FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Little Hut, Vero Beach, FL (restaurant)
The Little Hut, Vero Beach, FL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 4:39 pm   Permalink

Name:The Little Hut
Type:restaurant
Street:10 Royal Palm Blvd.
City:Vero Beach
State:FL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Picked up this postcard from The Little Hut Restaurant located in Vero Beach, FL.

Here is the info from the back of the card. Standard 60's fare with the Bambu Room and the Little Hula Hut Gift shop.

Looks like the same architect (Franklin Hughes) did this one and the Luau in Miami Beach with that distinctive stone wall monument sign.

Here are a couple of close ups. Check out the space-age looking Tikis.

They also look like the same work as the ones done for the Luau by the artist Lewis Van Dercar as shown here.

This is a link to Bigbro's discussion on the subject.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7197&forum=1&start=0

Florida sure had the Tiki going on. Be interesting to find out about the connection of these two places.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 08:19 am   Permalink

nice post, DC ! I love the lettering used on both the Luau & Hut exteriors... Here's a lunch menu, with mention of Bobbie Burks as decorator:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 1:45 pm   Permalink

the hut is currently still there but it's now calvetti hair and body salon or something...the rock wall, the hut entrance and building are still there but run down...i checked out the address by googling it and looked at the streetside view.....you have to move the cursor west of where google dumps you off and you will see it as it looks today....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-07-18 13:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-07-18 13:51 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 2:52 pm   Permalink

Not the same angle but with Tipsy's help there is The Little Hut in 2009.

I like the back of the menu illustration a lot, it seems to say "You want a Polynesian Restaurant? Get yourself a Tiki, a bridge, some thatch and a rock wall and you're good to go."

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-07-18 15:36 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 2:54 pm   Permalink

Puamana,

Awesome find on that menu. The graphic looks just like the alien Tiki out front.

Tipsy,

Here are a few more images of Cavelleti's Hair Salon in comparison to The Little Hut.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-07-18 14:56 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 3:29 pm   Permalink

Wow guys, good work, that space alien Tiki is the too cool, looks very much like a Van DerCar, I agree. What a crazy place, Poly pop inspired people to such nutty things!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VeroTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-20 09:33 am   Permalink

That's cool--it became Bahama Joe's after this (before it became Calvetti's salon). I wonder how many other Tiki buildings were in Vero Beach. Thanks for the great pictures!

View Profile of VeroTiki Send a personal message to VeroTiki  Email VeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 12:17 pm   Permalink

Had business in Sebastian and figured since I was passing by Vero, I'd swing by the Little Hut.

Nice location on the river.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 12:26 pm   Permalink

Did you look behind the plants for that alien TIki back there?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 19 days ago; 1:00 pm   Permalink

No, too many people there. Maybe if I had printed out the postcard image and told them what I was looking for, they might have let me look. But I couldn't just start digging into their foliage, at least not with the risk of arrest.

There is a restaurant next door, I'm guessing that the front part was partitioned off into the hair stylist and the whole building was probably the restaurant.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation