buytikitorches.com/totem-poles/atp-24# titled "the Jester."

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-18 5:21 pm   Permalink

So couldn't wait too long to start a new tiki. I drew it up the other day and made the decision to invest in a Flexcut MC150 starters set. Carved for about half an hour today and I have to say that was the best decision I've made recently. Compared to the ebay set I got for $25, these Flexcuts cut through the wood like its no body's business. Here are two progress shots.

This is my second tiki attempt and first attempt at carving out a body. Hopefully I didn't aim to high by including the skull (inspired by Tiki65).

Any advice on going 3-D with the body?

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-20 8:18 pm   Permalink

Here are some progress shots. Going 3-D with the body for the first time has definitely presented some challenges and made me wish I thought ahead more often but once I get the mallet in my hand its chisel first, think second.

Here is a shot from the back. Can't wait to get started on a headdress.

Shot from the side.

I Decided to drill out between the legs and I'm going to add toes but this a rough start - the drill battery died out on me.

As always - advice and feedback are much appreciated.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 11:19 pm   Permalink

So far you are off to a good start. The legs look great. It appears that you are improving from #1 to #2, and the fresh chisels help. What type of wood are you using on #2? Usually the wood will dictate how much detail you can achieve. I'm not sure about others, but I use 120 and 400 grit sandpaper on a clip board, one sheet each, and touch-up my chisels on that continuously (every 20-30mins of carving) as I work.

What are you burning the tikis with? Some use a propane or MAP gas torch, and some throw the whole log in a fire and let it cook, while others only use spray paint. It depends on what look you are going for. Thanks for sharing, as it looks like the tiki gods have claimed another victim.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Lounge Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-20 11:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Good to see another beginner on here. You're definitley off to a great start with your first one and the new full body. I'm also attempting a larger full body tiki. My advice to you about the features is to just either sketch them out or do very shallow cuts on the surface of either the tiki itself, or on a piece of scrap/firewood just to gauge it out. Hope this helped.

-LT

View Profile of The Lounge Tiki Send a personal message to The Lounge Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 05:46 am   Permalink

Putitiki, Welcome to the "Bitten" and to TC. Your second guy Really shows what a good set of chisels can do as this guy is really looking excellent so far. Personally I would prefer not to see the burning of the detail but rather a stain on the whole piece, letting the detail speak or itself.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 5:23 pm   Permalink

Welcome your coming along nicely! Good job on these early guys
stick around you will be a pro before you know it.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-23 7:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the warm feedback and welcome. I was starting to worry that my work wasn't up to par since I didn't get any hits after awhile.

TikiMango - The wood for #1 and #2 are from the same tree, I think it's some sort of maple. It grows down at my beach house in NJ but its been sitting in my garage drying out for at least two years. It cuts real nice. My next project involves one of two 4 foot white cedar logs with a 10 inch diameter I got from an Amish guy. I used a propane torch but will probably skip the torching on #2 since there's more detail.
Lounge Tiki - Good luck on your larger full body tiki. I'm going to try my hand at a 4 footer when I finish #2.
Benzart - I think I'll take you up on the advice for staining #2. Any advice on brand/color? I read various posts and it seems like everyone does different coats of different products to achieve an amazing overall look.
Seeksurf - I'm hoping to pull off that tall Lono holding the surfboard you did. Someday.... Need to start little and work big down the road.

Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 1:14 pm   Permalink

Hey PutiTiki, welcome on the addicted to carving tiki forum
Good job on your first creations.
I don't burn my details, I give them 1 or 2 extra layers of stain to make em dark.
Now stain should probably have it's own thread or magazine or something but since it's all secret resepies and formulas it just won't happen.
But seriously, just go to the shop and pick a color you like.
Get water based for things you are gonna put indoors. You can put it on in thin coats to get it as light or dark as you want it, and they dry real fast.
After stain you can put on a transparent coat of lacquer to deepen the color.
For more spectacular effects you can stain, sand, lacquer, stain, sand, lacquer etc.
The multiple layers breaks the light and makes magic when it reaches the wood.

Have Fun and keep up the good work,
Pat

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 09:43 am   Permalink

Any good dark stain will work great, dark walnut, ebony even too.. Minwax is good and I use cabot when I can

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-28 6:20 pm   Permalink

Have not been getting enough time to turn this tiki out as fast as I'd like but here are some progress shots.

Here is the back side. The fork is tightening a rubber band I rigged in lieu of a vice because I was working around his upper lip and chipped two massive chunks out.

Here is the front, a vast improvement from the first shot of his once club feet.

Although no one can see under his feet I thought it looked cool carving out actual feet and not leaving a complete round base.

I plan on buying the Black and Decker Mouse for detail sanding, it comes with 33 attachments. Anyone have any advice as far as sanders go?

Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-28 7:03 pm   Permalink

Looking good! Your carving skills are developing nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 8:38 pm   Permalink

Your stuffs lool'n great.I use a mouse sander and think it
works a treat.

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 9:12 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC. Really nice start on the tiki. Takes some guts to carve through on the just your second tiki. Great start on the feet as well. Nice design and nice use of the space, although it does look familiar. Anyway, keep up the great work and look forward to seeing the rest of the progress shots. Happy Carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 9:12 pm   Permalink

Nice work he is coming out great. I see you have run into the glue
fixes already. NICE WORK!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation