FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First Tiki Attempt
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
First Tiki Attempt
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-15 7:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-15 19:18, AlohaStation wrote:
I actually called and they told me the price was $120. I told the guy i saw it on Amazon for $92 but did not see the set on their website. He told me they were out of the set but would give the the individual chisels at the Set price (no box). I paid and the package followed a few days later. Great service! The individual chisels came with a price tag on each of $62! Just started playing with them this weekend.

I actually went ahead and ordered them earlier today. I started freaking out when I read your last post. Did they contact you about the $120 price? Do you have someone I can email about it or should I just wait to hear from them? I could care less about a box, I just don't want to get charged the full $120 when the site listed it at $92.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-15 10:41, PutiTiki wrote:
Two questions looking for some advice on:
1) Want to get a urethane mallet because my bargain $4.99 ACE hardware one is going to break any day. Any recommendations on size. I've seen 12, 18, 20, and 30 oz.
2) Want some larger chisels for taking out a lot of mass in my next piece. On the fence about whether to invest in the FlexCut MC175 set of four mallet chisels. Compared to my Flexcut starter set, they look too large to be of any practical use. I don't plan on carving 10 foot pieces but something 4-6 feet requires a substantial tool. Anyone have this set and use it on a regular basis?

Thanks for the help.

I'm currently using a rubber mallet, 16oz. Works pretty good. I'm sure the urethane mallet is better but haven't gotten yet.

As for the chisels I have one small wood carving set, palm sized, that I bought a long time ago. I basically just use the gauge and straight chisel from that set. The rest of my chisels are straight chisels of good quality bought from the local hardware store. Then I'm using a variety of dremel bits in addition to that.

Your tiki is coming along great! You could continue the headdress around the back or carve out the flat part currently in the back to make the two lines of the headress currently shown stand out better. Then you can make a dividing line between the head and back. Might be a compromise between doing a full headdress if you don't want to go there.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-25 9:23 pm   Permalink

Well, as promised I finished Tiki #2. Overall, extremely happy with my results. I managed to get my first head dress finished which I free-handed on the fly since my original plans went out the window when I took a large chunk off his back. I look at tikis all over this website and love certain features in each and tried to incorporate a few of those on this piece: 1) Had to have a skull = BADA$$ 2) The criss-cross "face mask" of Tiki God Kane 3) Deep cuts in the mouth 4) Full 3-D Body. As far as the stain, it did not turn out how I liked. I was so happy to finish carving/sanding that I had to stain it before another day passed so I did so in poor lighting and put the stain on wayyyyy to thick. I'm currently deciding whether to sand the entire thing and leave the dark stain in all the crevices and inlays then go over with a lighter stain or just leave it as is and move onto #3......

Thanks for checking in.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-25 9:39 pm   Permalink

PT, It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks a bit washed out without some type of clear coat to go over that stain. If the stain was applied too thick, you may want to rub it down with a cloth and rubbing alcohol or something else to strip it down a bit. Or maybe a quick sand on all of the high spots like you mentioned, then a light stain over that. I think it's a killer tiki and definitely not ready to give up and move on to the next.

Good luck!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 07:21 am   Permalink

Great tiki - I think a rejig of the stain would work wonders!

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 1:49 pm   Permalink

Kool look'n peice!I'd be give'n this guy a rough once over with the mouse and
restain'n him with a few coats of various stains that compliment each other then
maybe a wax.(just a thought).Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 05:32 am   Permalink

Your details are really excellent. It had to have taken some time to do. I have had the same problem with the stain several times. It is has be a leraning process for me as I spend a great deal of time carving. Then when you think you are finished and all that needs to be done is throw on a quick coat of stain, you find that it is not the way you hoped. The finish will usually highlight the rough spots. I have to force myself to bear down and bite the bullet. To go back and sand it really sucks, but it is a small time invested compared to how long you will have it.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 06:26 am   Permalink

I like it! I think it came out great. Even the stain looks good to me - but is the color in the pics just caused from the indoor flash? It has kind of a silvery sheen to it. Is that not what it really looks like? It also looks like it already has different highlights on the edges - like wear. Did you do this or is that just the staining issue you're talking about?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-20 08:22 am   Permalink

Tried the mouse on this guy to tone down the stain but even the finest grit paper took all the color away so I ended up scrubbing him with some steel wool. Re-stained after the steel wool with a very light pine color and used some spray varnish. I'm very pleased with how he looks after the seal coat because in the last pictures I posted, the finish looks horrible.

My friend just called because he is cutting down a monster pine tree so #3 is on his way..... Check back later.

-PutiTiki

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 1:15 pm   Permalink

The refinish job was the ticket, looks great! I like to see the detail of the wood come threw.
Keep it up.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 3:58 pm   Permalink

Nice refinish! Way to not concede to a piece until you're happy with it.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 11:08 pm   Permalink

Excellent refinish and very nice tiki! Keep up the great work.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-21 06:55 am   Permalink

Atomic, Mango, Lizard - Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad I put some more time into the piece.

General question to all carvers - Just cut down fresh pine, not sure what kind. I sealed the ends with a spray on varnish but its seeping sap all over the place. Anyone carve fresh pine before? I'm looking for a recommendation on drying it out and when to carve it.

- PutiTiki

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 08:01 am   Permalink

Puti, I love the final finish on this tiki, Excellent work and follow-through. Good on'ya for not chucking it and starting new. Those lessons are the Best ones, when you take the time to figure out the problems encountered while carving Anything. Way to GO!
Here is a group of "Lessons" you can download for free which all are wood carving related including 2 for sharpening. They are called "Slipstones" and come from Chris Pye, an English True Master Carver and teacher. He even carves for the Royal Family. anyway
HERE are the downloads in pdf form. Hope you get them all and that you will get something from them.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 9:37 pm   Permalink

Yes! He looks fantastic right now with that finish.
I hear you. It kills me when i saw a black crappy finish on one of
my early tikis.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation