FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the Big Stone Head thread!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
the Big Stone Head thread!
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 8:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-11-28 17:01, tikibars wrote:
I am intrigued by the moai-ish look of these BIG STONE HEADS to be seen in Prometheus, Ridley Scott's return to the A L I E N franchise.

This film is apparently a pseudo-sequel in which scientists go looking for the origins of man.

(It's the holiday shopping season. Buy my Big Stone Head mug.)

Internet Movie Data Base

Was originally intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien, but Scott decided to turn it into an original film with Noomi Rapace (who was already set to star in the prequel) still in the cast as one of five main characters. Some time later however it was confirmed that while the movie will take place in the same universe as Alien, and greatly reference that movie, it will, for the bigger part, be an original movie and not a direct prequel.

That does look interesting. I am a big Ridley Scott fan. And I see Charlese Theron is in it... You might want to send Ridley a mug... Maybe he'll put it a scene or a corner of a space bar!!

Hangaroa town. Is that the City Hall? I can't remember.

BIG STONE HEAD!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-28 20:04 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-12-04 10:52 am   Permalink

So I just went online and bought the e-download and mug of this book. Will someone email me a link to download the book?

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-04 11:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-04 10:52, tikifred wrote:
So I just went online and bought the e-download and mug of this book. Will someone email me a link to download the book?

When I bought mine I received an email later with instructions for downloading the book, but it wasn't immediate.

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-04 12:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-04 10:52, tikifred wrote:

Hi Fred

Yes, your email for the book download was sent, and your mug will ship some time this week.

Enjoy!
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-12-06 1:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks James- can't wait to get the mug. I'm enjoying reading the book on my iPad. Such an amazing story...though I confess it's depressing when you read about how the Europeans and the Chileans (then the American missionaries) treated the Rapa Nui. I'm only halfway through but I hope things get better!

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-15 3:34 pm   Permalink

Easter Island comes to Venice Beach...

There's actually a 4th Moai that I couldn't fit into the picture.

Off the boardwalk near Market St. They're part of the Venice Beach Biennial Celebration which started on Friday, July 13th so I'm not sure how long they'll be there.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 07:35 am   Permalink

WHoaaa! Time to go to the beach, I say!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 12:18 pm   Permalink

THAT... Is awesome!

Of course, I'm only about 2200 miles away. Dang.

Great pic. Thanks for posting!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 12:24 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately the Moais have already been trucked away as shown in this video.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-16 1:01 pm   Permalink

That's hilarious - they didn't weigh more than a couple hundred pounds, and they fit *perfectly* into the back of the trucks. Now I wonder what warehouse they ended up in and where they will show up again in the future? Wait - I have an idea -- Rent-A-Moai!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-21 10:35 am   Permalink

Hey those Venice Beach Moai (above) look like the "Bronson Moai" (below) in Boris's recent Tiki-Kate post.

C.P. Three Prop House ??

Edit - Or maybe not. The scale of the Venice Beach Moai seem twice as large now that I look closely.

http://www.bigstonehead.com

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-07-21 10:38 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-21 12:59 pm   Permalink

Wow, I'm glad I didn't miss this post. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fish Canoe

Posted: 2012-07-23 3:38 pm   Permalink

I'm new to TC and just read through this thread for the first time. I can't wait to read the BSH book. Easter Island and it's moai top the list of things evocative and exotic for my psyche. I had been thinking all day long today about cultural expropriation after watching authentic Polynesian related videos on you tube last night and weighing it against all the TC exposure feeding my interest in poly-pop, exotica lounge music, and yearning for a tiki bar of my own. As I get ready to make some tiki sculpture, I need to address the subject of cultural exploitation or expropriation generally. Do we do that here? Today I saw a very nice primitive sculpture from East Timor for sale for $125. What can it mean?

View Profile of Fish Canoe Send a personal message to Fish Canoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-07-27 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-03 10:49, crazy al wrote:
book?

Crazy Al's succinct comment speaks volumes (pun intended). As a bibliophile, bookseller and tikiphile let me be the first to state the obvious, which is that "eBooks," "iBooks" and any other vowel-prefaced artifacts are not books. They are bits of digital information, but they are not books. They may contain digital text, information and images, but they are not books. And that's why I haven't purchased one: I want a real book for my investment and my bookshelf. I don't give a half-a-damn about the author's or anyone else's political queasiness about the Rapa Nui (or trees either, for all that): the political history is all but irrelevant to Tiki culture, and cultural guilt is anathema to Tiki culture. Did the Europeans, the Chileans or the missionaries compel the natives to cut down every last tree? Human beings can do incredibly dumb things to themselves, no matter where they're from or what color their skin is, so let's put the kibosh on the bashing of the white devils, what ho?

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2012-07-27 10:37 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation