FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaii Kai, New York, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Hawaii Kai, New York, NY (restaurant)
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 10:44 am   Permalink

Name:Hawaii Kai
Type:restaurant
Street:1638 Broadway (at 50th St.)
City:New York
State:NY
Zip:10019
Phone:212-PLaza7-0900

Description:
Hawaii Kai was one of several, now defunct, Polynesian restaurants in Manhattan. It occupied the space at 1638 Broadway adjacent to the Winter Garden theater near Times Square.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2009-07-13 10:53 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 10:50 am   Permalink

I know the Hawaii Kai has been discussed at length here at TC but there was never an official 'Locating' thread, and this place certainly deserves one. Plus I watched the 'King of Comedy' last night for the first time in a long while and noticed that there are some very quick (I mean really quick) glimpses of the HK exterior in some of the scenes with DeNiro and Sandra Bernhard near the 'Jerry Langford' studio.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-13 3:16 pm   Permalink

We can't leave out the fantastic Hawaii Kai cookbook.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 11:40 am   Permalink

I have this menu. Always wanted to get that postcard.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-14 12:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-14 11:40, Dustycajun wrote:
I have this menu. Always wanted to get that postcard.

DC

I love that menu and wish I could find one around here. In fact I don't think I've ever found any tiki menus anywhere. I have seen Hawaii Kai mugs though. There was a store here that had been around for ages called Love Saves The Day that always seemed to have them. I took it for granted and now the store is closed.

bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-16 09:15 am   Permalink

Here is some more images from the Hawaii Kai (part 1)
Large menu version one

Large menu version two

Dessert menu 1

dessert menu 2

Dessert menu 3

Dinner Specials 1

Dinner Specials 2

Table top 1

Table top 2

Table top 3

Business card

Swizzle

Napkin

Postcard

Matchbook and match box

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-16 10:40 am   Permalink

Here is part 2 newspaper articles and adds.

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-07-16 11:30 am   Permalink

Thanks Bifcozz, all the jaw dropping you've been causing lately is slowly shrinking my double chin.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-16 11:58 am   Permalink

Sweet History Overload!

It's going to take me a while to absorb all this. That postcard of yours highlights one of my favorite things about the Hawaii Kai - its use of decorative brick or cement block on the outside facade. The Kapu Kai in Cucamonga was another. It really transports you back into the 60s to see that.

Many thanks for the post, bifcozz.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 12:11 pm   Permalink

Hey bifcozz, thanks for posting all of that! That's the most extensive collection of Hawaii Kai items I have seen to date on any of the Tiki websites. Great stuff!! Is this something you just amassed on your own, or did you or someone you know work there? I have never seen that postcard before. Very cool!

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 12:21 pm   Permalink

mind blowing - too good!

mahaloz

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

Wow!!! This is awesome. Hawaii Kai is my favorite because it is the first mug I ever got. It's so strange to see all of my prized possesions advertised in the paper for "FREE"!!!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 4:22 pm   Permalink

Holy cow, bifcozz! Those ads are amazing. I've got to get over to Ooga-Mooga and start renaming stuff.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 6:36 pm   Permalink

I had a bit of a problem acquring Hawaii Kai "stuff" but now I know how much more there is to find!
heres some pics to add to the thread:

need more

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 02:50 am   Permalink

Oh Jeeez...you guys must must be collectors or something! Biffcoz, do you OWN all those ads !!? Or did you come upon the Hawaii Kai family's scrap book. That is so amazing...alone all those giveaways they had, I never knew.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation