FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Noa Noa (the drink) with 151 Lemon Hart?
Noa Noa (the drink) with 151 Lemon Hart?
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 03:42 am   Permalink

Hi,
I'd like to make the Grog Log's recipe for Noa Noa, which calls for 3 oz. demarera rum. I have Lemon Hart 151 and feel that 3 oz. of this might be a little too strong for the drink. What would you recommend to do, considering that buying an 80 proof is not an option? Use only 2 oz? dilute it with another rum?

Thanks,
Keren.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Beachbum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-12 05:34 am   Permalink

Three ounces of Demerera 151 in the Noa Noa is going to blow your doors off. It's hard to imagine what you could substitute for a lower proof Demerera in that drink, because it's that smoky Demerera flavor that makes the Noa Noa.

Have you tried looking for El Dorado Demerera? Lower proof El Dorados may be easier to find.

Otherwise, you could try mixing maybe half an ounce or an ounce of the 151 with maybe a dark Jamaican? I'd defer to some of the other experts around here though.

View Profile of Suburban Beachbum Send a personal message to Suburban Beachbum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 08:36 am   Permalink

The Noa Noa is based on the Queen's Park Swizzle, one of my favorite rum drinks. You might try using the 3 rums of the QPS, with the brown sugar of the Noa Noa. I.e., 1 oz. Demerara (151 is OK - it's only one ounce), 1 oz. dark Jamaican, 1 oz. gold (e.g., Puerto Rican). You'll still get a pronounced Demerara taste.
Or (shudder!), you could gently warm the 151, and evaporate some of the "excess" alcohol...

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 09:19 am   Permalink

Forget the 151. Use any quality dark or amber rum you have instead. You won't miss the flavor that much with the drink.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 10:55 am   Permalink

Lemon Hart does make a regular proof demarera rum. Most people don't notice, but the labeling on Lemon Hart is very subtle between the regular and 151 proofings. The 151 label has a tiny triangular proof mark on the corner.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 8:44 pm   Permalink

Supposedly L&H 151 is being discontinued. Don't waist it.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 10:12 pm   Permalink

You could try a Navy Rum, such as Pussers, which has some Demerara rums in it's blend. Perhaps an ounce of the 151 Dem and two ounces of Pussers.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 02:03 am   Permalink

Thank you all for the tips and discussions.

Suburban Beachbum - the El Dorado rum that's being imported to Israel isn't demarera rum. I don't know what it is and I've never tried it, having been recommended not to bother, either in these forums or by Kick_the_Reverb. (picture of the El Dorado available here can be found in
http://www.bakbuk.co.il/HTMLPAGE/internal.asp?cat=1&nam=728&tat=12 )

Limbo Lizard and Swanky - yay! both are good ideas. CincyTikiCraig - still don't have Navy Rum.

Quickiki - my bottle is 151. We took Bigtikidude as a QA on our pilgrimage to Hi Times last December

Mr. NoNaMe - I started this thread because I don't want to waste my Lemon Hart. Don't mind experimenting and spilling w/white rum, dark Jamaican, my simple Agricole and even Havana Club, which is REALLY expensive, but at least available. I have no idea when's the next time I'll be in an affordable and extensive liquor store so I'm being very, very careful (or, well, cheap )

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-12 20:44, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Supposedly L&H 151 is being discontinued. Don't waist it.

According to a comment by rugbymatt on the thread linked below, that isn't true (fingers crossed):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=32640&forum=10&start=0

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor Pineapple
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-13 09:55 am   Permalink

I probably wouldn't bother making a Noa Noa with anything but demerara; the brown sugar just pairs so well with it! 3oz of 151 would be nutty. I like Limbo Lizard's suggestion the best.

View Profile of Professor Pineapple Send a personal message to Professor Pineapple  Goto the website of Professor Pineapple     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation