FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Oakland, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Trader Vic's, Oakland, CA (restaurant)
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-05-18 09:30 am   Permalink

A menu of 121 drinks! Wow! The Tiki-Ti makes a big deal out of its 94, and I thought *that* was unbelievable. How do you possibly remember how to make all that?

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-05-18 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-05-17 13:35, clayfran wrote:
1948 edition of this fun SF guidebook.

It would be interesting to take each of those spirits categories and compare it to our home bars.

386 brands: (the "391" in the article is not correct.)
33 cognacs & brandies
11 gins
17 champagnes
34 wines
40 scotch and Irish whiskies
32 bourbons
103 rums
116 liqueurs and cordials

Over the years my bottles have multiplied like rabbits. I'm thinking that those with home bars should use the above as a measuring stick and put a "percentage of Vic's bar" in our signatures. That would be interesting, and would allow us to roughly compare the sizes of our collections and our bars.

Syrups, infusions, and bitters are missing from that list although some syrups like falernum may be considered a cordial of sorts.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly_Nesia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-06-30 9:22 pm   Permalink

Great history thread on the place.

Hey I was looking at photos from customer posts on yelp for the Emeryville location (great way to see a lot more of tiki restaurant/bars still out there) and came upon this photo posted by Eugene L.:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/trader-vics-emeryville?select=n7_DJnn9knDazeTs74w90A&userid=Lr-B-r-KF80yFy-2u336bw Very cool door panels that were reused here (in a kind of tacky way but at least preserved). Were these from the original Oakland location by any chance?

View Profile of Polly_Nesia Send a personal message to Polly_Nesia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2016-06-30 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-30 21:22, Polly_Nesia wrote:
Great history thread on the place.

Hey I was looking at photos from customer posts on yelp for the Emeryville location (great way to see a lot more of tiki restaurant/bars still out there) and came upon this photo posted by Eugene L.: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/trader-vics-emeryville?select=n7_DJnn9knDazeTs74w90A&userid=Lr-B-r-KF80yFy-2u336bw Very cool door panels that were reused here (in a kind of tacky way but at least preserved). Were these from the original Oakland location by any chance?

It is speculated that those doors are from the 20 Cosmo Place, San Francisco location:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=30113&forum=2&start=15

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-09 3:53 pm   Permalink

Nice interior shot:

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-20 4:42 pm   Permalink

Found this cool shot from 1946 on Flickr - check the woody out front:

Full size original here:
https://flic.kr/p/HKYdx2

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2017-03-20 16:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trad'r bill 2017-04-12 09:30 ]

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-23 3:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2017-03-23 15:56 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-12 09:13 am   Permalink

I picked up this rather unique print ad from the Trader Vic's in Oakland, really like the text and art work.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-04-12 11:36 am   Permalink

Now THAT is a cool ad. I've not seen one like that before.

Sad thing is, one of the two original entry palms at that address has had the top lopped off. It wasn't doing well for a good long while. Thankfully the other is still thriving.

Also, the empty lot now has status of "Sale Pending". It will be condos or apartments soon.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kevincrossman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-10-27 4:39 pm   Permalink

Here's a shot from earlier today, showing the two palm trees and the increasingly deep set of weeds. Plus my car (license: 44MYTAI).

The Public Notice sign doesn't have any paperwork in it anymore. It does seem the neighborhood is generally improving a bit from the last time I was there in the late 1990s.

View Profile of kevincrossman Send a personal message to kevincrossman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation