FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » My vote for best new exotica release. 2003
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My vote for best new exotica release. 2003
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-09 9:56 pm   Permalink

Now, I know that Les Baxter, Martin Denny et al rule, but, face it...these guys are not going to release anything new...so, forward thinking guy that I am...and, knowing that we have to evolve as tikiheads, constantly look around for current music that fits in the genre...I'd like you guys to check out Ry Cooder's new CD, MAMBO SINUENDO ... excellent CD that fits in with the genre in my opinion...also check out his CHICKEN SKIN cd...not exotica-like, but has some Hawaiian feel to it...Lemme know what you think...Grey

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

, Martin Denny et al rule, but, face it...these guys are not going to release anything new...

According to La Mariana, there are new Denny releases:

Get there early since Mr. Denny is rumored to delight the audience with “a few” songs from his upcoming CD releases “The Intimate Martin Denny” and “Dining With Martin Denny.” ...We will also be featuring some of Mr. Denny’s previously unreleased recordings from his upcoming release “Baked Alaska” which features recordings from a live radio broadcast in 1964.

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3305&forum=4&1

[ This Message was edited by: manic cat on 2003-04-10 09:09 ]

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 09:13 am   Permalink

martin denny also appears on at least one of petty booka's cds released in the past couple of years.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 09:23 am   Permalink

Alright, alright...I stand corrected...releases...I meant producing new material....Still, it's good to have other things like this Ry Cooder cd in the playlist....it drives the other exotica heads in my bunch crazy guessing who it is...Check it out! Grey

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 09:54 am   Permalink

I just picked up a new CD by a band called THE VANDURAS. Its pretty cool.
Very loungy with a twist of Hawaiiana. A very mysterious ambiance altogether. "David Lynch Meets the Blue Hawaiians"
From what I gather the band consists of a Pop, his lad and some guest drummers. Father Gary works the Lap and pedal steel guitars while his offspring Geof plays some guitar, percussions, pump organ and keyboards. It all comes together masterfully. Check it out at:

http://www.pascalrecords.com

Anther good band at that site is Jetpack.
More in the Surf guitar style but they throw in a lot of surprises, good stuff for sure.

Chongolio

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-04-10 09:56 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-04-10 11:37 am   Permalink

Jetpack's cd Planet Reverb is good surf .....Mystery Prom is kinda moody...but check out their Pipeline-like version of Simon & Garfunkle's "Sound Of Silence".....Groovy.....I think Surf music fits well with Exotica....makes me think of cocktails and the beach, and isn't that what it's all about?

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 11:49 am   Permalink

I totally agree that surf fits well with more traditional Exotica. And one thing you can say for Surf that you can't easily say for Exotica -- their makin' more of it (and you can get decent compilations too).

The Vanduras are way cool. Satan's Pilgrims, Blue Stingrays, and The Aqua Velvets are getting heavy rotation on my CD player at the moment. I'll have to check out Jetpack.

Aloha,

Vic

[ This Message was edited by: vegasvic on 2003-04-10 13:25 ]

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamzeno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-10 11:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-10 09:54, Chongolio wrote:
I just picked up a new CD by a band called THE VANDURAS. Its pretty cool.
Very loungy with a twist of Hawaiiana. A very mysterious ambiance altogether. "David Lynch Meets the Blue Hawaiians"

You got that right Chongolio. I've been lovin'
The Vanduras lately too. They can definitely set the mood.

View Profile of bamzeno Send a personal message to bamzeno  Email bamzeno Goto the website of bamzeno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RhumbaKitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-11 01:02 am   Permalink

Go to http://www.cabaretdiosa.com and click on "Souvenirs" (yes, it's spelled wrong)

Dario Rosa JUST released "Dario Rosa: Man of Leisure" -you can be the first to get it on your block!! He describes it as "Herb Alpert on acid, psychodelic muzak..."

View Profile of RhumbaKitty Send a personal message to RhumbaKitty  Email RhumbaKitty Goto the website of RhumbaKitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RhumbaKitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-11 01:08 am   Permalink

Oh, to explain a bit better, here's a description of the Cabaret Diosa experience from a current press release:

Cabaret Diosa. Roll the name around in your mouth and feel an exotic drink that goes straight to your head. What’s your pleasure? Carbonated rumbas and spicy Latinified psychedelia, with a splash of surf guitar? Come experience a bacchanal of epic proportions, surrender to the rhythms and let the dancing take you away, embarking on a journey through time and movement. ...A time is created that doesn't exist, a place where there is no hatred or fear, a place warm with the smell of tropical breezes and ripe with the fruit of desire, where martinis grow on trees, where everyone is beautiful, a place we call “the New Electric Eden.”

Doesn't that sound simply yummy? Another Mojito?

View Profile of RhumbaKitty Send a personal message to RhumbaKitty  Email RhumbaKitty Goto the website of RhumbaKitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-10 11:49, vegasvic wrote:
I totally agree that surf fits well with more traditional Exotica. And one thing you can say for Surf that you can't easily say for Exotica -- their makin' more of it (and you can get decent compilations too).

The Vanduras are way cool. Satan's Pilgrims, Blue Stingrays, and The Aqua Velvets are getting heavy rotation on my CD player at the moment. I'll have to check out Jetpack.

Aloha,

Vic

[ This Message was edited by: vegasvic on 2003-04-10 13:25 ]

5 years later ...and I JUST discovered The Vanduras ! Yikes ! Anyway , better late than never . Gonna buy the CD .

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 08:21 am   Permalink

Tikiyaki Orchestra has done and excellent job of combining Surf and Exotica styles together, you should check them out.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 08:50 am   Permalink

SushiMan is hip to the T.O.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sushiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-22 08:50, tikiyaki wrote:
SushiMan is hip to the T.O.

And I am hip tp The Vanduras thanks to you ! I read about them in your " Tikiyaki Orchestra Announcement " thread ! Mahalo !

View Profile of sushiman Send a personal message to sushiman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 09:07 am   Permalink

I was playing Tikiyaki and Vanduras at the Tiki Freakout art show the other night.

great stuff indeed.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation