FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki,, Montreal, QC., Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kon Tiki,, Montreal, QC., Canada (restaurant)
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-09 06:11 am   Permalink

Name:Kon Tiki,
Type:restaurant
Street:1455 Peel St.
City:Montreal, QC.
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I couldn't find a thread for this particular location so I thought I'd start one up.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-08-09 08:15 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-09 06:22 am   Permalink

Great postcard of the exterior.

Matchbook.

Swizzle.

A great image of a night out for the folks. Suit and tie for the guys, dresses and pearls for the gals.

A great menu from Mimi's collection. You can see one of the clam shell lights in the background.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-09-05 11:17 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 12:55 pm   Permalink

One of the great Tiki restaurants, I have quite a bit of paper from this place. Love that exterior treatment on the side of the Sheraton Building.

Here are some images from my collection and the Canadian Tiki post.

Interior/Exterior Postcards

Exterior photo from ZuluMagoo

Postcard and text from TabooDan with a shot of the hotel and the Kon Tiki entrance.

Must be closer to the 1959 opening date as there is no circular Kon Tiki sign above the roof in this shot. Was probably added later because you really couldn't see the restaurant if you were walking or driving down the road until you were on top of it!

A little closer one of the entrance where you can see the statues (off to right) and the cool design to the shape of the roof protruding from the Hotel.

Some of the great menu art, I put these up in my motorhome.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 5:08 pm   Permalink

Here is a larger size postcard I have that shows more of the interior of the restaurant.

You can see a nice diorama scene behind the bar.

A crisp blow-up of the great entrance.

Here is another matchbook with the three cannibals logo.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 5:31 pm   Permalink

Great stuff DC!!

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 11:18 pm   Permalink

Here's the souvenir photo folder from the Montreal Kon Tiki (sorry, no photo inside)

And a Schweppes ad from the July 28, 1962 issue of MACLEAN'S magazine:

Close-up of the lamp on the table:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 09:45 am   Permalink

Nice stuff Sabu.

That Schweppes add cracks me up. A night out on the town at one of the all-time great Tiki temples and they order vodka tonics in the signature Collins glass! (note the umbrella on the side!)

I think the ad company mis-cast this photo shot.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 11:01 am   Permalink

Yeah, I can see the possible benefit for the Kon Tiki to have an image of their restaurant appear in a large magazine, but I'm not sure of the benefit, tangible or intangible for Schweppes. It does seem like a mis-match.

I have a similar beer ad showing stylish patrons enjoying a beer at the San Francisco Trader Vic's which had me scratching my head too.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 4:12 pm   Permalink

This thread has some really great photos of this Tiki temple, here is another one I found online. It is from the Chisom family tree website and was taken in 1961.

Great shot of the lamp and the coconut mug with a Kon Tiki swizzle sticking out.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 7:43 pm   Permalink

Now, could you please tell us what the crumbs on the table consist of ?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 8:04 pm   Permalink

I thought those were ashes?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 9:24 pm   Permalink

You Tiki CSI guys you! You are right! - That's disgusting...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 9:32 pm   Permalink

We'll how many drinks have they had? The ash tray is getting smaller and smaller.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 11:18 pm   Permalink

How do you know its not blow, coke, nose candy?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-31 4:22 pm   Permalink

You have to remember that smoking was the norm back then, each table outfitted with a nifty little ashtray that we now collect.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Here is another family photo I found online from the Kon Tiki in Montreal circa 1971. Looks like the drinking age was about 16 back then.

Check out those BIG drinks. Double ashtrays with a lit butt.

DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation