FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Locating Tiki ╗ ╗ Hawaii Kai, New York, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Hawaii Kai, New York, NY (restaurant)
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 6:29 pm   Permalink

Having just found the s&p moai shakers in Modesto, CA of all places I really appreciate this thread gettinga bump.

Love all the imagery and great collections!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-11 5:44 pm   Permalink

the other link about hawaii kai -
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10717&forum=1&start=45&hilite=hawaii%20kai

heres a Hawaii Kai sign - Help me find it for my yard! - I bet its under the winter garden theatre in the basement rusting away -

Its Now an Applebees sign

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-17 11:51 pm   Permalink

Yet another Hawaii Kai ad:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 06:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-11 17:44, sneakyjack wrote:

heres a Hawaii Kai sign - Help me find it for my yard! - I bet its under the winter garden theatre in the basement rusting away -

Its Now an Applebees sign

Isn't that sad? I'll bet you it is stashed down there under the Winter Garden beneath old costumes for 'Cats' and 'Mamma Mia'.

I said this once, I'll say it a thousand times: I moved to NYC in 1986 and was in that area of Times Square often. Why the HELL did I not spot the Hawaii Kai? I could've easily walked in but I don't remember it being there. Shame, just a shame.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manny333

Posted: 2010-01-04 8:06 pm   Permalink

wow i been there to hawaii kai a few times. i was just doing what is called a talk section in yelp.com http://www.yelp.com/topic/miami-wheres-the-best-chinese-food
and mentioned hawaii kai in ny. as i can remember it feels like they closed in the early 80's but i could be wrong. i think that's the first place i tried the zombie drink. i got to read through this thread more though, they had a few stages if i can remember maybe a main and then a couple small one(s).there's a polynesian restuarant here in south florida ft.lauderdale on US1 but the last time i was there i did not eat. so i'm gonna soon. but last time i lookes through the menu i could not find hawaiin steak or is it called polynesian steak. it has pork medallions or steak cuts with the beef also. so good.

View Profile of manny333 Send a personal message to manny333  Goto the website of manny333     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manny333

Posted: 2010-01-04 8:07 pm   Permalink

oh and the girl dancers are so hot looking. LOL

View Profile of manny333 Send a personal message to manny333  Goto the website of manny333     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manny333

Posted: 2010-01-05 6:23 pm   Permalink

http://www.thehukilau.com/2009/
and june 10 - 13 2010

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 9:16 pm   Permalink

This is my modest collection of Hawaii Kai stuff:

This past week, I scored this table card from the Hawaii Kai. One of my favorite scores & worth the buck I paid for it.:

It advertises a bowl drink called the Sea Goddess & says "Take the Goddess home." With all of the stuff this place gave away, I find it hard to believe that no one here has one of these shell bowls. If you do, please post a pic of it. This is the closest thing I've got & I'm 99% sure it's not from the Hawaii Kai. I think it captures the spirit, though.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-23 02:45 am   Permalink

From the "Mexotica" thread:
Quote:

On 2009-03-19 00:02, Zeta wrote:
Not from Mexico but...

From Venezuela, like Mister Naufrago.
Here's a good question:
What's the connection between This record and the extinct Hawaii Kai in New York ?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 08:17 am   Permalink

Just found this on ebay

Looks like Hawaii Kai was once called 'Lanai' at some point. After I looked at this my first thought was that maybe they changed management toward the end, but that would have been in the late 80s and as far as I know telephone numbers were no longer being published with alphabetical prefixes the way it is on the front of the card. So this must have been on the 60s or 70s?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 12:43 pm   Permalink

Donhonyc,

I saw that card on ebay a while back and also wondered about the time-line. In looking a little more closely at the back of the card I was surprised to see that the Lanai was started by Monte Proser who also created the Beachcomber chain which I did a post on not too long ago.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36222&forum=2&hilite=monte proser

Even more surprising was the location of the Lanai - basically at the same location as the original New York Beachcomber at the Winter Garden Theater!

This mug from the Lanai just sold on ebay.

Interesting twist on the Hawaii Kai history.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-01 12:43, Dustycajun wrote:
Donhonyc,

I saw that card on ebay a while back and also wondered about the time-line. In looking a little more closely at the back of the card I was surprised to see that the Lanai was started by Monte Proser who also created the Beachcomber chain which I did a post on not too long ago.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36222&forum=2&hilite=monte proser

Even more surprising was the location of the Lanai - basically at the same location as the original New York Beachcomber at the Winter Garden Theater!

This mug from the Lanai just sold on ebay.

Interesting twist on the Hawaii Kai history.

DC

Thanks for the info! I looked at that other post. Interesting. Pardon me for being lazy as I didn't read all of it and maybe it was mentioned there but when was Hawaii Kai known as Lanai? Was it in the 50s or 60s?

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 11:11 pm   Permalink

Donho,

My Beachcomber post had no mention of the Lanai because this is the FIRST TIME that anybody has figured this out. Monte Proser opened the Lanai in 1961 at the same spot he had The Beachcomber in 1940! The Lanai then became the Hawaii Kai of Tiki fortune and fame (not to mention the movies).

I found these two little clips from a 1961 Palm Beach newspaper about the opening of the Lanai. This is way-cool history.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-01 23:11, Dustycajun wrote:
Donho,

My Beachcomber post had no mention of the Lanai because this is the FIRST TIME that anybody has figured this out. Monte Proser opened the Lanai in 1961 at the same spot he had The Beachcomber in 1940! The Lanai then became the Hawaii Kai of Tiki fortune and fame (not to mention the movies).

I found these two little clips from a 1961 Palm Beach newspaper about the opening of the Lanai. This is way-cool history.

DC

Wow. So basically that location next to the Winter Garden was the Beachcomber from 1940-1961, and then it was the Lanai for a while and then Hawaii Kai? Man! That's great history but again, I have to totally kick myself because I moved here in 1986. Hawaii Kai and Trader Vic's were both stil here in business. That means that the Hawaii Kai existed in one form or another for over 40 years! And I missed it!!! Damn!!!!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 3:16 pm   Permalink

Donho,

The old Beachcomber did not exist much past the 1940's, so the restaurant was something else before it became the Lanai in 1961.

The Lanai did not last long. I found this news clip from 1962.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation