FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Prog Rock!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Prog Rock!
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-07-16 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-16 10:12, White Devil wrote:
This reminds me of the bar band that was playing at the Atlanta Trader Vic's last week, when Tiger Lily, Basement Kahuna and his girlfriend Brooke and I visited. We were "treated" to a medley of eighties ballads, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson and Lynyrd Skynyrd (all accompanied by the Theremin) instead of tiki bar music. I would recommend firing this band ASAP and hiring our late-model Asian server to sing, instead.

Thanks to Virani, theremins are being used for positive purposes as well.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32786&forum=11&start=0

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 12:49 pm   Permalink

Lucas wins!

It was Caravan.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 1:02 pm   Permalink

[/quote]

Thanks to Virani, theremins are being used for positive purposes as well.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32786&forum=11&start=0
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to buy a copy of that. Heck, I'd buy it just for the cover artwork alone. Theremins and UFOs.....how could you go wrong?

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 9:11 pm   Permalink

BTW there's a great prog/psych record shop right behind the light gallery. I was there w/ Kinny a couple weeks ago and saw lots of stuff I would have spent bread on if I wasn't building a gallery.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 9:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-04 17:40, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Not all of these bands are considered "Prog Rock" by definition, but where is the line drawn between prog rock, industrial, electronica, ambient, experimental and white noise?

Confusing huh? That's prog for ya. Faust and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso are in the same record bin!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Runner
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2009-08-11 8:33 pm   Permalink

Squid, saw you in another life
Went to 3 Camel shows and 3 Caravan shows in the Bay Area

best Prog band in the US today The Grails Portland, OR

View Profile of Rum Runner Send a personal message to Rum Runner  Email Rum Runner     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 6:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

One of the other aspects of prog rock was a high level of musicianship, and these guys just don't have it.

I agree. I saw Carl Palmer do a drum clinic in Worcester, Mass a few years back & he was amazing on that stage all by himself. Also saw the band 3 (Keith Emerson, Carl Palmer & Robert Berry) at The Living Room in Providence in the 80's. Keith Emerson was playing 2 keyboards all the while talking & laughing with one of the roadies. This was a great band that never made it past one album. If you get a chance you should check it out. Third row for ELP in the 90's, WOW! Third row for Yes in the round in the 80's, WOW! I got into that stuff in Junior High when everyone else judged their cool level by how many times they'd seen Saturday Night Fever. Still put the old vinyl on from time to time & just veg!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation