FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Lines, fake cops, and over-crowding
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Lines, fake cops, and over-crowding
Kicking Tiki

Posted: 2009-08-18 10:53 am   Permalink

I had a great time this was my third trip to TO.
Having said that - I agree with Ron Tiki - a
professional staff compensated with more than tee shirts
and mugs would go a long way in improving everyone's
TO experience. Otto - you have a wonderful event here
but the logistics need to be ironed out. You get what you
pay for.

[ This Message was edited by: Kicking Tiki 2009-08-18 10:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kicking Tiki 2009-08-18 10:54 ]

View Profile of Kicking Tiki Send a personal message to Kicking Tiki  Email Kicking Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 11:10 am   Permalink

If room is an issue, well then why don't we move the event to a convention center?
Moving Tiki Oasis to the Anaheim Convention center would give us the room. But take away the atmosphere, and the Ohana feel would evaporate very quickly. Besides, I don't know of any tiki theme hotels with a large attendee capacity. Perhaps now that the additional space in one of the convention halls could be utilized as a registration center. Tiki Oasis was crazy this year, our room party in 1803 was crowded as well. I found my self holding people from coming in. 98% had no issue with this, understood and patiently waited.

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 09:12, Tiki Phill wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-18 06:51, Cammo wrote:

Also, the wristbands could simply be mailed in advance, when you actually order the tickets. (Why not?) Then the line would be 1/2 the length to begin with.

Because they would be counterfeited like mad, trust me. That's why San Diego Comic con stopped doing it about a decade ago.

People got in with blue painter's tape.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 08:52, TikiShopPua wrote:
Quote:

An alphabetical lineup is a good idea, but better is clipboard floaters who move up the line with wristbands in hand and a simple checklist. If you folks are holding computer printouts and Drivers Licenses it should take about 5 seconds per group to get checked in. The 'one line, one desk' process obviously doesn't work all that well.

That's a great idea and at some points, Mateo DID do that. You don't know how much easier it would have been if everyone had a printout or confirmation in their hands. One simple thing might have made all the difference in the world in moving things along. I personally send my heartfelt mahalos to those of you who had the foresight to have a printout with them. And yep, the "one line, one desk" process probably needs work, but my goodness, don't take out your frustration on the volunteers sitting behind the desk. We were there to help!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-08-18 08:59 ]

Could work, but could also lead to errors. You have 3 lists and you need to reconcile them. End of the day you want to be sure guest X got their 2 wristbands and they got them once.

It's all growing pains. Too small to worry about these details much, too big and these deatils are an issue but you can't afford or manage a better solution, big enough that it all gets taken care of.

In the end, most folks here are saying the same things. The lines are a chance, like all of the event, to meet people and catch up with old friends.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-18 2:04 pm   Permalink

maybe the event should be tiki only---and not include other ideas or groups!!!let tiki be tiki, let lowbrow be lowbrow and let burlesque be burlesque. in separate venues

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tuna Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-18 2:25 pm   Permalink

I too would like to apologize to Afkarp's Moai for being a little tough, I do understand your frustration. I think a lot of valid points and good suggestions have been brought up here. Despite some minor glitches, I had a Great time. This was my third TO and I think the best. I have learned past events what anticipate. Otto, Baby Doe and Mateo did and incredible job staging such a vast production. I am sure they are monitoring this thread and are getting some ideas for next year.

Otto, I for one want to step up now and volunteer to help with next year's event. Please PM me and tell me what I can do both in the planning and at the event itself.

View Profile of Tuna Tiki Send a personal message to Tuna Tiki  Email Tuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-18 6:07 pm   Permalink

I do believe that circumstances can affect your experience of an event. You can drive for several hours in heavy traffic, check into a hotel and not get the room you wanted, wait in long lines for a wristband, drinks, eat bad food, get poor service, etc. For some they did not experience any of this, others may have experienced all of this and more. I think Babydoe and Otto and all the volunteers do a great job for such a large event.

The wristband issue seems very easy to fix and there have already been many suggestions for this. The pool area is too small for even the registered guests, so I don't think trying to keep others out will work. The staff of the hotel were very nice and helpful to us. We already knew that the food and waitstaff service at the Crowne need help, but that has not changed with all the complaining over the years. Bring your own food and/or carpool a group to go out for grub. post to the locals for some food recommendations....they are always friendly and helpful.

We did not make it to some of the big room parties due to long lines and some being too late (especially if you are a vendor or past your binge drinking days). We were able to find some smaller room parties with no bands and had a great time. It also helps if you carry a jug of your own cocktails to pour for the room hosts (and yourself). We had to wait in some lines, eat bad food, have my folding dolly stolen, etc., but the good was way better than the bad, plus we get to see our old friends and meet some new listen to good music, seminars and more!

To sum up....don't be too hard on the people that are complaining as this may be their first Oasis or they may have had just too many things go wrong. To the complainers....read the thread and learn what you can do next time to have a better experience.

We look forward to seeing everyone again.....Aloha!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 8:20 pm   Permalink

My only concerns were with drunk individuals who thought they were so self-important as to cut into lines at some of the room parties, i.e. Lemoncello Lounge. Here was a way cool party where limited edition mugs were going to be handed out. A line of patient individuals formed and waited. However, it was well noticed that more than a few individuals headed to the front of the line and crashed into the room rather than wait their turn.

Being drunk is not an excuse for bad behavior. Hell, the rest of the line was just as drunk.

In my experience, drunk rude people are also sober rude people.

You know who you are.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2009-08-18 20:21 ]

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 9:19 pm   Permalink

"Could work, but could also lead to errors. You have 3 lists and you need to reconcile them. End of the day you want to be sure guest X got their 2 wristbands and they got them once. "

The floaters do 5 individuals at a time, then just go back to the desk and check them off the main list. Then back to the line and get the next 5. We did that with the seminars and had 3 lines going with everybody signed in well before the event. (It's not that hard!)

The main thing, as somebody pointed out, is to make sure people have their printed out receipts & ID with them.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 20:20, telescopes wrote:
My only concerns were with drunk individuals who thought they were so self-important as to cut into lines at some of the room parties, i.e. Lemoncello Lounge. Here was a way cool party where limited edition mugs were going to be handed out. A line of patient individuals formed and waited. However, it was well noticed that more than a few individuals headed to the front of the line and crashed into the room rather than wait their turn.

Being drunk is not an excuse for bad behavior. Hell, the rest of the line was just as drunk.

In my experience, drunk rude people are also sober rude people.

You know who you are.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2009-08-18 20:21 ]

I have mixed emotions on this. As a room host, I should be able to let in whoever I want even if there is a line. It is after all my room.

I agree about the sober rude people.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-17 10:56, tikitony wrote:
As a vendor, I had a great time......Couldn't ask for any better service from them! And Tiki Oasis has become a GIANT, and all that planning is appreciated by all, Thanks Otto and Baby Doe.

Thanks, Tony!
We'll see new protocol for 2010 which will make everyone much happier!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 10:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-16 18:09, Afkarp's Moai wrote:
...but if your only paying $60 at the Motel 6 an I'm paying nearly 3 times that much, you should use your own hotel's amenities so I can use mine.

Great point. Honestly, Motel 6 was $89.99 per night for all the peak nights of Oasis--much more of a stretch than $160 considering the quality of the Hanalei (and that's very short of the top prices at the Hanalei).

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 12:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 09:12, Tiki Phill wrote:
Quote:

Also, the wristbands could simply be mailed in advance, when you actually order the tickets. (Why not?) Then the line would be 1/2 the length to begin with.

Because they would be counterfeited like mad, trust me. That's why San Diego Comic con stopped doing it about a decade ago.

It's true... let me know if you need some counterfeited...

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 05:08 am   Permalink

I think Otto and all the volunteers did an outstanding job, and some of the complaints I'm hearing about stem from things beyond their control. The food lines out by the stage/pool area- Crowne Plaza needs to look into that. I talked with a staff member and they told me they ran through 2,000 patties in a single day. Definitely bigger crowds than what they were expecting. Also, one of the main sponsors, Primo Beer, ran out of beer by Saturday evening. I think these are great signs of how successful/popular Tiki Oasis has become.

Security did a great job, and I didn't feel that they were heavy-handed at all, though viewing their single-file entrance from my balcony was great imagery like something from some Orwellian movie... maybe if they wore leis? No wristband, no access, what's so hard about that? They mostly stuck to the bottom floors and the performance area, and I never noticed them at any of the room crawls I attended. Though they could have been a little more understanding for some people, I know Jonpaul from the Tikiyaki Orchestra couldn't get back to where he needed to go since he didn't have a wristband. And... they actually did their jobs by catching a few with blue masking tape wristbands! I know I would have been too drunk or happy to notice that. Talking with some of the security folks, they enjoyed the weekend too, and even hustle amongst themselves to see who gets duty Oasis weekend.

There's been some great suggestions here, and I am sure that all will be considered for next year. Let's not forget that little area that was under new construction near the conference rooms... that equates to more space/room for next year!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rich

Posted: 2009-08-19 11:05 am   Permalink

Aloha! Hey my wife and I had a great time! This was our first T.O. Hey, this is the price of success. I first want to say the Tiki people are crazy!(and I mean that in a good way). I have been to many events where people were drinking, and Tiki people are very polite. The lady that checked us in to the hotel told us that she thought this too, and told us that this was not always so. I think we freaked out the security little bit(you have to admit were a strange lot). But we had no problems with them. The volunteers did a great job! People BRING YOUR PATIENCE! OOO I had to stand in line! Come on, we live in a modern world! All and all we had a very good experience and can't wait tell next year, Mahalo.

View Profile of Rich Send a personal message to Rich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation