FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Beach Fest, Long Beach, sat and sun 22nd 23rd
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Posts: 1099
From: Long Beach, CA
Posted: 2009-08-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

I don't know about no teriyaki chicken but I do know I had a great time.

Thanks to all that stopped by, it was great seeing some familiar faces show up and swap Tiki Oaisis stories.

Lets do it again next year!!
_________________



The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/


 
View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 8965
From: Anaheim,Ca.
Posted: 2009-08-24 4:54 pm   Permalink

sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.


if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)


 
View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 12, 2006
Posts: 308
From: NoHo, a Stone's throw from the Hut, CA
Posted: 2009-08-24 6:12 pm   Permalink

The event was ok. I picked up a couple things. There was the ever present touristy crap that shows up at these things. But, Swanpfire and Crazy Al definitely kicked up the quality! I was very disappointed to see that Wikitiki didn't show, I was hoping to score some more shirts! All in all, I wasn't disappointed that I went.
I did miss the Smokin' Menehunes though.


 
View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwmn
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Posts: 27
From: SoCal
Posted: 2009-08-24 8:55 pm   Permalink

A few of us went on Sunday, and with the exception Crazy Al and Doug Horne, there were no Tiki vendors. We were very disappointed, as we had cashed in our coin jars. Where was everyone? Still tikied-out from Tiki Oasis?

 
View Profile of Tikiwmn Send a personal message to Tikiwmn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 25, 2002
Posts: 1849
From: CA
Posted: 2009-08-24 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-19 08:59, crazy al wrote:

Tiki Fest has gone back to it's Hawaiian Hula roots! so come out for some see some great HULA!!!!




Jeff... I think that this, the second post on the thread, plus the fabulous flier you posted was pretty good info as to the nature of this year's event. But keep up the great work informing all. You did post this thing before i did. That was cool.


 
View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 10, 2005
Posts: 1202
From: Ling Cod Beach, CA 90803
Posted: 2009-08-24 11:36 pm   Permalink

Did that Bruddah Moki, or whatever that thing with the big rubber head was, make an appearance? I missed it if it did.

 
View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 30, 2002
Posts: 1462
Posted: 2009-08-24 11:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-24 16:54, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.


if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)




"somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it. "

I think it's still OK to have an opinion here Jeff, but second-hand speculation is just that.


 
View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 704
From: LBCTIKI
Posted: 2009-08-25 12:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-24 23:36, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Did that Bruddah Moki, or whatever that thing with the big rubber head was, make an appearance? I missed it if it did.



Yeah, it/he/whatever was walking around, scaring kids, and shaking hands when we were there. The poor guy had to hold the head on with his hands most of the time, because it was so tall.


 
View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 3097
From: Redondo Beach, CA
Posted: 2009-08-25 12:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-24 23:51, squid wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-24 16:54, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.


if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)




"somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it. "

I think it's still OK to have an opinion here Jeff, but second-hand speculation is just that.



Second hand or first hand, as long as the information is correctly relayed, then there is really no difference.


 
View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 30, 2002
Posts: 1462
Posted: 2009-08-25 01:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-25 00:16, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-24 23:51, squid wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-24 16:54, bigtikidude wrote:
sorry for being a wet blanket,
I just thought that people might want a reality report,
not a rainbows and unicorns review.


if you went and had fun, great for you.
I guess, TC is a if you don't have anything good to say,
shut the fuck up, type of forum now.

Jeff(btd)




"somebody there at the Party said they went to the tiki fest,
and said it was the worst they had ever seen it. "

I think it's still OK to have an opinion here Jeff, but second-hand speculation is just that.



Second hand or first hand, as long as the information is correctly relayed, then there is really no difference.




Fair enough.

So let me rephrase that:

That's someone else's negative opinion you are relaying. We would like to hear YOUR opinion from a first-hand perspective.



 
View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 18, 2003
Posts: 845
From: Alta Loma, California
Posted: 2009-08-25 09:04 am   Permalink

Cindy , my son and I had a lot of fun . I bought a bamboo blowgun that is dead on . But now I have to find some type of paralizing poison to dip the darts in .
One great thing that happened . We were strolling along and someone noticed the Koa wood Lono necklace I had had carved for Cindy and asked if Crazy Al had carved that for her . What a compliment .


 
View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Joined: May 03, 2007
Posts: 1932
From: Newport Beach, Ca .
Posted: 2009-08-25 09:05 am   Permalink

I was there and it was fun.I made some good connections.No there were not as many tiki
vendors as we would have liked , but over all it was a blast.The people were all very
friendly and in great moods.Bought a couple more plumeria flower plants for my back
yard and drank alot of Hinano beer ....what more could you ask for .BTW lots of cute
wahines as well .







 
View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Joined: Aug 10, 2004
Posts: 3097
From: Redondo Beach, CA
Posted: 2009-08-25 09:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-25 09:04, TIKI-RAY wrote:
Cindy , my son and I had a lot of fun . I bought a bamboo blowgun that is dead on . But now I have to find some type of paralizing poison to dip the darts in .
...



The traditional way is to start with one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_dart_frog

Or if that's too much trouble, Instructables has some homebrew methods
that have worked well for me: http://www.instructables.com/community/poison-darts/
The poison ivy route is ingenious but a little slow.

And here's some more info from the ever popular Blowguns Northwest:
http://www.blowgunsnorthwest.com/poison.htm

Enjoy!



 View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Oct 21, 2002
Posts: 3382
From: Milwaukee, WI
Posted: 2009-08-25 10:41 am   Permalink

I only found out about this event after I had our whole trip planned.

Had I known earlier I would have made a good effort to hang out in SoCal a bit longer and give this event a try.

Looks like a bunch of fun! Maybe next year!


 
View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 14, 2008
Posts: 816
From: SoCal
Posted: 2009-08-25 2:18 pm   Permalink

We went down on Sunday. Always great to
hear some Hawaiian music live and see some
Hula. Bought some stuff too. Cheers AL! Plus Bruno
got to hang at the dog beach next door and bark his little
ass off. He slept good that night! Good times.

Forgot to take snaps except a couple of us at the end.
Always forget about the camera at the bottom of my pocket.






_________________
Velvets by J. Sallin


 
View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation