FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki 1974 'Guide to Polynesian Restaurants in Dallas'
1974 'Guide to Polynesian Restaurants in Dallas'
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 6:05 pm   Permalink

"Right On, King Kamehameha!"
'A Guide to Polynesian Restaurants in Dallas', by Ann Worley
A review, published in the Sunday magazine of the Dallas Times Herald (a now defunct daily), on June 30, 1974 (Doncha love the vintage 70's title!). After an introduction, the reviewer covers Ports O'Call, Trader Vic's, and Don the Beachcomber (new, that year).
Sorry for the image quality - camera shots from library archives, and a bit of cut/paste to get it all in 2 column format.

Dallas Ports O'Call

Dallas Trader Vic's

and last, Dallas Don the Beachcomber

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-14 11:21 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-13 6:15 pm   Permalink

Oh, and here's the ad that ran on the page with the TV review :

In 1974, our favorite spirit was called "fun-rum"?

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-13 19:58 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-13 8:03 pm   Permalink

Great reading! Thanks for posting this Limbo.

Polynesian Steak House? Anyone have details on this???

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 06:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for scanning and posting, LL!
I look forward to reading all the info
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-14 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-13 20:03, Grand Kahu wrote:
...Polynesian Steak House? Anyone have details on this???

Mentioned it to Kenike, and he'd never heard of it. It didn't turn up in a search of assumed names of Dallas businesses. "Polynesian Steak House" might not have been the official name (e.g., Larry's Polynesian Steak House). I need to get back down to the main library and check Yellow Pages, 1973 and earlier, and see if that's the full name. Hopefully, they had a big ad, with lot's of info.

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-15 08:17 am   Permalink

AWESOME JOB LL!!!

..uh, I mean, Right On!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2009-08-15 08:18 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-01 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-14 06:46, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-13 20:03, Grand Kahu wrote:
...Polynesian Steak House? Anyone have details on this???

Mentioned it to Kenike, and he'd never heard of it. It didn't turn up in a search of assumed names of Dallas businesses. "Polynesian Steak House" might not have been the official name (e.g., Larry's Polynesian Steak House). I need to get back down to the main library and check Yellow Pages, 1973 and earlier, and see if that's the full name. Hopefully, they had a big ad, with lot's of info.

OK, its official name was Polynesian Steaks (Polynesian Steaks, Inc.). It was on West Northwest Hwy., near Bachman Lake/Love Field. It apparently was a spin-off from the House of Gong. It opened sometime after March, in 1973, and was gone by mid-'74.
Here's a 7-11-1973 Dallas Morning News article (with the irrelevant part removed) about the place.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-09-01 10:45 ]

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 11:12 am   Permalink

1 more place I was not aware of. I took the images from flikr. It's now the site of a doggy daycare. The intersection is Northwest Highway and Easton.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-27 1:01 pm   Permalink

REALLY enjoyed reading those reviews! Thanks for finding & sharing them. It's so amusing to read articles of people trying to seriously critique "Polynesian food." Of course no American would really PAY to actually eat what the Polynesians ate (with the exception of roast pork, perhaps)and I love how one restaurant serves "Polynesian food"...and then preceeds to name various Chinese dishes...
I mean, it's just a thing of beauty.
My favorite phrase: Javanese sate (Polynesian shish kabob)
I think that just about somes up everything that's so wrong, yet so right, about all these tiki restaurants. Reading these has made me hungry for some of that Polynesian food. I'm heading out to the near by Chinese buffet for lunch!

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation