FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge If this Tiki thing is nothing more than escapism, what (in particular) are you escaping from?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
If this Tiki thing is nothing more than escapism, what (in particular) are you escaping from?
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-01 13:52, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-06-30 14:43, White Devil wrote:
what (or who) are you trying to escape from?

In the movie "The Wild One", didn't a woman ask the character played by Marlon Brando the same question and his reply was "What have ya got?"?

I believe the line was "what is it you fellas are rebeling against?" -his reply "what have you got ?"

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 4:15 pm   Permalink

Tipsy, I totally agree with what you are saying.

My point was, to me the era of 1940's to 1960's had some cultural elements that is a shame are no longer around. That being said there was also some real crap happening during that time period as well. Korean War, Cold War, McCarthyism, JFK assasination, Civil Rights (or lack there of). So yes, all eras have their share of bad stuff, well noted.

Bring back the cars, music, fashion, and TIKI BARS from that era is all I'm saying.

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 07:08 am   Permalink

How does one Escape Escapism?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 09:29 am   Permalink

How does one divide by Zero?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-02 09:29, little lost tiki wrote:
How does one divide by Zero?

Answer: Nature does it by creating a singularity. Man does it by creating a "Pink Chihuahua" mug and passing it off as Tiki.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:03 am   Permalink

I am escaping from my shiite job!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:03 am   Permalink

@@**#&!!

[ This Message was edited by: rugbymatt 2009-07-02 11:04 ]

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-02 1:57 pm   Permalink

I'm trying to escape from having to answer questions like these!

"Handling" life to me is getting the most personal fulfillment out of life as possible (which is different for everyone), and a big part of that for me is seeking out old restaurants and bars, trying a large variety of booze and cocktails, travel, etc. This is all part of the classic tiki experience IMO.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 2:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-02 11:03, rugbymatt wrote:
"I am escaping from my shiite job!"

What job is that... an Ayatollah?

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:11 pm   Permalink

What a great question to ask. But nobody is really trying escape as in "Escape from New York". Escapism in this sense is more like children playing "dress-up" or building a tree-house.

It's also like role-play.

Setting a side the intellectual aspects of tiki, i.e the drinks, velvet nudes, screaming folic symbols, exotica music, etc. all of which can be enjoyed from a pure academic interest, the tiki culture that Don the Beachcomber dreamt up connects to man's desire to lay down his tools and vacation for a brief moment in an idyllic place where the drinks are strong, the room is dark, and the women have big tits.

Okay... that last part was put in there to emphasis that being PC is also something from which we also want to escape. Don't believe me, just recall the last Tiki Oasis and the hotel room where Thee Swank Bastards were playing.

Yah, I saw you all there... and it wasn't the musicians you were all staring at.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2009-07-03 05:02 am   Permalink

Absolutely...I think the darkened room aspect also helps tone down the cheesiness of some of the decor. There've been some great perspectives posted here re: escapism. I just wanted to note that my own take on it excludes the latter-day frantic party atmosphere that has come to prevail at many of the poolside party events. Tiki bars were founded by tired, weary middle-age guys like me who just wanted to mellow out on the delicious cocktails, gaze at the anatomy and not be bothered by all the stuff that folks have said they're trying to escape from. You like to dance and whoop it up? Great, kid. Go do that at the opposite end of the joint: my friend and I were enjoying a quiet meal and good conversation.
For me, I think a large part of the appeal of haunting places like the Atlanta Trader Vic's goes back to my lifelong habit of frequenting restaurants that are almost empty. In college I would study at the nearby buffet restaurant between lunch and dinner when no one but the staff was around. I was a regular like the employees and could've left my study materials on my table from day to day if I'd wanted, almost. I could leisurely sample whatever food was out, drink endless coffee and not be bothered by anyone I didn't want to be bothered by. To this day, I still have dreams about that restaurant (closed from the mall and relocated into a smaller space now), and in the dreams, the buffet line extends into infinity. Perhaps it's just my loner tendencies, but it's tough to reconcile the loud, obnoxious party atmosphere (something I associate with the Ugly American syndrome as depicted in the novel of the same name) with the dark, quiet refuge that a good Tiki bar should be.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-03 05:02, White Devil wrote:
Absolutely...I think the darkened room aspect also helps tone down the cheesiness of some of the decor. There've been some great perspectives posted here re: escapism. I just wanted to note that my own take on it excludes the latter-day frantic party atmosphere that has come to prevail at many of the poolside party events. Tiki bars were founded by tired, weary middle-age guys like me who just wanted to mellow out on the delicious cocktails, gaze at the anatomy and not be bothered by all the stuff that folks have said they're trying to escape from. You like to dance and whoop it up? Great, kid. Go do that at the opposite end of the joint: my friend and I were enjoying a quiet meal and good conversation.

I agree with you so much... except the reality of the situation is that many of the same people who went to Tiki Bars were also Shriners. Ever been to a Shriner's convention.

Better bring your ear plugs.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-03 11:31 am   Permalink

Alot of the time, it's more about what GROG escaping TO and not FROM.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-03 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-03 11:31, GROG wrote:
Alot of the time, it's more about what GROG escaping TO and not FROM.

Exactly,
I don't need a drink, I just want a drink.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation