FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Heather Watts Countdown to Tiki Oasis Velvet Preview: 30 Days, 30 Paintings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Heather Watts Countdown to Tiki Oasis Velvet Preview: 30 Days, 30 Paintings
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 8:35 pm   Permalink

I'm doing a thirty day countdown to Tiki Oasis (starting yesterday, July 16, 2009) with a preview of one new painting per day. After a lot of consideration I think the marketplace forum is the proper place to put this thread although it was a tough call. These pieces will be for sale at my booth at Tiki Oasis--they can't be reserved ahead of time unfortunately, since I want to be as fair as possible. I'm not listing prices yet since I won't be working out those details till I have everything done. Prices on the smallest pieces will likely start around $90 with the largest somewhere in the $800 range, and everything in between.

You can read the details about the countdown on this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26675&forum=18&start=90&98

You can also read the details and follow my progress as posted on my facebook fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Heather-Watts/80412485683?ref=share

On Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/heatherwattsarts/sets/72157621432327127/

And Myspace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=26614911&albumId=3178956

So, without further ado, here's Day 30 (from yesterday) and Day 29!
(I didn't actually paint these yesterday and today... they were already finished. I was busy working on "The Zombie Canoe"... stay tuned for that one!)

July 16, 2009 - 30 Days to Go:
"New Beginnings"
8" x 10" Acrylic on Velvet

"New Beginnings" Detail - Face

"New Beginnings" Detail - Wings

"New Beginnings" in Frame
Frame Hand-Carved by my friend Patrick Robinson.

"New Beginnings" Frame Detail
Frame Hand-Carved by my friend Patrick Robinson.

July 17, 2009 - 29 Days to Go:
"Talisman"
3" x 4.5" Acrylic on Velvet

"Talsiman"
Close up:

"Talisman"
Shown in frame next to a 5" tiki

"Talisman"
Shown with French Polynesian coin for scale

If you have any questions about my vending at Tiki Oasis please feel free to post them here. If you have questions about the painting process please post them on my thread in the "Other Crafts" section: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26675&forum=18&start=90&98.

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-18 17:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-20 20:34 ]

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-17 9:40 pm   Permalink

Apropos start with "New Beginnings" Heather! Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see the unveiling of the rest. See you & Mike soon~

Andy

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones

Posted: 2009-07-18 1:14 pm   Permalink

GO! Heather GO!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 5:08 pm   Permalink

Hee hee! Thanks Andy & Jonesey!

Here's my unveiling for today: another little guy. It was actually the first one I completed for tiki Oasis, way back as the start of June. He's not framed yet, but I'll post framed pics when he is--I'm just waiting for delivery of a final shipment of hand-carved frames from my friend Patrick Robinson. I was hard at work all day yesterday and today painting, and tomorrow will be the unveiling of a bigger piece: "The Zombie Canoe"--frame and all! The countdown continues...

July 18, 2009 - 28 Days to Go:
"Tangaroa's Birds"
5" x 7" Acrylic on Velvet

"Tangaroa's Birds" Close Up

"Tangaroa's Birds" Close Up

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-19 10:00 pm   Permalink

Finished "The Zombie Canoe"! Here's the initial scan--my camera battery is re-charging, but I will post pics of the frame & close-ups tomorrow.

27 Days to go!!!

"The Zombie Canoe"
9" x 18" Acrylic on Black Velvet
by Heather Watts, 2009

Close-up photo of the zombie in the front of the canoe.

Close-up photo of the vultures on the back of the canoe.

"The Zombie Canoe" with Frame
Frame hand-carved by Patrick Robinson

"The Zombie Canoe" Frame Detail
Frame hand-carved by Patrick Robinson

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-20 16:51 ]

Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 8:34 pm   Permalink

Starting a new piece tonight of a Sea God...
But until that's done, here's a little guy I did back in June to get you humming a tropical tune!

July 20, 2009 - 26 Days to Go:
"Strummin'"

Close-up of the strummer's face:

"Strummin'" in another of Patrick Robinson's fab frames:

Frame Close-up

[ This Message was edited by: travellin' tiki 2009-07-22 21:11 ]

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 9:13 pm   Permalink

HEATHERRRRRR!
these are too beautiful!
the soft gentle strummin guy with his bird friend
and those Zombies! lovelovelove those zombies
with the stitches! friggin stitches! geniusgirl!
great stylish vultures!
and those bubbles!
AAAAAAh!

have you ever checked out the work of Remedios Vargas?
she was a Spaniard Surrealist Chain Smoking painter!
There is a quiet mystery and sense of story
(although yours less cluttered-she gets it going Brueghel stylee sometimes)
But there's a mythology,a fable,a heroic tale in both of your works...
Also colors...just check her out when you get some time
you guys say the same things in different ways!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki deluxe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-21 05:11 am   Permalink

these are fantastic , I got a taste with a 5 pack of cards , now I want one of the big prints , what's the best way to get one for my tiki bar ?

View Profile of tiki deluxe Send a personal message to tiki deluxe  Email tiki deluxe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 12:24 pm   Permalink

Your sooo awesome Heather!! I can't wait to meet you.

Keep burnin' that midnight oil Sister - it's paying off big time!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 10:23 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Ken for the kind compliments as always!!! Your encouragement is always appreciated (especially now that I'm approaching the edge of insanity with all this painting!) I googled for that painter but couldn't find anything--but I'm totally intrigued by your description and would love to see the work if you know of any links. Oh, and you definitely haven't seen the last of my zombie characters. There are two more zombie themed paintings still to come!

Hey Tiki Deluxe! Glad you enjoyed the card set--I actually haven't done any velvet prints yet, so don't worry, you're not missing out. Because the velvet is such a unique medium it is really hard to create a scale reproduction that does justice to the original. However, I'm experimenting with photographing the original pieces at the moment with the idea of doing limited photo prints from some of them in the future. I feel like photographs can capture the life and texture of the original velvet piece the way a straight reproduction can't. I also think the velvet and tiki traditions lend themselves to photography, in that photographing paintings like these plays with the idea of them as Pop-Polynesian "pesudo-artifacts" which gives the reproduction a whole new dimension as an art piece in itself. But more on that later. Right now I gotta post today's pics!

Thanks for the encouragement Babalu! I can't wait to meet you too!!! Mahalo!

And now for today's post, a little guy I did a while ago, to shine some sun on everyone!

I just got my last shipment of frames in the mail (literally an hour ago) but my daylight is gone so I can't photograph this guy in his brand new frame till tomorrow. Will post soon!

H

July 21, 2009 - 25 Days to Go:
"Sun God"

Close-up of Sun God's face

Framed pics coming tomorrow!

Okay, edit: it's tomorrow! Here's the framed pics. This frame was just SOOOO perfect for this piece.

"The Sun God" in frame.
Frame hand-carved by Patrick Robinson.

Frame Detail:

[ This Message was edited by: Travellin' Tiki 2009-07-22 21:15 ]

Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 9:23 pm   Permalink

Okay... July 22... 24 days to go!
And for today's post, something a little different!

This is the only piece that I'll be bringing to Oasis which won't be for sale, EXCEPT in jewelry form--courtesy of Skinny Dog Design! They'll be offering up limited edition sterling silver jewelry pieces from a number of artists at this year's event, including yours truly, and this piece will be making its debut in pendant form!

Although the original painting won't be for sale, it will be on display at the Skinny Dog vendor booth, so if you're at Oasis, swing by and have a look!

No framed pics of this one yet, but here's the image & some close-ups:

"The Zombie King"
12" x 16" Acrylic on Black Velvet
by Heather Watts, 2009

"The Zombie King" Detail - Zombie's Face

"The Zombie King" Detail - Zombie's Mask

"The Zombie King" Detail - Bird

Okay! Back to painting... more posts to come tomorrow.

Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 09:01 am   Permalink

Oh yeah! I am so in love with this pc. The pendant is coming along awesome!

Heather you are so unbelievably talented. We are totally humbled to be making jewelry from your artwork.

Jen and Scott

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 7:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys! I find it funny that you are humbled, since I am humbled you're making jewelry from my art!!! Your stuff is stunning. I can't wait to wear "The Zombie King" around my neck.

July 23... 23 days to go! And now for today's post--the first piece I've posted here with rhinestone eyes and one of my smallest pieces ever:

"Lil' Idol"
4" x 4" Acrylic on Black Velvet with Rhinestones
by Heather Watts, 2009

"Lil' Idol" Close-up

"Lil' Idol" Detail - Rhinestone Eye

Okay, now back to painting for me!

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 10:19 pm   Permalink

I think this is my favorite thread right now! I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings Ok, ok, I'll leave your thread alone and let the art pour forth - yummy!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 8:27 pm   Permalink

Babalu! That's so nice to hear. Even after all these years, I always feel a little hesitant when I post, particularly on TC where I know so many talented and informed tikiphiles are bound to be browsing! Your comment put a big ol' smile on my face. Mahalo!

And now for today's pics! I hadn't painted a Marquesan-inspired piece for a while before the tiny guy I posted yesterday. I had so much fun with the rhinestones & design I decided to carry the theme through for today, with a little extra twist. Today's piece is a Marquesan-inspired Pirate & his treasure. Enjoy!

Only 22 days to go! After this is posted I'm off for a Friday night paint-a-thon! Wish me luck!

"The Pirate's Treasure"
5" x 7" Acrylic on Velvet with Rhinestone
by Heather Watts, 2009

"The Pirate's Treasure" in Frame.
Frame hand-carved by Patrick Robinson.

"The Pirate's Treasure" Detail - Face

"The Pirate's Treasure" Detail - Bird

"The Pirate's Treasure" Close-up

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation