FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Ren Clarks Home Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Ren Clarks Home Bar
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 09:02 am   Permalink

A-MAZ-ING!

What a score. I agree, this is the score of the year.
What would sweeten the deal is if there was a stash of Severed Heads in the Garage that wasn't known about.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 11:35 am   Permalink

What a story. What history! What a discovery...akin to such great archeological finds as the Mask of Agamemnon!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mask_of_Agamemnon

Ren had no kids, I assume...if the house was passed onto his sister. As sad as it is that the original environs got destroyed, it is amazing that it all was standing until now - and we all got to see it, and Bifcozz got to keep it !

I thought I had posted an old newspaper article I have about Ren Clark and Milan Guanko's work on the Polynesian Village here somewhere, but now I can't find it via Search. And I am far away from my archive, and will be for months, sorry.

Wonder who did the original drawing for the logo Tiki...and Biffcozz, when you have time, can you blow up that rendering of the Polynesian Village at the bottom of the invite? And who was that Asian woman in the mural, she looks so distinctly rendered.

I guess we will never know what exactly the inspiration for the severed head mug was. I am only assuming that the fact that Ren used a Guillotine in some of his magic acts led to a cross over concept.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hecktow
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-15 2:52 pm   Permalink

Great post! Lucky Racoons. Glad you are able to save it. Here is the man himself...

View Profile of hecktow Send a personal message to hecktow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-15 8:10 pm   Permalink

As both a magic photographer and writer for Tiki Magazine, I am thrilled that this bit of Tiki/Magic history will live on in the home of TC member. We look forward to seeing photos of it in your new home, and I'm sure many of us will take you up on your kind offer to drop by! Wow. Just WOW. You lucky, lucky people.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 12:13 am   Permalink

Found this photo in my laptop files, (but not the article with it, dang):

And then I had clipped this from e-bay:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-16 08:20 am   Permalink

Tipsy,
We did not get any mugs. The mugs that were pictured on the bar were new mugs you can get at k-mart
Sabu,
we got the concept drawing and the invitation and they were the only two paper items there.
Tiki-Kate,
we did not find any swizzles in the bar but here is a picture of one we collected several years ago.

Bigbro,
Here is the closeup you asked for and an add we found from the place.

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 09:20 am   Permalink

How long was this place open. Do any detailed photos exist?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 03:07 am   Permalink

DETAILED photos of any mid-century Tiki Temple are a bit of a tall order. But there is a nice interior shot from Ren Clark's Polynesian Village brochure in the Book of Tiki ...and also in Tiki Style, if I remember correctly.

OK folks, what this thread needs now is some pix of the logo Tiki mug and the salt and pepper shakers, I remember they had the same patterns on the Tiki's head.

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-17 04:59 am   Permalink

Here's a couple of shots of the mug from other threads on TC:

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 05:14 am   Permalink

..i have a swizzle from the hawaiian room in the emerson hotel that uses this same tiki.....i'll post a pic later tonight.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 05:59 am   Permalink

Interesting evolution, made possible to trace by the now added pieces of the puzzle:

I had always wondered where the ceramics took all that x-tra body ornament from, since the logo Tiki on the plates and print items did not have it. I now believe the mug designer made it up (...and made the head a little to small for a Tiki).

The swizzle was based on the rendering again, you can tell by the eyes.

I earlier wondered who did the original rendering, because its execution is too professional to be done by Milan Guanko.
It must have been a graphic designer. Yet the basic Tiki design is one of Milan's many styles, I have seen that Tiki face before in his work. I cannot find a better example right now than this Kapu Kai interior. If we zoom into it, we can sse the support post behind the cash register:

But the un-Polynesian ornamental touches are unlike any of Milan's work, who kept his carvings simple. So did the designer take his inspiration from another similar Guanko design, and added to it....OR did Milan see this Tiki first in the designer's rendering, and then added its features to his repertoire, carving the Kapu Kai post AFTER the Ren Clark logo Tiki? Aaah, Tiki archology is full of profound mysteries...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-07-17 06:05 ]

Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 10:23 am   Permalink

Amazing find Bifcozz!!

Here's a set of salt and pepper shakers using the same tiki design. These are from the Islands, Phoenix.

Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-17 03:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
DETAILED photos of any mid-century Tiki Temple are a bit of a tall order. But there is a nice interior shot from Ren Clark's Polynesian Village brochure in the Book of Tiki ...and also in Tiki Style, if I remember correctly.

Oh, yeah! Page 44, to be exact. I didn't realize that was Ren Clark's. Good thing I've got 2 BOTs, so one is always close at hand!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 3:07 pm   Permalink

Here is a nice cloth napkin from the Polynesian Village.

I've got a postcard around somewhere I will have to post.

This is such a cool discovery!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 3:37 pm   Permalink

...and here's that swizzle that uses Ren's logo Tiki but is from another place (or?):

found this photo in my I-photo files and cannot double-check. It's definitely one of the rarer and cooler Tiki swizzles, in my opinion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation