FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: "Bali Hai's World Famous Mai Tai" - in the San Diego Union-Tribune
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Recipe: "Bali Hai's World Famous Mai Tai" - in the San Diego Union-Tribune
tropicali*honey
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-01 9:40 pm   Permalink

Article in today's FOOD Section of the Bali Hai's Mai Tai recipe.

View Profile of tropicali*honey Send a personal message to tropicali*honey  Email tropicali*honey Goto the website of tropicali*honey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-07-01 10:11 pm   Permalink

The article states; "What makes the Bali Hai version so special is that it contains no fruit juice..."

The menus at the Bali also boast about their Mai Tai having "no fruit juice"

Now let's look at the recipe.... Do I see Sweet and Sour?

Yes.

Now anybody here should know what goes in to Sweet and Sour mix. Typically lemon juice and sugar syrup, or sometimes lime juice and sugar syrup, or a combination of lemon, lime and sugar.

So based on the Bali Hai boastful claim, does this mean that the Sweet and Sour mix used at the Bali Hai contains no actual lemon or lime juice and is artificially flavored? Why are they bragging about this? Or does their sweet and sour actually have juice in it and they just don't know what they're saying. Either way, this looses points in my book.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-01 10:27 pm   Permalink

And how do we know that the sweet n' sour mix used at Bali Hai actually contains real lemon juice? It could be artificial lemon and corn syrup for all we know.

IMHO, I give the Bali Hai Mai Tai the thumbs down. There are so many better things to drink there. If I want a Mai Tai I'll have one at Vic's, Tiki Ti, Don the Beachcomber, Tony's... but I can do without the Bali Hai Mai Tai.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2009-07-02 06:37 am   Permalink

Doesn't one of the Beachbum Berry books have a Bali Hai Mai Tai recipe in it? How does it compare with this one? (I'm at work )

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 07:18 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2009-07-02 06:37, Rum Balls wrote:
Doesn't one of the Beachbum Berry books have a Bali Hai Mai Tai recipe in it? How does it compare with this one? (I'm at work )

Yes, the Bali Hai Mai Tai is in Intoxica. It's the same recipe as published, but it specifies 1 oz. of sweet and sour instead of "to fill the glass".

~Gina

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-01 22:27, PiPhiRho wrote:

IMHO, I give the Bali Hai Mai Tai the thumbs down. There are so many better things to drink there. If I want a Mai Tai I'll have one at Vic's, Tiki Ti, Don the Beachcomber, Tony's... but I can do without the Bali Hai Mai Tai.

I'm glad you said this. I tried a Bali Hai Mai Tai at a recently-past Oasis and found it to be overly strong without the elements that make a Mai Tai "mai tai." There are better things to drink at the Bali Hai. If I want all booze, I'll order a Manhattan.

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:09 am   Permalink

Everyone says how strong the Bali Hai Mai Tai is, but it has the same amount of rum as a trader vics...2 oz.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've had the Mr Bali Hai and the Scorpion bowl and liked them both.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:50 am   Permalink

The possible reason for it being so strong is that their bartenders usualy don't measure anything
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:57 am   Permalink

I always find Bali Hai's mai tai to be really strong. Maybe they put more rum in it than they tell you.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:16 am   Permalink

I don't like them at all.
if someone gave me one for free,
I would refuse it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Stopped by Bali Hai last year. Had lunch there during the middle of the week.

They advertise the Mai Tai as "strong". Right on the drinks menu.

My first tropical drink at any Polynesian restaurant, first visit, is always a Mai Tai. My gauge for "quality" I guess.

Well I ordered two Mai Tais, one for me one for Melany. When they arrived at the table they looked fantastic. Proper color and all that stuff. Plus mint and pineapple garnish.

Mel took one sip off of her Mai Tai and could not drink the rest of it! Too strong!
The drink was mostly all rum with very little fruit (lime).

I ended up drinking both cocktails during lunch and felt no pain afterward. I was off the ground you could say. Spent the rest of the afternoon at the tide pools near the lighthouse close-by the Bali Hai. The buzz lasted all afternoon! Awesome.

While I will agree the Bali Hai Mai Tai was strong - it sure beat the Mr. Tiki Mai Tai I had the night before in downtown SD - all red syrup and served in a hurricane glass...wtf?

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 11:56 am   Permalink

In the above recipe, is it OK to substitute Myers's rum for "Meyers"?
The sour mix probably doesn't contain any lemon juice - citric acid and corn syrup.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-02 10:57, arriano wrote:
I always find Bali Hai's mai tai to be really strong. Maybe they put more rum in it than they tell you.

Strong? Last time I drank one it singed off my eyebrows.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn

Posted: 2009-07-03 10:02 am   Permalink

went the other night for a birthday cocktail, strong as usual...

They use coruba now rather than meyers, and you can request an all Meyers variant if you want (now light rum, double meyers)

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki leki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-04 08:37 am   Permalink

I believe thay also float 151 on top , thats where the kick comes from.

View Profile of tiki leki Send a personal message to tiki leki  Email tiki leki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation