FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kono Hawaii, Santa Ana, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kono Hawaii, Santa Ana, CA (restaurant)
Fez Moai
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-18 5:04 pm   Permalink

Ashtray from the Kono Hawaii with some paint wear at the bottom. Picked up last year at a flea market.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-26 10:01 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much for the memories, I had forgotten about this place until we were having dinner with some Tiki friends and we recalled the place. I went there with my folks and grandparents, as a kid, I thought this place was magical, inside there were bridges and catwalks with streams, waterfalls connecting all the "rooms" inside. One of the rooms was a Teppanyaki type restaurant. My favorite of course was the Polynesian showroom. We went there when my wife & I when we were dating with friends and after we were married in 1982. We saw Society of Seven and other Hawaiian groups. It was so awesome, it was a large showroom, you were served drinks, and then a Polynesian dinner and then you would watch the show. Such a cool place, so sad it's not there anymore.

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beerslayer

Posted: 12 days ago; 4:36 pm   Permalink

This may be an odd question here, but this seems like the right place to ask it:

I grew up in Orange, but my family moved away in the mid '70s when I was only 12, so I have only dim memories. But this place is ringing a bell for me.

I remember my folks taking me to what I remember as a tiki-themed miniature golf course, and I'm pretty sure it was in this same general area. I'm also pretty sure it was named "Kono" or "Kona" something, although I could be wrong about that.

Could it have been close by, or even part of Kono Hawaii? I do seem to remember there were "adult activities" (i.e. alcohol consumption) nearby - this place? Were they neighbors?

Does anyone out there even remember the miniature golf course I'm thinking of? I'd dearly love to find out whatever happened to the place.

(this is my first post here... please be gentle!)

View Profile of beerslayer Send a personal message to beerslayer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-02-09 16:36, beerslayer wrote:

I remember my folks taking me to what I remember as a tiki-themed miniature golf course, and I'm pretty sure it was in this same general area. I'm also pretty sure it was named "Kono" or "Kona" something, although I could be wrong about that.

Could it have been close by, or even part of Kono Hawaii? I do seem to remember there were "adult activities" (i.e. alcohol consumption) nearby - this place? Were they neighbors?

Welcome aboard. I think you are remembering the Holo Wai golf course located on South Glassell in Orange. About 6 miles away from the Kono Hawaii.

There is a thread for that here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22578&forum=2&hilite=holo%20wi

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beerslayer

Posted: 11 days ago; 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2017-02-09 16:53, Dustycajun wrote:
Welcome aboard. I think you are remembering the Holo Wai golf course located on South Glassell in Orange. About 6 miles away from the Kono Hawaii.

There is a thread for that here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22578&forum=2&hilite=holo%20wi

Thanks for the response, Dustycajun. I guess that's probably it. While I lived right off Glassell, and the theme certainly seems right, somehow I'm not 100% convinced that's the place. I thought I remembered we had to drive quite a ways to get there... of course, to an 11-year-old, any drive of more than a few miles seems like an eternity!

I hesitate to even ask this, but is there even a slight possibility there might have been *another* tiki-themed mini golf course somewhere in Orange County back in the early '70s?

View Profile of beerslayer Send a personal message to beerslayer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation