FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First Tiki Attempt
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
First Tiki Attempt
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-11 09:26 am   Permalink

Not going to be able to post any progress pics for some time because I'm studying for a certification test for work. However, purchased the B&D mouse sander with 33 attachments with advice from Watango and man, that thing works great for its price. Didn't bring my chisels down to the shore for the 4th so I just sanded for the weekend off instead.

Not sure what to do with the teeth. After sanding it out, it looks almost comic book style with one solid tooth and I love how smooth it is. Not sure whether to make individual teeth (partially afraid I'll mess it up or make it look worse). What do you guys think?

All that's left is the hard stuff - face/eyes/headdress. I take the test at the end of the month so hopefully I'll make up for lost tiki time and crank this bad boy out before winter rolls around.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 10:37 am   Permalink

Push yourself or you'll never try anything new... so I say make teeth! It's only wood (and your time, sweat and maybe blood), if you "mess up" you can carve a better one next time!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 11:57 am   Permalink

I agree. Go for it when you just start carving. That's where the developing of skills comes in but stay within reason. As an analogy, you wouldn't want to paint the Mona Lisa in your first art class.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 12:02 pm   Permalink

i agree with the 2 previous posts. he needs teeth. right now he looks like he'll gum you to death. he's looking good though. nice work.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 4:45 pm   Permalink

Definitely needs teeth, I Know you can do it, just Go for it!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 4:06 pm   Permalink

Again much progress here!! And quickly! Congrats!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 6:53 pm   Permalink

Looking great! way to sand like a mad man!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-11 12:25 pm   Permalink

Not much to report on. This summer has blown by and I haven't had as much time as I'd like to carve. I am determined to finish this, my second piece, by the end of August. I carved for awhile a few weeks back but never posted any progress.

Here is a start to the eyes and "face mask." I wanted to do a headdress but the way I carved the body, the face mask design stops at his lips.

By far my favorite part of this piece is the skull. My favorite holiday is Halloween so I think I did this skull some justice. I originally had all the fangs the same length but it looked stupid so its now a vampire or some kind of monkey skull with fangs - go figure.

I'd love some feedback on what to do with the back of his head..... Originally there was a large chunk running from his upper back to the top that I had some cool ideas for but when I drew the eyes, that large chunk was completely off center so I lopped it off with the chisels. Now he has a completely flat back and it looks boring. I have all this blank space to work with between the eyes and above his shoulders but no ideas where to go with it......

Thanks for checking in. This will be finished, do or die, by the end of August. I even purchased some Mahogany Red Minwax finish for it.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-11 9:34 pm   Permalink

Still looking great you cant go wrong on this guy.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 10:04 am   Permalink

YES, Definitely looking Excellent. The back can be covered by the headdress that should be all the way around, It's There you just gotts uncover it along with the Teeth .
Whatever you do it will be good even As-is.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-15 10:41 am   Permalink

Two questions looking for some advice on:
1) Want to get a urethane mallet because my bargain $4.99 ACE hardware one is going to break any day. Any recommendations on size. I've seen 12, 18, 20, and 30 oz.
2) Want some larger chisels for taking out a lot of mass in my next piece. On the fence about whether to invest in the FlexCut MC175 set of four mallet chisels. Compared to my Flexcut starter set, they look too large to be of any practical use. I don't plan on carving 10 foot pieces but something 4-6 feet requires a substantial tool. Anyone have this set and use it on a regular basis?

Thanks for the help.

big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 11:12 am   Permalink

racer x is looking mighty good there. like the fangs on the skull. good job.

my 2 cents...as for chisels, well i use cheap, sharp flat ones to knock off major pieces then use my better ones to shape and refine. also use a dremel on some small pieces for outlining and sanding. i know that several people use grinders and chainsaws on bigger pieces to remove the big stuff. i started using a hammer and was given a mallet for xmas (best gift) and don't know the weight on my mallet but after about 1 hour of swinging the damn thing it does feel like about 10 pounds, but a whole lot easier than the hammer. certain that you will get more and better feedback than what i've given you and don't know if any of what i wrote will help you but good luck finding what you need and/or want.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 12:38 pm   Permalink

Urethane mallets - the majority of the time I use a 20oz. mallet and for smaller detail I use a 12oz. I also have some smaller wooden ones that I made myself that can be used for very small detail.

I just bought the Flexcut Sculpture set from Timberline for $92+ (as seen on Amazon). Having a good all-around set is a great way to start.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-15 12:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-15 12:38, AlohaStation wrote:
Urethane mallets - the majority of the time I use a 20oz. mallet and for smaller detail I use a 12oz. I also have some smaller wooden ones that I made myself that can be used for very small detail.

I just bought the Flexcut Sculpture set from Timberline for $92+ (as seen on Amazon). Having a good all-around set is a great way to start.

Did you receive the set yet? I'm hesitant to buy if they normally sell for $124 -> $30 savings seems too good to be true. If you have them and they are genuine, then I'm buying.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 7:18 pm   Permalink

I actually called and they told me the price was $120. I told the guy i saw it on Amazon for $92 but did not see the set on their website. He told me they were out of the set but would give the the individual chisels at the Set price (no box). I paid and the package followed a few days later. Great service! The individual chisels came with a price tag on each of $62! Just started playing with them this weekend.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation