[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Moai Kavakava figure
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Moai Kavakava figure
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:01 pm   Permalink

Ahoy All~

Loooong time since I've posted, but the chisels haven't been quite as dormant.. Here are some pics of a recently finalizing Kavakava figure. He stands approximately 8 inches tall, carved from Mahogany..

From wikipedia:
These figures originate from Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The name Moai kavakava is formed from moai for the monumental monolithic human figures found on Easter Island and the word kavakava meaning ribs. Little is known about the cultural context of these figures although they are generally considered to be representations of ancestors. It is believed these figures were worn hanging around the neck of the men who took part in the ritual dances during public ceremonies.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:45 pm   Permalink

ooh, nice figure. In the first photo, it even looks authentically old... great job. Flawless!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 1:59 pm   Permalink

Great Kava Kava. Your homework paid-off in a wonderful piece, congratulations!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 5:39 pm   Permalink

Argghhhh, Capt'n, fine workmanship Sir!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 8:48 pm   Permalink

During summer where I taking my time, enjoying the sun, et cetera, the others working! Here I am doubled in beauty! The sun is so rare here that mine sleep a little ...

Very nice carve Capt'n'Skully! I will try to do as well...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-03 9:36 pm   Permalink

Skully, good to see and hear from you. The kavakava is one of the strangest, creepiest, and thus of course coolest tiki figures around. You've pulled him off to a "T"!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MarkusK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-03 11:24 pm   Permalink

Your carving is looking so incredibly authentic...wow! For me this a 10 out of 10.

View Profile of MarkusK Send a personal message to MarkusK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 07:21 am   Permalink

Most Excellent Kava-Kava guy Skully, How did you DO that? That piece takes Utmost skill and care as well as Daring to do it in the first place. You have been Practicing in your absence I can tell and this piece Shows it. Very Well done so far! How you going to finish him?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 12:36 pm   Permalink

Damn, Skully...you know-I've always wanted to carve one of those but you beat me to it! Very dead-on job. Nice work!
Member #490

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 1:28 pm   Permalink

Wow, amazing carving, perfect!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 3:47 pm   Permalink

Man, you did such a great job on that kavakava figure. I want to try one of those too one day. I like how you did the ear plugs.

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 06:06 am   Permalink

Great work! Glad someone finally tackled this, and as a reproduction. Fanrasric!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali_Dan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-10 08:50 am   Permalink

Holy Crap!! That is awesome.

View Profile of Bali_Dan Send a personal message to Bali_Dan  Goto the website of Bali_Dan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 9:52 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: hottiki 2011-03-17 00:05 ]

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 10:05 pm   Permalink

eye capt! it is a beautiful carve. will you be oiling up the old man or staining? can't wait to see what you decide to do.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation