FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving domins dungeon...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
domins dungeon...
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-01-27 10:45 am   Permalink

trees are oak and southern hackberry. from the bark i thought the oak was a hackberry like the others in his yard, and the hackberry had bark like his oaks. but the wood inside is reversed. the first one is the better wood the one im working on now is kind of iffy, hackberry starts to decay pretty quick if left outside and unprotected.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-15 5:38 pm   Permalink

finished the second stump and started another palm i plan to take home with me. it remains to be seen if my uncle will let me paint them, he says he likes the natural wood look and wants to leave them like they are but this last one is already a bit decayed and was a living tree about 9 months ago when he cut it. i try telling him it will be a pile of rotted wood chips in a couple of months down here if we dont put something on it, but does he listen... anyways here's the pics.

and the new palm after working about an hour today. forgot to get a pic when i got done for the day might be close to finished tomorrow so ill get a pic then.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-16 2:57 pm   Permalink

Very nice domin.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-16 4:41 pm   Permalink

thanks cy.

got the new palm pretty far along today but pics will have to wait since our data plan is just about gone.

domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-03-06 4:57 pm   Permalink

finally got the pics off my mothers phone of this tiki. back home now and this one is pretty much done in shape at least going to add more tattoos when i get a chance.its actually a bit more done than in this pic had toes and teeth and a bit more depth on the tongue yet to do here.

thought i had a side view but guess not ill get more when i get the tattos and a finish on it.

[ This Message was edited by: domin 2016-03-06 17:04 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-06 5:44 pm   Permalink

Very nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-08 3:27 pm   Permalink

pretty close to done carving this drum the views I got today were with my laptop with low battery so didn't get more shots to show the top that's hollowed out. still needs a bit more taper on the inside top as well as cutting in the tattoos on upper and lower lips.

the wood on almost half along the surface is a bit soft and spongy, so to make it less likely of splitting off the narrow bits between the lips and tats, I'm thinking I might put on some polyurethane to soak in and maybe harden the wood. depending on how that turns out I might paint it after. then depending in type of paint used does anyone know if polyurethane would be good for a top clearcoat?

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-09 08:04 am   Permalink

Cool new carvings domin!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation