FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Ski? Anyone?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Ski? Anyone?
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 4:03 pm   Permalink

Any Tiki Oasis Skier/snowboarders around here? I am a ski patroller at Snow Valley ski resort outside of Running Springs. Normally it’s the resort most folks pass on their way up to Big Bear. Anyone interested in the coming months to put on an event and do a sort of “Tiki ski?” the parking lot is huge up there so I know I could get some area blocked off so we could have a little BBQ and share with the other non-tiki skiers the magic of our Ohana. Just a thought if anyone is interested. Would most likely be in January. The hill is a smaller family oriented hill. A little slower pace and great for families with little ones. If anyone is interested PM me and lets see what we can come up with!

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 4:19 pm   Permalink

An NO I don't get any sort of kick back from the hill. Nor is this some promotional endeavor. Just some tiki folks Skiing and Snowboarding. Oh and I'm pretty sure I could get some group pricing for the day as well.

[ This Message was edited by: IKABOD 2009-08-18 16:21 ]

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 5:37 pm   Permalink

Do you ever ski Mammoth ? They have a full-on Tiki bar/restaurant there. Here's my review:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=31052&forum=1&vpost=429593&hilite=lakanuki

I try to get in 20 snowboarding days there each winter.

My guess is that Tiki culture and action sports really don't go together, aside from the few TC'ers who are surfers (and I don't mean the channel or web kind).

Maybe responses to this post will prove me wrong. I'd be interested in visiting a local hill. Aloha wear would be a good way to stand out.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-08-18 17:43 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 5:43 pm   Permalink

If I was west coast I'd do it. I ride New england (vermont/stratton) 40 + days on a snowboard. Its sounds like a cool idea just need to pick a spring type weekend and post it up! Any lift discounts are sure to help.

I'm sure you guys have seen the Burton and Shag collaboration of snowboards too!
- tiki and snow why not!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Don Brewski
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-18 6:01 pm   Permalink

Don Brewski issues snowboard beat-downs at Mammoth every year...(Folks live 10 miles outside of Bishop)

Tiki-Ski sounds like a blast!

View Profile of Don Brewski Send a personal message to Don Brewski  Goto the website of Don Brewski     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 6:26 pm   Permalink

I selected Snow Valley for the reason of closeness for the so-cal snowboarder/skiiers (and I believe I could get better group rate) Mammoth would be awesome. I was thinking more in the lines of a Febuary time frame but perhaps spring would bring out the not-so-cold-weather folks. I do think this could work. I don't want this year to be a full blown event with vender's and such. Since the weather could be a problem. I'm all for doing what I can to make this happen. Just seeing what the interest is. I'm thinking if we get around 40+ TC'ers interested we could have ourselves an event! I would love to do this!

IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 6:29 pm   Permalink

John-O do you know if the mammoth Tiki Bar is still there? That could be a rally point. I can contact them and see if they know some "insider" lodging locations. Tickets to Mammoth are in the $80 range.... I could be wrong. I am so down with Ahoha shirts on the hill.... It wouldn't be the same!

[ This Message was edited by: IKABOD 2009-08-18 18:31 ]

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 8:23 pm   Permalink

Lakanuki is still in business.
http://www.lakanuki.com/

If you want to do it in Mammoth, I would suggest April as an appropriate month. The Spring skiing/boarding is classic !!

If you can get at least 30 people, the numbers are there to charter a Tiki bus from LA.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Von Zombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-18 9:08 pm   Permalink

I know a couple NorCal folks that would be up for a road trip!!

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Von Zombie 2009-08-19 01:42 ]

View Profile of Dr. Von Zombie Send a personal message to Dr. Von Zombie  Email Dr. Von Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-18 10:39 pm   Permalink

Hmmm well I haven't gone skiing since the 80's but my house is about 25 minutes down the mountain in north Berdoo. If your idea works into something maybe I can plan to open my yard/bar to visitors on thier way up or down the mountain that day...? Just an idea...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=27675&forum=18&start=0

View Profile of Aloha John Send a personal message to Aloha John  Email Aloha John Goto the website of Aloha John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 01:10 am   Permalink

Sounds very fun! I'd be there!

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 08:23 am   Permalink

Mammoth, around the April Time frame. Sounds good. Some things we will need to consider:
1. Transporation, we all go alone or socal TC and Norcal TCer's rent van?
2. Need to find a cheap place to stay or all pile into a big rental?
3. I would like us all to be able to be in the same location. Just a thought.

Suggestions? Connections? Insider knowledge?

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 08:45 am   Permalink

I had that same idea last year!!!! with some fears it might just be me and Wes(House o Tiki).....BUT Spring time in shorts!! is my idea!! self employed I go only on those Sunny Tuesdays after the storm........... However standing in long lines all Tikied up would be a hoot!! if it was sunny... I like Sun... me no like the cold......

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-19 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 08:23, IKABOD wrote:
Suggestions? Connections? Insider knowledge?

IKABOD,

I can provide some guidance here. I've been affiliated with an LA-based ski club and have been running weekend bus trips to Mammoth for almost 20 years. I have relationships with 2 moderately-priced condo complexes and well as a reputable bus charter company. I understand the logistics of getting 30-40 people up and back from Mammoth safely.

Here's a suggested itinerary

1. Friday, 6:30pm - Meet at a central location to board the bus. Van Nuys Fly-Away is a good location as it provides secured parking.
2. 5-6 hour drive to Mammoth - You can serve pre-mixed Mai Tai's while everyone socializes and/or watches Tiki-themed movies.
3. Friday, Midnight - Arrive at condos.
4. Saturday morning - The bus can take everyone to one of the lodges or late sleepers can catch a shuttle.
5. Saturday, 10am - Meet at the sign in front of McCoy Station (mid-mountain) for a group ski.
6. Saturday evening - Private Tiki event at Lakanuki.
7. Sunday morning - Back to the slopes.
8. Sunday noon - Outdoor Tiki BBQ.
9. Sunday, 4pm - Bus departs for LA.
10. Sunday, 9:30pm - Arrive back.

Cost for lodging and the chartered bus would be approx $6000. The bus can hold 45 people. If you get 30 people at $200 each, this would be the break-even point. This does not include lift tickets or event food/drinks.

The major issues are follows:

1. Getting pre-payment as you need to pay for the bus and lodging beforehand.
2. Liability. Ski clubs have insurance for a reason. If you organize a paid event open to the general public, you might have exposure. You should consult with a lawyer if you choose to run a formal event (like Tiki Oasis is).

Please feel free to PM me with your contact info if you decide to move forward with this.

What's Mammoth like in the Spring? Check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO_eBYthO2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy1MNJYQ6PA

JOHN-O

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-19 2:57 pm   Permalink

WoooHooo! Sounds like a fun event.....please keep SoccerTiki and I posted

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation