FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving domins dungeon...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
domins dungeon...
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 2:41 pm   Permalink

I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression. Even though I use an old home-made mallet, I also rely on every tool at my disposal including power tools especially a dremel tool. The only specialized carving tool I have is a carving knife but I desperately hope Santa will bring a set of chisels.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 2:50 pm   Permalink

Very nice! I like the originality and the combination of figures into one piece. Keep up the work and post often.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SDshirtman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-28 2:52 pm   Permalink

I really like your stuff. How long did he take?

View Profile of SDshirtman Send a personal message to SDshirtman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 10:45 pm   Permalink

Again nice work. way to hit it!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 01:10 am   Permalink

Amazing work on the big Ku! Also nice work on the spalted log...

Keep posting your good work!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia  Email laojia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 05:35 am   Permalink

Excellent bunch of tikis Domin! Count'em, 1 2 3 4and 5 or more?, all really good pieces....You are Sure making up for lost time here and I Really hope Santa brings you the tools you need to keep learning this stuff and Also some tool sharpening supplies.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 06:51 am   Permalink

Very kool Ku, Amate. Really like all of your twists and turns on the
Ku, and the others are nice too. You are doing GOOOOOOD work.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-30 09:31 am   Permalink

Hory clap!! Dude got some skillz! Awesome KU. Good stuff. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 10:26 am   Permalink

Fantastic! Great update. The Ku is awesome. What a nice statue that's going to be!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

thanks for the compliments guys

Tiki-Finn, thanks and put your hat back on before you head gets cold.

amate, nothing beats free tools you can make yourself, tho its about time fore a new mallet this one has been used so much the layers are starting to peel away one at a time.

Tikilizard, thanks i wanted to challenge myself on my first big piece so threw in several difficult elements to make anything i do later on seem a bit easy in comparison.

SDshirtman, well the Ku has been in progress since mid July a week before i started the thread, altho my work method has been more like setting aside 2 hours a day to carve and sitting and staring while smoking cigarettes for an hour and a half and maybe getting a half hour of carving in. tho i did takes some time off here and there for other projects as well, and done very little to him this month.

seeksurf, thanks i hit it some much my arm kept getting tired, i think i need another cigarette.

laojia, thanks that little spalted one still needs more work i thought i would knock him out pretty quick but the peak of the log was off center to his face so straight on he looks weird and it would take more time than i was willing to put into him at that point, too many other projects.

Benzart, thanks and i do have some whetstones and a old piece of leather around somewhere for stropping, just no grinding wheel to take the nicks out of my 1" chisel, but i did go buy a 1 1/2" one and it was sorta sharp out of the box but it wasn't quite sharp enough so i got it where i could pretty well shave with it, uh, that is if i wanted to shave.

Congatiki, all those twists and turns where part of the challenge.

GROG, thanks and anyone with the brains to invent the wheel is ok in my book, or was it fire?

TheBigT, thanks and i hope he finishes up nicely, i will be doing all or hopefully only most of the sanding by hand i would like to get him polished down well to show off the spalting on him but not sure if my arm or my sandpaper will hold out, any tips on that would be welcome.

and i should add about the last one he is sumac like the little blacklight one i showed earlier but he was done in the round and had a pithy core that i hollowed out so he may be a hanger, a bit large for an amulet but maybe wind chimes or rear view mirror ornament. he is kind of a peace and love sorta tiki, so maybe i should call him dirty hippie. this from a guy who has long hair a shaggy beard and wears tie die tee shirts all the time.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Customkiis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-18 10:11 am   Permalink

Very nice carvings. I love the design,depth and detail! I think starting with flat chisels is an excellent way to start. They are inexpensive and can be purchased at just about any hardware store. It will also teach you the limitations of that tool. Can't wait to see what you can do with some gouges, "V" tools, skews.

As far as sharpening, are you flattening the back of the chisels? Not only do you need to sharpen the bevel, but you need to sharpen the flat side. Another reason they might feel dull after you sharpen is you might be rolling the edge as you sharpen. To eliminate rolling the edge I try to sharpen flat chisels and skews on the push stroke not the pull/draw. Just my two cents and what works for me.

WOW! nice work

View Profile of Customkiis Send a personal message to Customkiis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-07 6:07 pm   Permalink

been awhile but spent the last month and a half at my uncles in florida and been doing some carving so thought id update.
did this little guy my first week here almost done just some cleanup around the bottom around 14" or so high just guessing.

working on a palm lono about 3 foot tall should have the carve done next day or so then sanding and stain and finish got right at a week to get done before we head home. ill get pics of that one in next few days. pics a little big, guess i should have resized.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicework
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-07 7:45 pm   Permalink

Is that wood pine

View Profile of nicework Send a personal message to nicework  Email nicework     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-07 8:33 pm   Permalink

Very cool carvings domin!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-08 5:39 pm   Permalink

Hey, I remember you. You're the guy with the homemade mallet. I finally retired mine and got a regulation factory made job. Love your latest effort. Hope to see more of your stuff!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation