FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waikiki Club, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island, CA (bar)
Remove Highlighting
Waikiki Club, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island, CA (bar)
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 9:45 pm   Permalink

Name:Waikiki Club
Type:bar
Street:
City:Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:AValon 916

Description:
Ted Enoch's Waikiki Club on Catalina Island
from inside of matchbook(no inside images,only text)
"Authentic Tropical Drinks
Finest in Entertainment & Dancing
Cocktail Parties Arranged For Your Group"
BOX E Phone AValon 916

Nothing else known about this place at this time.

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-06-24 21:46 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 9:58 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-06-24 22:06 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 10:02 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 10:07 pm   Permalink

Tom Slick,

Nice Matchbook.

Mimi has this menu for the New Waikiki on Catalina on her website (Arkiva Tropika).
I wonder if it is the same place or if they were connected?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 10:20 pm   Permalink

Hey DC, nice dig on the menu. I googled both the owner and the location(Waikiki Club, Catalina Island), but came up with NOTHING.

In any case, I wouldn't doubt that these are one and the same. It probably was sold by Ted Enoch, and the newer buyer probably renamed it to the "New Waikiki" along with that menu design. That would only be my guess. One would think that the Island would really be too small to accommodate two different Waikiki bars/clubs from the mid century timespan, but you never know unless someone confirms something... I wonder if the menu has the address or phone number inside, maybe even the PO box letter as on my matchbook?

**EDIT** I also noticed right now, that the Arkiva Tropika menu shows "Catalina Island", and my matchbook says "Santa Catalina Island". Not a huge difference by today's standards, but as I understand, the simpling down a name can also help to "period-date" items, as well as looking at the phone numbers. Also no use of the word "New" on the matchbook, vs. the menu.

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2009-06-24 22:32 ]

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 2:57 pm   Permalink

I love that matchbook ! I just checked the inside of the menu, and there's no address... yet I do have a little bit of info:

The New Waikiki was located on Crescent Ave in Avalon, and was also next to the Hurricane Cove restaurant. (I corresponded with one of the family members of the Hurricane Cove earlier this year, and asked him about the New Waikiki...) He also told me that the Hurricane Cove is a bank now, the Waikiki is a golf cart rental parking lot.

so.... I did a quick google search, and since there's only one bank on Catalina, at 303 Crescent Avenue... that's where the Hurricane Cove was. There's a few golf cart rentals on 615 & 625 Crescent Ave, so I'm thinkin' it was somewhere between 303 & 625 Crescent Ave.

Oh yeah ! And here's a matchcover from the possibly another incarnation of the Waikiki Club... it has a different phone number than the Waikiki Club, yet the Crescent Ave. mention on the inside of the matchcover matches up with the info above.

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-26 08:44 am   Permalink

Wow, thanks for sharing Pua...Now there are 3 phone numbers and all are different. There are two phone numbers on your matchbook, which neither match mine or the other. Could there have been different locations? Could one of them have burned down, and relocated? It could be that the Waikiki Club was a different section or area of the same property. I see words like Hotel, Club, and Hickory Room, which would lead me to believe maybe the place was bigger than I had originally thought. I agree with your address theory, Pua. Great research Pua and DC!

This is why I love TC! Everyone has a piece of the puzzle...I hope more of the pieces come together over time, to draw out a clearer picture!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-06 10:55 pm   Permalink

Puamana,

That is a great matchbook, love the pose on the beach!

I have this postcard image from the Hurricane Cove which was just down the street from the Waikiki on Avalon. You can see some nice bamboo work and murals.

Cool that you talked to the family that owned it.

DC

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-09 08:47 am   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 8:11 pm   Permalink

Nice find on that napkin Hiltiki.

Here is another photo folder from the Waikiki from Arkiva Tropika. A nice shot of the interior.

These matchbooks list Carl Zeiner as the owner.

This obit indicates that the place burned down in the late 1970s.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-07 2:20 pm   Permalink

Here's an ad from a 1971 Catalina Island newspaper for the New Waikiki:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-27 11:38 am   Permalink

1958 Catalina Grand Prix

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation