FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaiian Village, Myrtle Beach, SC (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hawaiian Village, Myrtle Beach, SC (motel)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 4:58 pm   Permalink

Name:Hawaiian Village
Type:motel
Street:U.S. 17 Nth. at 39th Ave.
City:Myrtle Beach
State:SC
Zip:unknown
Phone:

Description:
The Hawaiian Village was originally built in 1948 as the El Ranch Motel. It was renovated in 1965 and renamed the Hawaiian Village. The large grounds contained many small buildings including guest rooms and the Hawaiian Village Restaurant featuring The Bora Bora Room. A large pool with it's own island with palm trees was also on the property. The motel lasted until it was torn down in 1979 to make way for a new strip mall. I am not sure how Tiki the place was but the sign would make the top twenty list at least. I have many pictures with descriptions to post so give me a few and I'll get them right out. Thanks

First up a great rendering of the motel

And another from the collection of Tim Haack

A great interior shot of the restaurant

A menu from the collection of Wayne Aiken.

Now a little signage.

The lobby.

Check-in time.

Cooking for the luau.

Meeting room.

The pool.

That's all for now.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-06-21 17:29 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 6:33 pm   Permalink

The menu is an obvious ripoff of the Hawaiian Village Tampa menu. Wonder if they did the matchbook as well, as many other establishments did.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 06:10 am   Permalink

Great material, Unc. Is it from a brochure? The "El Rancho" turns into "Hawaiian Village", what a classic.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-22 08:52 am   Permalink

Wow, that dining room looks great. Love the bridge going over stream, right in the middle of the place.

Why don't people do that anymore ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 09:54 am   Permalink

My blather post number 1 and post number 2 with relevant comments.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-22 11:22 am   Permalink

Good find, Tim. And the Tikis sure are Witco.

In Tiki Modern page 168 (the first image of Part 2) there is a rendering of those guys, the catalog being from 1962. Westenhaver sure peppered Florida Hotels with his wood!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-29 10:05 am   Permalink

See prior comments about the Hawaiian Village here:

http://www.swankpad.org/blather/2006/09/15/hawaiian-village-restaurant-myrtle-beach-sc/

I frequented the restaurant as a kid - and yes, it was tres tiki with waterfalls, tiki mugs galore, etc. My first tiki experience (who can ever forget?). And yes, the restaurant burned to the ground and I doubt it was done in by a flaming Pu-Pu tray.

I was hoping the photographer of the interior of the restaurant might still have more interior shots, but he told me he had to use so many flash bulbs to just get that one shot, that was the only one he could take of that space!

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 5:10 pm   Permalink

Matchbook

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Max_Power

Posted: 2009-12-16 2:07 pm   Permalink

I too stayed there as a child. I have old Polaroid photos of family and me lounging in tiki bliss. I remember drinking way too many Shirley Temples, walking over the bridge, and swimming to the island in the pool. I showed this thread to my wife to try and explain my tiki fever. I guess growing up in Philippines it is no big deal. But to dumb old county boy high on cherry juice and sprite it made a lasting impression. Ill scan the Polariods and post over the Christmas break. Thanks for all of the details.

Max_Power

maxpower@sc.rr.com

My mother Patricia S. Bishop by the pool.

The Village July 1965
Check out the roof line.

The Village July 1966
The island in the pool.

The Village July 1967

[ This Message was edited by: Max_Power 2009-12-26 09:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Max_Power 2009-12-27 15:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Max_Power 2009-12-29 14:26 ]

View Profile of Max_Power Send a personal message to Max_Power  Email Max_Power Goto the website of Max_Power     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 6:36 pm   Permalink

I love this thread, those brochure pics are too cool. This matchbook has a nice rendering of the Asian A-frame:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-04 08:03 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

I like this thread too. That is a great matchbook. Here is a photo that is for sale on-line showing the Asian A-Frame and another neon Tiki that was on the grounds. I am assuming that is the restaurant building.

Speaking of the restaurant, found this article. It met a fiery death on September 7, 1974.

Sure a lot of Poly Pop places that went up in smoke. Something to do with the "flammable decorations inside" no doubt.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

I just got these three orange swizzles from the Hawaiian Village. I am assuming they had to be from this place as the Hawaiian Villages in Hawaii and Tampa had their own logo swizzles.

The Tiki looks a bit like the PMP Tiki mug.

The font on the swizzle also looks a lot like the font on the matchbook that Bigbro posted.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

Did you say ORANGE swizzle sticks? Three of them?

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-12 12:48 pm   Permalink

Picked up another variety of the cool die cut matchbook from the Hawaiian Village.

Info on the back of the matchbook.

DC

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 5:03 pm   Permalink

Found this menu. Not marked Myrtle Beach, but it must be by way of the logo. Here are all the pages in case it means anything to someone later.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation