FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Aloha Restaurant, Rochester, NY (restaurant)
Aloha Restaurant, Rochester, NY (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 4:58 pm   Permalink

Name:Aloha Restaurant
Type:restaurant
Street:2775 Monroe Ave.
City:Rochester
State:NY
Zip:
Phone:GI 2-9240

Description:
Here's a great card I just picked up today. The Aloha Restaurant. I couldn't find much info on this one. James writes in TRT that the restaurant opened in the early 60's and was gone by the early 80's. This place had it all murals, Tikis, water features and great architecture. The site now house an up-scale Chinese restaurant. I'll get the pics on in a few minutes. Thanks.

the description on the back of the card.

Some closeups.

A plate from Critiki with a great rendering of the restaurant.

Menu from Mimi's collection.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-07-11 17:07 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 5:22 pm   Permalink

I think the card dates to the early 60's due to the phone number. Also the Aloha Motel is just down the street but it is nothing special. It may have been nice at one time but I could find no information on it.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 5:47 pm   Permalink

Trav,

EXCELLENT find, that is one cool card, never seen it.

Nice to get some more info from James and Mimi on this place as well.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-07-11 17:47 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 5:59 pm   Permalink

Excellent thread, Trav.

Here's a compote and sugar bowl from toomuchjoe's collection on Ooga-Mooga.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 6:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dusty and Kate. Wow some great serve-ware from this place. I have to think they would have had some mugs also, maybe even matchbooks and swizzles.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 7:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-09-05 11:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-09-05 11:21 ]

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 3:25 pm   Permalink

This is what became of the Aloha. Looks great doesn't it! Seems to be almost no info out in cyberspace on this one.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-07-13 17:46 ]

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 04:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-11 17:59, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Excellent thread, Trav.

Here's a compote and sugar bowl from toomuchjoe's collection on Ooga-Mooga.

Anyone know who made these items. I'm thinking Jackson made the sugar bowl but not sure on the other.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-11-21 04:23 ]

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 08:39 am   Permalink

This place looks really cool, I like the entrance, tikis in front and water features especially. It's not Tiki any more but it still has the water fountain and pond so that's good.

Sakura Home Japanese Style Cuisine
2775 Monroe Avenue, Rochester, NY
585) 288-8130

Here are a few pics of the place as it is right now.

Note: interior bridge over water pond

water fountain

front doors

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nokala Rocky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-28 6:37 pm   Permalink

Wow, How many times have I passed this place and never went in! Of course I mean the Chinese Restaruant. I wish I could have gone to the "Aloha" But I wasn't Tiki cognizant back then, missed out on the Kahiki for the same reason! I'll take mom this week!

View Profile of Nokala Rocky Send a personal message to Nokala Rocky  Email Nokala Rocky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dieselrich

Posted: 2010-03-17 4:04 pm   Permalink

wow... what memories. I grew up in Rochester and we went to this place alot when I was kid. My uncle knew the owner so we were regulars there. The place was always dark, and there was a small bridge over the fountain. In the middle of the pool was an artificial island with palm trees and penguins! I always loved the food there and begged my parents to order the Fruit Punch as it this drink came in a fresh pineapple... what a fantastic place and you don't see places like that anymore.

View Profile of dieselrich Send a personal message to dieselrich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-17 4:33 pm   Permalink

Hi dieselrich,

Thanks for chiming in with your memories of the place.

You mean the pool & island below had real, honest-to-God, LIVE penguins?

That would have been something to see. I've heard of restaurant or two that did that back in the day, but what an incongruous set of pets for a Tiki Restaurant.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dieselrich

Posted: 2010-03-17 5:29 pm   Permalink

ha.. no live penguins.. they were made out of plaster but it was fantastic restuarant as a kid. The photos above don't represent the place because as i said before the place was very dark with a low red light shining around. No windows - old fashion coin cigarrette machines in the lobby.. what memories.. too bad its closed. The exotic food especially the spicy hot chicken and i also remember the plates were steamy hot.

View Profile of dieselrich Send a personal message to dieselrich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 7:43 pm   Permalink

This guy came from Rochester, probably from The Aloha. The dealer I got him from had 2 others just like him. Any chance of some interior shots existing?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-15 05:30 am   Permalink

Love that find Rick. I'll see if I can get a better scan of the bar area of the card to get a good look at the large tikis.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation