FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Tiki Epiphany!!
Tiki Epiphany!!
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-04 10:58 pm   Permalink

I've been able to find fresh White Grapefruit for the first time ever, and I have had a total Tiki Epiphany!!!!

Up until this very week I have only been able to find red, pink or Indian River grapefruit. I happened upon a cache of white grapefruit at our local Fresh Market, which is a smallish upscale grocery chain for those that aren't familiar with it. The white grapefruit juice has a cleaner and purer flavour than the other varieties of the fruit have, but with a razor-focused grapefruit flavour. So far I've made a Navy Grog, Jet Pilot and Zombie with the white grapefruit, and they have been the best version of those drinks that I've ever made.

I'm going to be very sad to see this fruit go away when it's gone. I wonder if I can freeze large quantities of it? (only half joking there)

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 12:14 am   Permalink

It's amazing what that white grapefruit does for those drinks, isn't it? Just superior and delicious.

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-05 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-05 00:14, Melintur wrote:
It's amazing what that white grapefruit does for those drinks, isn't it? Just superior and delicious.

It's the fresh grapefruit. I have a tree in the yard and I can say unequivocally, fresh grapefruit is soooo different than what you get in the store.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-05 10:41 pm   Permalink

You have to be careful too, a lot of the grapefruit juice in the stores isn't grapefruit juice. It's high fructose corn syrup or apple juice flavored with 5-10% grapefruit juice.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-06 9:10 pm   Permalink

Check your local Meijer stores. The Meijer here in Dayton
carries a 5lb bag of organic white grapefruit right now.
I'm enjoying some great drinks while I can.

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation