FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving can we talk about CHAINSAWS??? Help the NOOB
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
can we talk about CHAINSAWS??? Help the NOOB
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 10:49 am   Permalink

Done deal.

Just got back from Sears, and it was $70 bucks out the door. I guess it's actually a discontiued item, but they'll give me full purchase value if I burn it out.

We'll see how she flies.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PutiTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-14 3:31 pm   Permalink

Read through the post and have some questions. Here is my plan, and please correct me if any part of this is wrong. I plan to buy a electric chainsaw at Home Depot and purchase a separate carving bar. As far as the saw, I am wondering what Horse Power is recommended. I have seen 1.5HP - 4HP. I assume the more HP, the faster and cleaner it will rip through the log. And as for the carving bar - dime/quarter, I have read that you can use a standard chain (as in the stock chain that comes with the saw) on the quarter bar but NOT the dime bar.

All in all I need the saw, an extension chord, and the bar - correct? Any modifications or changes when putting the quarter bar on?

Appreciate the help.

-PutiTiki

View Profile of PutiTiki Send a personal message to PutiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-14 5:04 pm   Permalink

Have you used a chainsaw before? Have you carved any tikis before? What size tikis are you planning in carving?

IMO, I would use the bar and chain that comes with whichever saw you buy. Use it for a while, get as good as you can with that bar. Chances are, it'll do fine for you, unless you're going to do scrollwork on a 1 foot tiki.

I would get the highest rated HP you can. I would also get a chain file and learn how to keep your chain sharp. It makes ALL the difference!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 07:27 am   Permalink

^ ditto that ^

A dull chainsaw is about as useless as big boobs on a nun! (and almost as frustrating).

Hey bro, go get one from Sears like I did and pay extra for the exchange warranty, that way you can just keep killin' em and switching 'em out.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation