FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Lounge music forums?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Lounge music forums?
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 07, 2005
Posts: 284
From: New York City
Posted: 2009-10-28 10:26 am   Permalink

PERFECT soundtrack for a tiki cocktail?

Exotica.

But, hey, it's an imperfect world. You should enjoy whatever music you like whilst imbibing, I would think.

But please don't bring that world, folk, or rock 'n' roll over to my tiki bar! You'll upset the tiki gods that I court. ; -)

Jack


 
View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-10-28 10:29 am   Permalink

I can only speak for myself, I like pretty much ALL "cocktail" lounge music, and in my opinion, exotica is a subgenre of lounge. Basically, anything from the 50's, early 60's is great in my book.

Some things that fit great in a tiki bar (but are not exotica)would be George Shearing quintet, Cal Tjader, Jackie Gleason, Percy Faith, Sergio Mendes, and of course Antonio Carlos Jobim...

On this forum, the bias is "possibly" against hapa haole music, (which I consider to be the main music I would like to hear in a tiki bar). But there are many people who refuse to listen to it. I state that it is possibly not that well liked on this forum for several reasons, but mainly because few people talk about it beyond the collection of album cover art from classic hawaiian albums.

For Hapa haole, I would suggest the Hukilau hulas CD. It's a compilation of the Tavares brother's bands, is recorded in beatiful stereo, with expert musicians involved. Take a song like "keep your eyes on the hands" (from the same CD) and see if it does not fit in a tiki bar! it's a jazzy take on Hawaiian music!

There are several modern exotica influenced bands I adore, that are always a great fit for any tiki bar.
Tikiyaki Orchestra
Martini Kings
Stolen Idols
Waitiki
Don Tiki.

My theory, which guides all of my tastes, is that Tiki in general is just a facet of lounge culture. It only appears on this forum to be something that stands alone. From everything I have ever researched or read about, tiki bars were just one more cool place to hang out, and that people living in those days could be found at a tiki bar one night, a cuban club the next, or a cantonese chinese restaurant on another night.


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
triviacompanion
Member

Joined: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 2
From: Ether
Posted: 2009-12-03 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-03 10:10, lucas vigor wrote:
I have searched the net, but can't find any lounge music or bachelor pad talk forums. I love tiki central, the way it is set up, the focus, but I notice that I am not on the same musical wavelength as a large majority of the people here. For example, I post stuff about bossa nova, lounge, Frank, other stuff with very little if any feedback or responses...it's ok, but I don't like wasting my time anymore posting stuff that few people can get into...so, can anyone direct me to a forum that focuses more on lounge music or bachelor pad stuff? I really want to dialogue with other people around the county (and the world) who are into easy listening music from the 50's and 60's, but don't want to keep pushing genres here that noone really cares about



It's funny! I signed up with tiki central specifically because it seemed like a good place for that kind of music. (And because.. if I can find the thread that google found when I was searching for Jason Croft's podcast.. maybe I can ask him a question..)

There are a lot of forums out there covering that type of music, so many in fact that I've decided NOT to have "yet another one" one on my website.

Facebook has a "space age pop" group, there are an awful lot of blogs about it, etc..

So, it's not so much a matter of there not being anything, it's more a matter of needing some kind of aggregation, individually, all these forums seem kind of dead.

As for me, I'm always looking for music of the same style, but from newer, less known bands.




 
View Profile of triviacompanion Send a personal message to triviacompanion  Goto the website of triviacompanion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-12-03 11:54 am   Permalink

I have found out recently that there actually are a lot of Tiki centralites that are into lounge as much as I am, they just don't post too much about it. There are a few, however, who have no interest in the actual music, but instead are only into the hype or image surrounding the genre. Sad for them, because if they really listened to what's out there, they would find a lot of good stuff! Bossa Nova, hapa haole and other styles offer some breathtakingly beautiful music!

 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
triviacompanion
Member

Joined: Dec 03, 2009
Posts: 2
From: Ether
Posted: 2009-12-03 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 11:54, lucas vigor wrote:
I have found out recently that there actually are a lot of Tiki centralites that are into lounge as much as I am, they just don't post too much about it. There are a few, however, who have no interest in the actual music, but instead are only into the hype or image surrounding the genre. Sad for them, because if they really listened to what's out there, they would find a lot of good stuff! Bossa Nova, hapa haole and other styles offer some breathtakingly beautiful music!



Thats actually really funny!

I find tiki, "hip", lounge, etc.. culture to be some-what snobbish, I'm much more into the music than the other stuff. (although, I do like the colorful "retro flintstone" style)

I do think you're quite right about people who are into the music not saying anything about it, I don't get a lot of people listening to my little stream, but, those that do listen almost never call the number, make requests, etc.. it seems to be something they just play as a soundtrack. (I'm cool with that.. but I do wish I knew more about what they liked/didn't like)

There's a station here, AM1220 that plays some of that kind of music and the sweepers always say "/our/ kind of music" in a rather elitist sort of way, I think this turns people away.

Also, kids don't want to admit they like stuff that isn't popular rock music, so they don't ever tell anyone

Ssshhh don't admit you like Walter Wanderley!








 
View Profile of triviacompanion Send a personal message to triviacompanion  Goto the website of triviacompanion     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Posts: 1549
From: Riverside, California
Posted: 2009-12-03 2:39 pm   Permalink

I admit I like to occasionally listen to new-age relaxation CDs too:
'Ocean Waves' - 'Tropical Rain forest' - 'Desert Sunrise' -

- no music only pure sound effects. Music constantly plays in my head anyway

Anybody have the same interest? Maybe a thread about this topic is warranted?


_________________
TikiG

tiki since '67!


 
View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 18, 2004
Posts: 2710
From: The Exotic Port of REDONDO BEACH, CA
Posted: 2009-12-03 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 14:39, TikiG wrote:
I admit I like to occasionally listen to new-age relaxation CDs too:
'Ocean Waves' - 'Tropical Rain forest' - 'Desert Sunrise' -

- no music only pure sound effects. Music constantly plays in my head anyway

Anybody have the same interest? Maybe a thread about this topic is warranted?






I like that stuff too...a few reason for that...

1. Tinitus...I have it....If a place is TOO quiet, it's nice to have some ocean sounds to drown out the ringing.

2. Who DOESN'T love the sound of the ocean....that's why I put 4 minutes of it at the end of "StereoExotique"....for people like you TikiG, who like that kind of stuff.

3. I recently starting doing Yoga. I'm considering doing a Yoga style music CD...I think it would be cool to bring some exotica sounds into Yoga and meditation music.


_________________
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com


 
View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 8965
From: Anaheim,Ca.
Posted: 2009-12-03 8:40 pm   Permalink

Lucas,
don't you know that "tiki music" is just something that you put on while you discuss your latest tiki finds, while sipping tiki drinks?
ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)





 
View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 14, 2003
Posts: 539
From: the Les Baxter Grotto (Minneapolis)
Posted: 2009-12-04 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 09:42, triviacompanion wrote:

Facebook has a "space age pop" group, there are an awful lot of blogs about it, etc..





A handful of folks, including yours truly, have been signing up. Just do a search on FB for the Space Age Pop group. I also posted a bunch of LP covers to go with the covers already up... Thanks for the tip!

glen leslie
http://www.kfai.org/jetsetplanet

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2009-12-04 20:22 ]


 View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-12-04 8:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 14:26, triviacompanion wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-12-03 11:54, lucas vigor wrote:
I have found out recently that there actually are a lot of Tiki centralites that are into lounge as much as I am, they just don't post too much about it. There are a few, however, who have no interest in the actual music, but instead are only into the hype or image surrounding the genre. Sad for them, because if they really listened to what's out there, they would find a lot of good stuff! Bossa Nova, hapa haole and other styles offer some breathtakingly beautiful music!



Thats actually really funny!

I find tiki, "hip", lounge, etc.. culture to be some-what snobbish, I'm much more into the music than the other stuff. (although, I do like the colorful "retro flintstone" style)

I do think you're quite right about people who are into the music not saying anything about it, I don't get a lot of people listening to my little stream, but, those that do listen almost never call the number, make requests, etc.. it seems to be something they just play as a soundtrack. (I'm cool with that.. but I do wish I knew more about what they liked/didn't like)

There's a station here, AM1220 that plays some of that kind of music and the sweepers always say "/our/ kind of music" in a rather elitist sort of way, I think this turns people away.

Also, kids don't want to admit they like stuff that isn't popular rock music, so they don't ever tell anyone

Ssshhh don't admit you like Walter Wanderley!











Yeah, or someone will refer you to the AARP website!!


Sometimes I think the neo-lounge movement has just gone it's course, and is dead and dying. I think the peak years were the 90's

I think if you really found out what people actually like, you might find it is anything BUT lounge, exotica, or any of the related genres. you would find they were into punk, rock and pop...and on this particular forum, there are actually a lot of people that truly love what I call "hippy" music, meaning, rock music of the 60's and early 70's..something I have never been able to understand since tiki/lounge and Hippy rock seem to be polar opposites.....

And in a similar vein, all it would really take for the scene to truly be "Buffetized" would be enough of the kool kid hipsters suddenly announcing that Jimmy Buffett was the greatest thing on earth! All of a sudden, Buffett would be cool! Just imagine if Buffett released an album with "tiki" art on the cover! Man, that thread would have 18 pages in 2 days...everyone going crazy and extolling the virtues of the buffett.

Not me. I don't need the hype, just good music. For me, it all starts with the music. The tiki scene would not be the same with out Martin Denny or Arthur Lyman! And for me, just adopting the trappings of that style of music just ain't good enough. It's just lip service.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-12-04 21:19 ]


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-12-04 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 14:39, TikiG wrote:
I admit I like to occasionally listen to new-age relaxation CDs too:
'Ocean Waves' - 'Tropical Rain forest' - 'Desert Sunrise' -

- no music only pure sound effects. Music constantly plays in my head anyway

Anybody have the same interest? Maybe a thread about this topic is warranted?






Yes, and in a major way! Speaking as a musician, I find non-musical sounds like this fascinating. Birds, wind, waves, and anything with water in it! Crickets are especially nice!


 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-12-04 9:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-03 20:40, bigtikidude wrote:
Lucas,
don't you know that "tiki music" is just something that you put on while you discuss your latest tiki finds, while sipping tiki drinks?
ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)







Boy, do I ever know it! Everything has to "fit", right? And if any of the approved elements are missing, people will complete ignore it, no matter how good it is! If it has the right "look", even substandard crap will have people fawning all over it!



 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 8965
From: Anaheim,Ca.
Posted: 2009-12-05 6:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-04 21:03, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-12-03 20:40, bigtikidude wrote:
Lucas,
don't you know that "tiki music" is just something that you put on while you discuss your latest tiki finds, while sipping tiki drinks?
ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)



Boy, do I ever know it! Everything has to "fit", right? And if any of the approved elements are missing, people will complete ignore it, no matter how good it is! If it has the right "look", even substandard crap will have people fawning all over it!





you seem to be talking about a certain cd that might be for sale now.
whatever could you mean?


Jeff(btd)



 
View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 12, 2004
Posts: 3985
From: SOCAL
Posted: 2009-12-05 7:10 pm   Permalink

Well, let's put it this way, Jeff....I like music that is original, and not a carbon copy of someone else's stuff.



 
View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
koopkooper
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Dec 28, 2007
Posts: 386
Posted: 2009-12-06 01:23 am   Permalink

I think there is a fair bit of interest in Lounge based on the number of views of my postings.

Personally I like both lounge and exotica which is why I play both on the show.


_________________
check out the Exotica and Lounge podcast www.cocktailnation.net


 
View Profile of koopkooper Send a personal message to koopkooper  Email koopkooper Goto the website of koopkooper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation