FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving KINO's carving thread....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
KINO's carving thread....
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-16 8:15 pm   Permalink

Hey all !!
I found this site and wanted to say 'MAHALO !'
I carved some logs that I kept when I cut down my palms.
These are from oldest to newest. ( I like think I gettin betta )

What you tink ?

these da first few

these are the last couple I did

this one is a dead trunk my friend wanted me to carve.(still in ground)
its kinda rotten and hollow inside , so I couldnt go deep.
thats why I painted it for better depth

[ This Message was edited by: Kino 2009-11-17 11:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kino 2009-11-18 12:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kino 2010-02-03 15:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kino 2010-11-12 12:18 ]

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-16 8:27 pm   Permalink

can somebody tell me why some post i go to i can not see the pics ?
this is very frustrating.

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-16 8:54 pm   Permalink

Hello Kino!

Welcome on board! Nice palm carve you have!
The posts where you can't see the pics are too old, sure, it is very very frustrating...

Keep good time with carving and share your work!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-16 10:03 pm   Permalink

thanks, I'll be having some new ones soon cuz I got fresh logs

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 04:45 am   Permalink

Kino,

Welcome to TC, Glad to have you here and Really happy that you seem to be Bitten by the Tiki Bug. Once you carve a few you are under the spell and can't get away. These first ones are Excellent for beginnings and it looks like you have done this before?

Yes, the older posts with the thumbnails or Tiny pic's are Aggravating but there's not much can be done. We Used to use Shutterfly a lot to store and post images. They suffered growing pains a couple times and renamed all their master files to the extent that all the stored photos were renamed and thus failed to show anything more than a red X or sometimes a thumbnail. Some artists posted links to shutterly as I did if you look on page one of my thread. But, alas, it isn't the same and would be nicer if the links actually worked...

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-17 07:10 am   Permalink

Benzart, thanks for looking.
I just dabble with sketching and being creative, but these TIKIS have really bit me hard. Over the past 5 or 6 years I have made about 15 or so.
Just for my own enjoyment and for gifts. I never really did anything like this before that. You should have seen my first one, YIKES !, all the reliefs were backwards. lol. It looked like a 4 year olds scribble.

Now , I have a connection for some logs and want to make a whole army of TIKIS.

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 08:56 am   Permalink

Aloha Kino! I can almost here the chainsaw rumble as i look at these toothy fellows. Where in NM are you? I spent ten years in the Burque where I curated a gallery on route 66. I sure miss the smell of green chile's roasting!- Hodaddy

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 09:07 am   Permalink

Nice works Kino. Are they carved completely with the chainsaw?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-17 11:46 am   Permalink

hodadhank, I have to change my location, I was just being creative (although I did live in ABQ for 2 yrs myself)

I'm actually in - The Valley of The Sun

BigT, I wish I was that good with a chainsaw ! I use the Arbor Tech carving tool.

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-17 1:19 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard Kino. Glan to have you joining TC. Your work looks great! You can't be a first timer? Great depth and nice flow already. Your a natural! Keep them coming and happy carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-18 7:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words.
I have been looking at the work of others here and its making me feel like a real amatuer. But I will continue on the journey. Any and all comments and suggestions that will help me progress are greatly appreciated.

I have noticed that some have actually drawn lines on the palms. In the begining
I tried that myself , but had bad luck with the marker pens. Any suggestions for markers, etc. ? Also, does anyone carve palms when they are still wet ?

Thanks in advance

Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 9:56 pm   Permalink

Kool stuff Kino,Look'n good!
Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 07:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-18 19:41, Kino wrote:
I have noticed that some have actually drawn lines on the palms. In the begining
I tried that myself , but had bad luck with the marker pens. Any suggestions for markers, etc. ? Also, does anyone carve palms when they are still wet ?

I use the Sharpie brand markers (they're permanent), but haven't drawn on palm. Don't think it would be any different though.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 08:11 am   Permalink

I use chalk or pencil since they both clean up easily. The chalk comes off with a stiff bristle brush and the pencil erases with a light sanding.
Palm is much easier to carve wet but for any details you want to add, you need to let it dry some after roughing it out. Each log and type of palm is different and you'll learn to get a feel for what you can do with them.

Cheers.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-19 12:52 pm   Permalink

watango- thanks for looking and kindness

Big T- thanks for the input

Heath- I kinda found that adding detail was hard when dryer. (not that I have a lot of detail in the first place) It seems the palm wants to fray more the dryer it gets.

I am getting ready to start another piece and after browsing here on TC I have grown fond of the more traditional (?) styles of TIKIS.
The full body and headress types make me warm & fuzzy. I have wanted to do a full body for a long time and I say that time has come !!!

Stay Tuned......

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation