FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Converting netted glass float balls into hanging lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Converting netted glass float balls into hanging lamps
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-01 12:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Chris .Finishing up on a cobalt blue float for you today ,you will be just as
stoked with this great looking color of glass float .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-27 3:06 pm   Permalink

Had two more glass floats break again while drilling with diamond bit , however the third
one came out A ok. Since these are hand blown , there are thin on oneside of the glass
ball and thicker on other sides.Until you actually start cutting you really cant tell
which side is thicker or not.Thought about cutting and drilling hole where the nipple is
from being hand blown , but the bit won't come down close and even to surface while
drilling .Here are a couple of pics of the cobalt blue glass float before I frosted it
and shipped it off to WestADad in Nebraska .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-10-27 4:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-27 15:06, 1961surf wrote:
...Until you actually start cutting you really cant tell
which side is thicker or not.

Maybe it's possible to determine which area is thickest by putting the float in water? The thicker area would be heavier and while floating would rotate to the bottom? I don't know for sure if this would work, I'm just theorizing.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-27 4:43 pm   Permalink

Good one Loogie! That's called gedankenexperiment, the act of carrying out an experiment only in your mind. The term was popularized by Albert Einstein, who applied gedankenexperiment to his work conceptualizing the theory of relativity.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-28 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-27 15:06, 1961surf wrote:
Had two more glass floats break again while drilling with diamond bit , however the third
one came out A ok. Since these are hand blown , there are thin on oneside of the glass
ball and thicker on other sides.Until you actually start cutting you really cant tell
which side is thicker or not.Thought about cutting and drilling hole where the nipple is
from being hand blown , but the bit won't come down close and even to surface while
drilling .Here are a couple of pics of the cobalt blue glass float before I frosted it
and shipped it off to WestADad in Nebraska .

These don't look like "real fish floats." I don't see those colors much. Are they old flotsom or are they new decor pieces?

I am assuming you are using a drill press. Correct? I would only do this very slowly with a DP. I got some cheap ones recently ($24 of one foot diameter) and have been considering trying my hand at it. Better to throw away $24 than the usual $65-75 these things run around here. As the old saying goes, let the tool do the work. i.e. next to zero pressure...

Details man, details! Me want! I thought surely someone had solved this puzzle by now...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-29 6:35 pm   Permalink

@ Swanky most of the colored glass float lamps that were made in the 50's & 60's that were
hanging from the ceilings of tiki establishments, were never actual real Japanese net floats.
Most were made for exactly that.... hanging lamps.You of all people with your vast knowledge ,
I would think- would know that.You can not use a drill press... been there done that- too much
vibration!Most original Japanese net floats were clear green only .
I am converting reproduction China made glass netted balls (seven colors )into hang and swag lamps.

The glass ball sits in a concaved large rubber donut to absorb vibration when
cutting , while a second person is shooting a water stream to cool diamond core bit.
Keep in mind , I have a local glass shop that is very knowledgable in glass cutting,
actually cutting these for me .... and charging me up the kazoo to do so !

@Lugi and MadDog ...I wish that theory actually worked!
My next goal is to find the right chemical acid wash to etch the inside of glass,
primarily for outdoor and exterior applications.I don't like working with
chemicals that you have to wear gloves so it doesn't burn the skin right
off your arms.It's necessary though to withstand the elements , as discussed
prior in this thread .WestADad's turned out well ....I am sure he will post
an exterior night shot once he gets it hung up.The cobalt blue looks great at night.
You watch.... WestADad will eventually have at least 5-6 glass float lamps in
his tiki hut and backyard !

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2010-10-29 20:53 ]

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 08:46 am   Permalink

Hey there! UPS man brought me a big box of blue ball today! Another succesful shipment, no breakage.

I'll get it home, tied up and some pictures taken soon.

Bill, I put the cradle/box back on UPS today as well. Will PM you the tracking number if you need it.

After the holiday's are over I'll order a yellow ball next.

Thanks again Bill, great work.

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 08:59 am   Permalink

'61, you may already be familiar with it but Michael's Crafts sells a product call Armour Etch

An acid creme for etching glass. Because it is a creme, it stays in place and is safer than a liquid (it's still caustic, but it's easier to control where it goes)

It's made for etching designs in glass, it can be difficult to get even coverage on large areas. Maybe etching twice would give better coverage?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 09:23 am   Permalink

I didn't mean were they the real thing as in what hangs in Trader Vic's. Those are not real fish floats. I meant are they real, pulled from the ocean fish floats because I have some I have considered trying to open up. The best solution would be to just find some clear or translucent globes already with the opening for the fixture. I found about 5 a few years ago and have yet to do anything with them because the colors are just off.

And I assume a glass cutter is not an answer either? Anybody got a plasma cutter?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 5:35 pm   Permalink

Temporary location....

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 10:34 pm   Permalink

Glad to hear it arrived safe WestADad .Tough to photograph the float lamps....the flash
from camera makes the bulbs brighter then they really are inside the glass.Yellow will
look incredible with these .

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 10:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 08:59, MadDogMike wrote:
'61, you may already be familiar with it but Michael's Crafts sells a product call Armour Etch

An acid creme for etching glass. Because it is a creme, it stays in place and is safer than a liquid (it's still caustic, but it's easier to control where it goes)

It's made for etching designs in glass, it can be difficult to get even coverage on large areas. Maybe etching twice would give better coverage?

@ MadDog....I will check that out .This may work !@Swanky...the vintage glass balls are
thick and do not break when cutting.They work great for lamps , however the colors look
the best as swag lamps and hanging float lamps .The vintage floats you are referring to
work well for putting the lit up puffer fish inside as well.Swanky you still have any
large puffer fish available....I could use a few .

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 17:35, WestADad wrote:
Temporary location....

They look great Scott!

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 05:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 22:50, 1961surf wrote:
They look great Scott!

I've been called worse.

Chris

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 09:00 am   Permalink

When I made my faux fish float lamps, I found a glass frosting paint at the hobby store I used. Swirled it around inside till everything was covered and then let it all drip out and dry. That gave me the translucent look I wanted so you can't see the bulb inside. No acids used, just a bit of "glaze."

That's cool if that is right and these floats I have are the real deal. I may see if I can drill one open. They are very heavy.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation