[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1963 Hawaiian Vacation
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
1963 Hawaiian Vacation
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 08:59 am   Permalink

I recently acquired a 46 page scrapbook which chronicles a couple's two week, four island Hawaiian vacation in May 1963. The scrapbook is filled with so many delightful mementos of this trip that I thought I'd post the whole thing rather than just the tiki highlights.

The book is so old that unfortunately the contents have been extremely difficult to extract, but they must come out since the pages are starting to disintegrate.

A trip like this was such an event back in 1963 that the first two pages mainly consist of Bon Voyage cards. I wish there was some record of what the gifts were that went along with these cards and notes as one of them really piqued my interest.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

For those of you familiar with Oceanic Arts, I'm sure you've realized that this scrapbook belonged to Bob Van Oosting's parents. I asked Bob's permission before posting this, and he said that his mother would have loved to have seen this book shared with a group of people who could truly appreciate it.

Stay tuned for pages and pages of photos, brochures, itineraries and menus. I'll continue posting as I continue to work these items out of the book.

I intend to reassemble the book when I'm done in order to keep the collection complete while preserving its contents.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 10:02 am   Permalink

wow, what a wonderful set of mementos, back then when people family's took trips, it was something to savor and remember and document.

very nice kate!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Wow! This is fantastic! I love the art on those corny old bon voyage cards, really classic stuff. Can't wait to see more.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 09:50 am   Permalink

I stopped 1/2 way and said to myself...wait, I know that name.

Totally Cool!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 10:39 am   Permalink

This is great! Lookin' forward to seeing the whole book.

The greeting cards made for people heading off on trips are interesting scraps from a bygone era. Travel has become so common these days I think the idea of giving someone a "Have a nice trip!" card would seem odd. (I also really dig the graphics on these cards.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 6:40 pm   Permalink

That time capsule fell into the right hands!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 7:09 pm   Permalink

I got a few more pages worth of material scanned this evening. So many of these items are incredibly fragile. It's been quite the task to remove them. I love that Mrs. Van Oosting filled in the spaces on the pages with pictures from books and magazines.

While reading through the Sightseeing Program & Optional Tours list on Page 6, I was thinking about what an amazing trip this must have been. I'm not too sure about the after-dinner viewing of Skid Row though.

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jensme

Posted: 2009-07-20 9:34 pm   Permalink

this very neat. they are my grandparents and i never even saw these. thanks for putting them up, i cant wait to see more.
Jennifer Van Oosting Allen

View Profile of jensme Send a personal message to jensme      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-20 21:34, jensme wrote:
this very neat. they are my grandparents and i never even saw these. thanks for putting them up, i cant wait to see more.
Jennifer Van Oosting Allen

I'm so glad that you're enjoying this.

I was able to remove and scan another page this morning. The Van Oostings stayed at the Biltmore in Waikiki which was later imploded to make room for the Hyatt Regency.

Page 7

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 4:09 pm   Permalink

This brochure was a smidge too large for my printer, so I did the best that I could with scanning it.

Page 8

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-07-23 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That last image also appears on a United Airlines travel poster, but reversed:

I've also seen the same photo on a record cover, as well as this version, with the girl clipped-out:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-23 5:57 pm   Permalink

Thank you Tiki-Kate and Sabu and others for raising the signal to noise ratio here lately.

What I mean is, it's refreshing to see these threads quietly being populated with more imagery and fun info, amidst the noise and the usual trolling etc. on many other threads.

Noise can be fun too, but lately I get more pleasure out of a quiet village.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-24 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-23 17:57, aquarj wrote:
Noise can be fun too, but lately I get more pleasure out of a quiet village.

You and me both, Randy.

I finished a few more pages. The place mat from Marion's on Page 10 was way too big for my scanner, so I had to do it in two scans. I'm sure there's a way to get them to match up, but I just wasn't up to the task today.

Page 9

Page 10

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 01:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-22 09:08, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I was able to remove and scan another page this morning. The Van Oostings stayed at the Biltmore in Waikiki which was later imploded to make room for the Hyatt Regency.

Kate, thanks, this post conclusively answers my question I had a while back about the home of this menu:

Quote:

On 2009-05-20 16:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

A friend brought me a B&W xerox of an UNKNOWN Honululu restaurant interior and asked me if I would recognize it:

I did not, but I recognized the girl:

Not the girl on the left, but the Hula dancer on the menu cover on the right. I have seen that menu before, it is lime green/yellow/brown and it is from the ....Kailua Room? Leilani Lounge? Waikiki Room? I cannot recall, WHO knows?

Nice decor for just a coffee shop.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-25 08:29 am   Permalink

I had time to get one more page done this morning.

Page 11

The Sky-View Eleven was on the back of one of the other pictures. It was too cool not to include.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation