FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Finns 1st shot at carving
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Finns 1st shot at carving
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 10:18 pm   Permalink

Nice nice! I like the eyes. Keep those fingers.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-10-29 01:37 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The log surely has a lot of "character" I even dug out a .22 caliber bullet out of it Would have been sorta cool if it had been placed in one of the teeth as a filling I think the log was saved from rotting just in the nick of time. The outmost layers were already supersoft...
I was surprised by the amount of cracks that appeared, since i was quite sure the log was all dry when i started working on it. I dont find them that disturbing tho.

As for tools, ive been using a chainsaw to carve the first lines, and the mouth. After that ive done most of the work with a 24mm flat chisel, a round Pfeil chisel and a V-shaped Pfeil. Some rough sanding was done with my angle grinder, and now its mostly sandpaper til its ready for staining.

Im kicking my own lazy ass a bit for not sketching stuff up enough in the process. Its been mostly freehand carving, and im really not happy with the symmetry. IŽll be sure to work harder on that in my next project.

View Profile of Tiki-Finn Send a personal message to Tiki-Finn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finn

Posted: 2009-11-15 11:36 am   Permalink

Here he is all finished:

And an older one, in teh cokebottle category :

And something different :

View Profile of Tiki-Finn Send a personal message to Tiki-Finn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 9:16 pm   Permalink

Nice shots of your first! The coke bottle is nice too, good work for the santa...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 5:24 pm   Permalink

Wow Finn, that turned out really nice. I like the finish.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation