FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What is the best bitters currently available?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What is the best bitters currently available?
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 8:46 pm   Permalink

I am new to bitters and would like to know what is the best kind to make Tiki drinks. I have access to some very good liquor stores near Palo Alto but would like to avoid mail order.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 9:08 pm   Permalink

I like this topic. Fee Brothers have a large variety of flavors and from what I'm tasted they all seem good.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 10:49 pm   Permalink

Fees old-fashioned bitters are great for tropical drinks (not so much for whiskey cocktails), but Angostura is the tiki standard. As for orange bitters, Regan's makes a great one. I haven't tried the Bitter Truth brand but I heard many raves about them.

I only found Fees in a few gourmet shops and since you live in Palo Alto, I'd recommend the Cask store in downtown SF.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-08 20:46, SuperEight wrote:
I am new to bitters and would like to know what is the best kind to make Tiki drinks.

That depends entirely on the cocktail you are making.

Most of the 'tiki' drinks that call for bitters use Angostura. Actually, most drinks that call for bitters use Angostura because they have been around the longest.

Most recipes that use something other than 'Regular' bitters will specify Orange Bitters, or Lemon Bitters, or whatever Bitters.

As an ingredient, most bitters generally don't do much on the tongue except be bitter. There are stronger and weaker notes in each of them and I have a lot of fun changing up the bitters used in a cocktail to see what happens. Where they all really make a difference is in the aroma of the finished cocktail. Some bitters are more aromatic than others, like Reagan's Orange, and can really take a cocktail to that next level as far as final presentation.

So, to answer your question directly, get the small bottles of what ever Beltramo's (sp?) has to offer.

And, if you don't want to do the mail-order thing, Beltramo's is pretty good at getting stuff if you ask.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 11:23 am   Permalink

A wonderful cocktail that I have had the pleasure of having at Drink, in Boston, several times, is something called the DLB, or Don's Little Bitters, which is a cocktail which consists of nearly all bitters, with a rum base and a little bit of lemon juice. Bitters can be more fun than just that little dash!

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 1:07 pm   Permalink

While I haven't tried this drink at the bar, I have tried Suzanne's version of it, for which I can indeed vouch. Yes indeedy! Quite a marvelous tour of taste!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 2:05 pm   Permalink

Do bitters get old? I have had some for a while.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 3:09 pm   Permalink

One of my regular haunts stock a huge range of bitters and also make their own.They recently got in the Bitter Truth range,which i've tried a few of,and must say they are very good.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-09 3:55 pm   Permalink

I have no problem finding angostura, and Peychauds at routine stores, but for other varieties and flavors, I have ordered over the internet.

The below link, has a variety, including Regans orange, Angostura orange, and several Fees flavors.

They even have a variety pack of Fees.

https://www.kegworks.com/search/search.php?keywords=bitters

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-10 1:51 pm   Permalink

As others have said, I think that you'll find Angostura to be the most versatile overall, followed by orange bitters. I love Gary Regan's Orange Bitters, although I find them to work better in old school whiskey & gin cocktails. Personally I find the new(ish) Angostura Orange Bitters to work better in Tiki cocktails. The AOB seem to be more aromatic and spicy than Gary's Orange Bitters. Fee Brother's Grapefruit Bitters work well in Tiki cocktails as well, which figures since grapefruit juice is such a common ingredient in so many Tiki cocktails. As an aside, I find that bitters add more than just bitterness on the palette, they add an important aromatic note to cocktails. Try making a Manhattan with and without bitters and you will see the difference.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 12:38 pm   Permalink

Okay, about that Manhattan. How much bitters would you add? 1 drop or several. Also, what proportion of vermouth do you recommend?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 2:17 pm   Permalink

For Manhattans, I usually go for two dashes of Angostura and a dash of orange bitters. Vermouth is no more than half an ounce.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 9:18 pm   Permalink

Stirrrings makes a Blood Orange bitter that I like.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-12 14:17, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
For Manhattans, I usually go for two dashes of Angostura and a dash of orange bitters. Vermouth is no more than half an ounce.

I do nearly the same-2 dashes of Angostura, one of Orange (preferable Regan's), but I mix 3/1 Rye to Vermouth. Love the Rittenhouse 100 proof, and Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye. My favourite Sweet Vermouth is Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 12:08 pm   Permalink

Indeed, there's a happy balence in that bitter combination. For ryes, I stick to 6-year Sazerac. I'm tempted to either get Vya or the Antica Formica vermouth.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation