FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kono Hawaii, Santa Ana, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Kono Hawaii, Santa Ana, CA (restaurant)
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 6:39 pm   Permalink

Name:Kono Hawaii
Type:restaurant
Street:226 S. Harbor Blvd.
City:Santa Ana
State:CA
Zip:92704
Phone:531-1232

Description:
From the back of a post card that Dustycajun posted:

Diners marvel at a blend of the finest in Hawaiian-Japanese food in a setting of the tropics and the Far East. Hawaiian and Japanese waitresses provide the best in warmth and hospitality of Pacific splendor in the Kono Room (family room), Tea House (Sukiyaki) or Luau Shack (tropical cocktails). Kono's Gift Shop offers unusual imported gifts from the 50th State and the Orient.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 6:39 pm   Permalink

It's hard to believe that the Kono Hawaii didn't have its own Locating thread. I was looking for a place to post a few things that I had picked up, and all I came across was thejab's old Kono Hawaii postcard thread.

I picked up two of these cocktail umbrellas last month. They're not in very good shape, but I'm fairly amazed that they survived at all.

I also have these two matchboxes.

And this mug.

These three belong to Boris.

Here are a few things from other posts.

I think this is from a really big post card that Boris owns.

And a few more from Dustycajun.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 9:34 pm   Permalink

I'm really impressed with those cocktail umbrellas. You hardly ever see them with a logo on them. The only other examples I remember are from the Mauna Loa in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, Canada:

Here are a few more items from the Kono Hawaii:

Thanks to bongofury for this scan

the original door handles

the drink menu, which seems to prove this was one of the restaurants that used the Kelvin's tiki mug, or one very similar.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-08-28 21:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-08-29 01:53 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 10:53 pm   Permalink

Nice work, Sabu. That place existed for the longest time, albeit in de-tikied form (not that it had many Tikis to begin with), but well into the 90s. It was notable for being one of the Polynesian places (together with the Royal Hawaiian Anaheim) that Walt Disney used to frequent.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 11:29 pm   Permalink

Always one of my favorite postcards. Nice to see all of the images put together on this thread.

Walt used to swing here you say?

Here is another cool little ad.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 04:54 am   Permalink

Thanks for the great pictures and additional info, Sabu.

I completely forgot about the phone book ads.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 09:39 am   Permalink

Here is another matchbook I posted previously.

And a cool black and white photo from Flickr.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 07:27 am   Permalink

Thanks for these memorabilia posts everyone - Kono Hawaii is my personal number one Polynesian-pop temple even though its gone now.

My father took my mother there on their second date together in the early 1960s..as a family we went there for all special family celebrations and in later years my father would make special visits when The Society of Seven appeared there (I tagged along once to see that group but since that was so anti-hip in my teenage mind (at that time) I don't remember details of Kono Hawaii being de-tikified.

It seems to me Kono Hawaii was demolished before the 1990s, but I may be wrong..foggy in the memory bank you know

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2009-08-31 07:28 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 11:20 am   Permalink

Here is a red version of that cool matchbox.

DC

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 7:50 pm   Permalink

awesome! use to go to this place with my parents and my grandparents. there use to be a cool go cart track near there also. awesome memories!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 9:05 pm   Permalink

Dang, this place looks awesome.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 10:25 pm   Permalink

They used to have a new wave dance night there in the 80's & a pre-rave club called Happy House in the 90's
before it closed down.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 9:42 pm   Permalink

I could kick my parents for never taking me there, or Sam's seafood.
at least I made it to Sam's on my own,
but sadly this place closed before I knew it was doomed.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 1:44 pm   Permalink

Fond child hood memories of Kono .When we moved to OC in the early 70's Kono was
within just a few miles of our house, so we would visit often.I remember they had
a Benehana style chef that would cook food and toss it right in front of you.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 2:40 pm   Permalink

Last month I was tipped by Carmen Sanders to check out:

Kona Hawaii Restaurant Family and Friends

- on Facebook (Note spelling of Kona...not Kono(?) )

Since I don't Facebook maybe one of you post(ers) can take a peek and report back what you find.

Maybe this is related to the old KONO HAWAII in Santa Ana w/some cool trivia as is this thread...maybe it has nothing to do with KONO HAWAII at all.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation