FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Ren Clarks Home Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Ren Clarks Home Bar
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 4:11 pm   Permalink

Hey GK, Looking forward to your info.!!
I believe I saved these from an old Ebay auction that I saw. Maybe someone has the originals on here but these are from a few years ago and I thought they were very rare so saved them.
They sure are some of the better shots of any Tiki Bar out there! Behind the bar showing the rares are very hard to find and these are great with all the mugs right there!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 01:53 am   Permalink

Boning up for the next swap, came across this (from Arkiva Tropika):

Another swizzle, from the collection of Tiki Kate, found on critiki:

This tiki sure got around!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-29 10:06 am   Permalink

Maybe someone employed at Ren Clark's migrated to the Emerson Hotel's Hawaiian Room after Ren Clark's closed in '64, and brought the image of the Tiki with him. (There was a great urban archeology thread here on the Hawaiian Room, which went far but then sorta petered out.)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-29 9:03 pm   Permalink

The guesstimate is good - I have just confirmed Ren Clark's Polynesian Village opened to the public on Friday, June 24th, 1960, at 5:30 p.m. (they closed at midnight). The premier VIP opening was Saturday, June 18th, with additional parties in the following days.

The Western Hills Hotel opened July 11, 1951 and, due to an electrical fire, burned in 1969.

There you have it, one result of my pet research project...

An extensive post with much more additional information will follow in the coming days.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-29 9:11 pm   Permalink

And a bit of proof in the pudding (though the year is cut off in this close-up, I thought all would appreciate the fine bit of cinematic wonderment adjacent to the Polynesian ad...).

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 12:29 am   Permalink

That combo is indeed a great pop time capsule. But still no date..ha ha, what a tease!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 07:45 am   Permalink

The movie Five Branded Women came out in 1960.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-30 09:28 am   Permalink

I'm such a tease. The date on the ad is June 22, 1960.

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 2:19 pm   Permalink

Tiki and "B" movies: does it GET any better???
Thanks, GK!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-25 2:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha all,

I continue to assemble the bigger story of the Polynesian Village, but I am now trying to track down all the known photographs of it - not that there are that many - the dining room shot the bar from BOT, a couple of Ren Clark shots with tikis including one I posted on another thread and one which Big Bro presented, and a poor quality news shot of a group at a table which I found. I am hoping to receive a couple of candid dining shots soon too.

Has anyone EVER seen an exterior shot? A postcard? A brochure? The Branding Room, which was the older "themed" dining room at the Western Hills, did have a few postcards for it which were issued in the 1950s, but there seem to be far fewer things from the 1960s when the property was changing hands.

Thanks,
GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

GK,

I just so happen to have a postcard showing the pool area and the entrance to the Polynesian Village at the Western Hills Hotel.

Can't quite see the buildings to the right of the A-Frame that are shown on the rendering that Bifcozz posted.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-09 5:47 pm   Permalink

Wow - I have not seen that one! Thanks for posting it. The view is actually into the Western Hills Hotel (you can see the second floor rooms), where they remodeled that entry with an A-Frame. You can see in the line drawing that entry on the left - the Polynesian Village's main entry is actually to the right, where the "domed" structure is visible (that being a large, open "lodge-like" space for one of the PV dining rooms). The entire pool area was remodeled/redecorated when the PV opened, including thatched umbrellas (curiously, not visible in this postcard - perhaps they had yet to be added), tiki torches (check), tikis (?), and related decor (entryways, etc.).

One apparently had to go through the lobby area to gain access to the PV, crossing the pool area or going through an adjacent corridor.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-15 11:04 am   Permalink

Any updates? Wondering whatever happened to this amazing find...

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-21 5:49 pm   Permalink

Yes, yes!!! Update us please.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation