FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First Tiki Attempt
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
First Tiki Attempt
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-29 07:47 am   Permalink

So after many moons I have returned to TC. I started a new job in the fall and I'm sad to say I have not channeled my tiki passion since the warm days of summer. However, the tiki fire was recently re-ignited after booking vacation for the grand opening of the Tiki Bar in Solomon's Island http://www.tikibarsolomons.com/Home.aspx a recent tradition I started. So I return to TC with some questions before starting things back up again.

I have 4 nice sized logs in my garage - 2 white cedar and 2 some sort of pine. The cedars are bone dry and unfortunately cracked all over but still carve-able while the pines are rock hard and sap covered.

The temperature are mid 30s around me and my garage isn't too much warmer - is that too cold to carve? Will cold wood damage chisels? I want to let some chips fly this weekend but the pines are like rock (I doubt they are completely dried out despite being cute down in June) while the cedar is dry and cold.

Anyone carve in cold temps? Any recommendations? I've been scouring TC posts the past few days and the creative juices are flowing.

-PutiTiki

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 10:58 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-01-29 07:47, PutiTiki wrote:

Anyone carve in cold temps? Any recommendations?

----Wear a coat.

The temperature are mid 30s around me and my garage isn't too much warmer - is that too cold to carve? Will cold wood damage chisels? I want to let some chips fly this weekend but the pines are like rock.

----Go for it, it won't hurt your chisels. I carve outside in the winter all the time, even below zero at times (admittedly not for long)

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-11 6:14 pm   Permalink

Well I've been a stranger to any sort of progress on my carvings since my last tiki but not to TC. I visit on a daily basis and truly love what I see. I have a pile of logs in my garage and the tools but can never find the time. Today I got fed up with seeing all your work and not having anything to contribute so I grabbed a dried out log and free handed more or less.

Definitely learned some things working on the fly. I still have plenty of work left on this carve but I knew another beautiful day would go by with no carving if I obsessed over drawing it out. Being this is #3, I wanted to try my hand at a Marquesan.

Looking for advice - do the teeth usually go around 360? As of now, he has no lips so I'm unsure of what to do with the space between his hands and his teeth. After working the eye out, I'm getting a 'creature from the black lagoon' look from his gills.

I have a wood burning soldering iron thing, so I plan to do some cool design/tattoo on him once he's done and use a light stain to let the grain show through.

Thanks for checking it and keep the tikis coming.

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 6:33 pm   Permalink

I love it Just with chisels . That actuslly looks like it gives you a lot of control,,

Keep it up!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 09:11 am   Permalink

I'm right there with you when it comes to scetching things out. If I waited to complete a drawing, I'd never carve anything. Everyone has their own approach I suppose. Just keep peeling off the layers and see what comes out.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 09:11 am   Permalink

I'm right there with you when it comes to scetching things out. If I waited to complete a drawing, I'd never carve anything. Everyone has their own approach I suppose. Just keep peeling off the layers and see what comes out.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 1:40 pm   Permalink

Very Nice for #3. You are doing great. there are many Marquesan to choose from what ever you come up with will work.
On the #4 one just apply what you learned or wished you had done on the last one.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation