FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How to carve a Pahu drum - lessons on YouTube
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
How to carve a Pahu drum - lessons on YouTube
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-02 12:50 pm   Permalink

I did another smaller one last week. It's 12" tall and 7" in diameter. I'll put my post from my carving thread here so that in the future people can find as much info as possible on these in one spot.

Quote:

On 2009-08-02 12:35, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I came indoors a couple days ago to do most of the work on the little pahu

After I did all 32 cut outs, i started to hollow it out. I started on the top:

Then after I get to a depth of at least half way in the log, I turn it over and make another hole to try and meet it. For this I use the 1" 90 degree parting tool.

It gets softer the closer to the center and the deeper you go. Now I'm a little more than 1" deep with only 4 small cuts.

A second pass bisecting the first cuts I made and I'm 2.5 -3" in already in just a couple minutes.
A few more cuts like that with the same tool and I'm in 4-5" wiith just a couple more to go

Then I smooth out the sides with a suitable gouge and try to make room for another star pattern cut in the deepest center

About two inches more and I break through to the other hole.

Now it gets real easy to finish the hollowing

I made the cut outs deeper than needed so when I hollowed it they would open up

The source I used for this one left the bottom portion like this, but I'm going to fancy it up a bit like the bigger one

I did the rim next:

And here it is next to the bigger one

I was looking at some of these for sale lately on line and holy s#!^ they're a lot of money!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 1:24 pm   Permalink

Great clips, fun and interesting, what the hell they guy say at the end of each chapter? I still can't get it. ..... shut up or something like that...
I'm amazed how fast buzzy can work, very nice drums!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 11:53 am   Permalink

My litle Pahu drum is all sanded and finished up:

I left the tool marks on the pedestal part and smoothed the bell part as much as I could:

Now it's time for the head. I wanted a reinforced edge because I'm using a thin piece of goat. I had to figure a way to attach the head without ripping it under the tension. I did some figuring on paper and then made a template:

This is the piece after punching in the holes:

Hole pattern:

Here's a test I did to make sure the holes were aligned correctly

After this, I put it on the drum and decided that I needed to double up on the lashing attachment points.

I cut another piece of goat and redid the layout with more holes:

After cutting a bunch of holes, I was ready to start the weave:

Half way through.

The length of the string you need to use just over twice the circumference of the head

Topside when done:

Bottom when done:

Next I measured and cut the 8 pieces that I will use to attach the head to the drum:

The head's been soaking for a couple hours and is just about ready to be stuck on.

Buzzy out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-19 2:13 pm   Permalink

Looks beautiful, but how's it gonna sound? Can you make an MP3 recording and embed it here?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 2:44 pm   Permalink

It's all done!:

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 14:13, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks beautiful, but how's it gonna sound?

It's still wet right now. I will not know for a few hours. It already sounds decent, but it will become much better sounding as it tightens.
I can record it. But, all I need is a microphone, a sound recorder, and some means to convert and download the file to post it here.

Buzzy Out!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 05:31 am   Permalink

Awesome Stuff Buzzy, your drums are ALL really beautiful.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 14:44, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I can record it. But, all I need is a microphone, a sound recorder, and some means to convert and download the file to post it here.

Buzzy Out!

Great job on the lashing. Looks too complicated for my mind. If you have a mic for your notebook or pc, you can download Audacity from audacity.sourceforge.net. It will record from your mic and let you save as mp3. All for free!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-20 12:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-20 09:17, TheBigT wrote:

Great job on the lashing. Looks too complicated for my mind.

It's going to take a big leap up in complications right here...

The head just wasn't tight enough after it shrunk up. I think the leather cords might have stretched a bit too. To fix this, I could either redo it with a different type of cord, leave it, or turn it into a tunable drum.
I chose to take the tunable drum path, just to see if my plans and calculations would actually work.

To increase the tension on the head, I needed to stretch the cords more. I took the right cord of one attach point and pulled it to the left cord of the attach point next to it. I went all the way around the drum like this

To increase the tension more, I did another wrap to make the new triangles half the size they were:

Here is what you end up with: A very complicated looking lash job with a very tight head

The best part is that you can now tune it. You just slide the bands in the direction of the arrows and as the triangle gets smaller, the tension increases, tightening the head:

It worked great. I still want to change the cord type. Something that has no give at all is necessary.

Buzzy Out!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 07:32 am   Permalink

Whoa, that's a trip. Looks really cool I must say.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-21 6:37 pm   Permalink

DAm Buzzy, you make it look all to easy... That drum is beautiful,nice work!
I really need to get of my okole and find some coco logs...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation