FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Seas, San Diego, CA (restaurant)
South Seas, San Diego, CA (restaurant)
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-03 1:45 pm   Permalink

Name:South Seas
Type:restaurant
Street:3877 Pacific Highway
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Here's some strange stuff I found. The place is South Seas - A Unique Tahitian Setting. I found this menu cover and two weird cut-outs of the same image that is on the menu. Luckily one of them has text on the back. It tells more about the artist than it does the restaurant. It sounds like the decor was polynesian, but thats about it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shaker 2009-07-03 13:47 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 2:41 pm   Permalink

Here's the matchbook. Looks like another cool pre-tiki bar that had the Rain On The Roof feature. And no children allowed, I would guess.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 3:03 pm   Permalink

My first thought is, considering the location, that the place was torn down during WWII. But then I noticed that sentence on the menu about January 1953. In that case, the building might actually still be there.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 08:49 am   Permalink

"What's On Your Mind" ?!!!!

Love that black velvet painting, man! Inspiring..

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-10 10:25 am   Permalink

Very interesting post! My grandparents moved to San Diego in 1940. And my grandmother has told me that in the 50's they went to a restaurant in San Diego where it would thunder and rain. She seemed to recall that you could put a coin into a machine somewhere and it would cause thunder and rain. Not sure if this is the place she was remembering or not. But I'm sure that in the 50's San Diego didn't have too many restaurants that rained.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-10 12:00 pm   Permalink

Sub-zero!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 5:42 pm   Permalink

Found this over the weekend. It is the back page ad for San Diego Nite Life dated August 10, 1940. The small pamphlet appears to distributed by the American Legion, San Diego.
I believe there is a much newer ashtray (seven digit phone number) from the South Seas at the Lava Flow Inn.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-29 7:23 pm   Permalink

Nice Pre-Tiki menu!

It is hard to believe, I really searched for more info on that menu painting at the beginning of this thread, and all I can come up with is the South Seas Restaurant connection:

http://iantiqueonline.ning.com/group/whadjafind/forum/topics/artists-copper-etching-plate?xg_source=activity

I swear I have seen postcards of this image, it seems so NOT related to Polynesian pop - yet to cocktail lounge art. I guess the first black and white drawing is the original, indeed looking somewhat like a Sigmund Freud portrait inspired by Freud's findings about sex and the sub-conscious.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-31 6:43 pm   Permalink

Just got this nice napkin from the South Seas - rain on the roof!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Miss Hell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-01-10 1:33 pm   Permalink

I wish this was still there, since I'm in San Diego. But as of recently, it was a Golf Mart and even that was closed down. Who knows what it is now.

View Profile of Miss Hell Send a personal message to Miss Hell  Goto the website of Miss Hell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation