FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving domins dungeon...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
domins dungeon...
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-21 6:25 pm   Permalink

hi i just caught the tiki bug and was inspired to try some carving

this is a mini tiki i tried out one rainy day

poontang...

...tiki...

...tatas

the wood is staghorn sumac which is one of the few woods that is supposed to glow under a black light but i havent been able to check that out yet. its just 2 3/4" tall

this is the big guy i started chisling on last week

a hackberry log that i salvaged, 14" diameter 33" tall. its been down and cut for a couple months on the ground but not too badly cracked, just a bit of center cracking mostly just on 1 end and the other end ive chissled any i could see away

here is my scetch im trying to reproduce. the tenticle type head dress is supposed to twist in the back with maybe a couple tiki faces sticking out of the twists.

can anyone tell me which tiki this most resembles? ive looked for some info but ive not seen much. it would be nice if someone posibly started a thread with pics and names of each of the major tiki gods and perhaps a descrption of what design elements make each what it is or any symbolism that represents each god. ive found some mythology but no pics

i had an idea on which i thought this one was but after looking and reading more im just not sure anymore.

but anyway thanks for looking

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2009-07-28 18:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2009-08-08 16:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2009-09-19 13:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2009-10-30 13:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2015-01-07 18:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2015-10-29 16:37 ]

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 6:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting your work, and welcome to TC. What type of tools are you using?

Your big guy has some Hawaiian influences, like the mouth and eyes, but doesn't follow any particular style. If you're asking what it most resembles, I'd have to say a Ku. The best way to learn about the various tikis is plenty of research here, the Search function works pretty darn good. You could also visit posts from other carvers and see their work, and you'll find some carvers are more traditional than others. If you're not looking to do traditional tikis, "contemporary tikis" are fine too. As far as I'm concerned it's all open to interpretation. Damn the critics and create what needs to get out of your head, as long as you're enjoying yourself.

The little one is cleaver.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

kool stuff,the big guy's look'n killer
ya off to a great start.Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 10:16 pm   Permalink

the big guys looking pretty good. looking forward to seeing the finished tiki.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 12:08 pm   Permalink

I agree with these guys and can add Excellent to the list. Looks like a Great log and you are definitely doing it Justice.
Nice Stuff!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-22 1:19 pm   Permalink

thanks for the compliments guys.

as for what tools I'm using so far its just my 2 sets of chisels. 1 set for use with the mallet and 1 set for hand carving. and i have used a surform and a pocket plane a bit on the bottom to try and level it out, he rocks just a bit so i need to take a bit off the high spots.

and it's good to know someone with more experience with tikis thinks its a Ku since that's what i was actually going for. i wasn't trying to make it a replica exactly, but more of a modernized take on a classic idea.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 2:00 pm   Permalink

very VERY nice indeed symetrical and deep plunges... you my friend will be a top carver and member

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-22 8:07 pm   Permalink

Nice! This guy is coming out strong.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-28 6:34 pm   Permalink

just thought I would give an update of what ive been working on this week.

first up I'll show what I've been doing with the big Ku

I've been been procrastinating all week about getting the back of the tenticle headdress started, so I had'nt done much of anything but stare at him and contimplate just how they should fit in there, and finally got him to this point today. so next up i can work my way around to the body and finish up the rough in work.

so when i was'nt working on him, or staring, i started on a couple new ones

anouther stagorn sumac piece, this one from half a huge sumac log, about 3 inches wide, thats pretty good sized for sumac. just been working on him a few minutes here and there.

next up is one i started on a rainy day when i didnt want to carve on the Ku

a random mulbery log i went out and picked up while it was getting rained on and soaking wet, it had been laying there for about a year, but hey its mulberry and pretty rot resistant. just had to hack a bit of the most of the sapwood off. havent decided just where im going with the eyes or around the back yet, so we'll see

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 9:48 pm   Permalink

WOW! Nice chiseling work on the big Ku! The other piece get good too. Can you post some pics of your tools?

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia  Email laojia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-07 1:48 pm   Permalink

just got these pics that my friend finally got around to sending, these were from last Monday, I should get more tomorrow since I've gotten a bit more done since then. just want to document this one since its my first big carving, anything else I've done i could hold in 1 hand.

well maybe i could hold it with 1 hand , if I just..get er up like so and..ugh..
well maybe not, someone get this thing off me.

and i a pic of the tools I've been using.

mallet is a black locust log with a narrowed handle, the wood handled chisels I've had forever and I've got 1 other of them but don't know were at the moment. a 1", 3/4", and a 1/2", mostly just use the 1" for mallet carving and going back and smoothing up with the black craftsman set which has a 3/4", 1/2" and 1/4". I've used the surform on the ends a bit and the small trimming plane a bit as well.

you'll have to bear with me tho I don't have a camera of my own or a computer so i post from the local library, when i can get pics.

domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-08 4:48 pm   Permalink

ok got more up to date pics today, so here goes

and one of the spalting at the ends

also thought id try out my best crazy al impression

blah needs work

Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 4:54 pm   Permalink

Domin,way kool stuff youre doin,More More More keep them chips a fly'n.
Cheers Watango,

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 11:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Your work turn very good! I'm impressed by what's you carve with some vintages chisels, since there are "no bad tools, just bad worker".

I like your mallet, he look very good!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia  Email laojia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 05:54 am   Permalink

Excellent stuff Domin, I find it hard to believe you are getting this excellent detail after only carving a few tiki's. The only advice I an addis to sharpen those chisels, being that dull and ragged-edged only makes carving that much more difficult. Again the search here will bring up Lots of info on sharpening. Keep up the good work and that's not a bad impression of the Crazy one, just a few bones tied to your beard and you will.......lol

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation