[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Finns 1st shot at carving
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Finns 1st shot at carving
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-08-31 04:50 am   Permalink

Well, not really first, but first thats bigger than a bottle of coke

Not really sure where its going, but well see...:

View Profile of Tiki-Finn Send a personal message to Tiki-Finn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 08:43 am   Permalink

Tortured and agonized...I LOVE IT! This is a very cool 1st(larger than a coke bottle)effort.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing the 'finished' piece. Cheers! from California

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 2:08 pm   Permalink

Great first try. You have something really cool going on there.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 8:56 pm   Permalink

Finland! Country of Kaurismaki and Paasilinna! I would like to visit this country ... but too cold for my wife!
Otherwise your carving is so good, can't wait to see him finished! I'm also interested to see the "coke bottle" tiki.
What's the kind of wood used it?

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-08-31 11:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words guys!

This one is pine. Its not the nicest material to work with, but i just happened to have a piece lying around.

View Profile of Tiki-Finn Send a personal message to Tiki-Finn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
builtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-01 10:15 am   Permalink

your work is almost spiritual...like the souls of the dead come back to earth

View Profile of builtiki Send a personal message to builtiki  Email builtiki Goto the website of builtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 8:05 pm   Permalink

More magic going on there than my first carvings.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-10-19 11:02 am   Permalink

*chases away the crickets*

Hey peeps.... Been away for a million years, but today i finally got to do some carving again.

Heres a couple of fotos to illustrate the progress:

Hope to finish the rough work soon.

BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:04 pm   Permalink

tiki finn! thats a sweet tiki and waay bigger than a coke bottle!! lol! lookin real good! cant wait to see him all finished up! cheerz!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CK

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! Really coming along!

View Profile of CK Send a personal message to CK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-10-28 01:44 am   Permalink

Some sanding done..... I almost forgot how much i hate dust since we moved in to our new house....

Other news, i got myself a nifty lil tool for my angle grinder. Kwiktool Woodcarver. As you might have figured out its a blade for carving wood. Very effective and also veeery dangerous. Havent managed to cut off any limbs yet, but ill keep you posted.

Heres a photo of the progress (not much notable change since last time):

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 07:51 am   Permalink

Tiki-Finn, Looking Great for tiki # One! Keep plugging away and be VERY Careful with that tool, Make Sure you keep that guard on the unit and at the recommended place as that is Very Critical.
Also if you would like to gain control of that bear of a tool, get a Good "Router Speed Control", not the China Cheapie for this as it does not give you full torque and Will lead to early failure of your grinder. There is one which comes in an extruded aluminum casing

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-10-28 08:25 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tip! Ill be sure to look into it.

I hope to get this one all sanded and stained this week. Well see how it goes.

amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 2:09 pm   Permalink

I really like that upper lip. I don't think I've seen one like that before. Your log has a great deal of character and I look forward to seeing it with the stain.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Lounge Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-28 8:58 pm   Permalink

Very nice work. I must applaud if you got it this nice on your first try. I tired going for Coke bottle size to somehting of that size and only mucked it up. What sort of tools have you been using?
I can't wait to see the finished version. Keep up the great work!

-LT

View Profile of The Lounge Tiki Send a personal message to The Lounge Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation