FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Saxony South Seas, Milwaukee, WI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Saxony South Seas, Milwaukee, WI (restaurant)
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-14 11:41 am   Permalink

I believe Saxony's started out as a more Germanic style such as Mader's/Karl Ratzsch's Restaurants(local) German fare, and began moving to more international fare in 1960 as these ads indicate:

It wouldn't be a stretch seeing the Luau nights becoming more & more popular at this point in time.

I'm not sure if this following ad is pre or post fire grand opening:

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-30 5:30 pm   Permalink

Meega,

Hard to imagine Mader's turning into a Poly Pop joint! I think I still have my Boot stein from when I went there.

Reminds me of another Tiki-German twist, the Trade Winds Tiki motel with the Duetche Hof Restaurant.

But I digress. It's been a good month for Saxony South Seas stuff for me. I just got this really big drink and diner menu.

The cover with the Tiki and the Conch Blower.

Back of the menu salutation.

The best part - the illustrated drink page, what an eye popper.

I don't remember seeing the Trader Vic's style Suffering Bastard mug available at other Tiki places. And, you could buy all of the mugs there. They must not have been marked as I have never seen one with a South Seas logo.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
meega
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-01 11:07 am   Permalink

Well Mader's is still Mader's, but I appears that Saxony's started to experiment, and their Luaus may have been enough of a hit to push a transformation to an all out South Seas theme.
BTW: Nice menus - shows there's still interesting stuff out there to be had.

View Profile of meega Send a personal message to meega  Email meega     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-12 11:32 pm   Permalink

Found a full page newspaper ad for the grand opening. Not sure where the artist was going with that Tiki?

With some fuzzy photos of the interior.

The Shell Bar

The Maori spirit house

The dining room

The freebies and the entertainment

This place looked sweet, Tikis everywhere!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 09:01 am   Permalink

Here is the chef and story on the food from the grand opening ad.

Just a few years later the Saxony shifted to an American menu as documented in this article.

The article also discusses the other two Milwaukee restaurants, the Leilani and Judge's Beyond the Reef.

I guess Milwaukee wasn't ready for three Poly-Pop restaurants!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 6:07 pm   Permalink

A HA! I figured out where the iconic conch blower image used by the South Seas came from.

Ripped from a South Pacific Airlines travel poster!

But, the Tiki image was not borrowed from the South Pacific Airlines promotional photo!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-03 10:01 pm   Permalink

Great archeology, DC. Thanks for all the informative material on this lost Tiki temple.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-11 10:08 pm   Permalink

Another comparison of the Saxony South Seas logo conch blower with the South Pacific Air Lines advertisement.

An what about that description of the travel itinerary! Jet to Hawaii for a day, week or just a frosty Mai Tai! And then fly real first class to Tahiti on a Floating Island in the Sky.

The Saxony South Seas also suffered from Tiki theft more than once, including several giant Clam Shells. Bad Tiki Karma.

Funny that the manager mentions opening a German restaurant where the beer steins would be stolen.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 11:32 am   Permalink

Some good news, one of the stolen Tikis was recovered and returned!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation