FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's Warehouse sale returns!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Warehouse sale returns!
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Where are your pictures? I don't remember the smelly fish!

PTD

OH I do! Midnite gave us the special honor of wafting...well actually shoving it...under our noses. Maybe some Febreeze Midnite? It is cool though!

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2009-09-30 13:08 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-30 00:06, icebaer69 wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-09-28 17:23, Coco Loco wrote:
... Some of you may wonder why these items are being sold ...

These items are NOT being sold ... for any other reason
EXCEPT that they cannot reuse the items
as they were customized uniquely for the previous locations ...

what ?

I know it seems like an odd thing to say that the items cannot be reused. I was at the sale and the photos on this thread are very limited in their ability to tell the whole story.
A huge amount of the posts and Tiki's have plug holes in them to allow poles to go into them to form an overhang, a bannister, etc. and this structure would not fit into a new restaurant. Open plug holes and unfinished tops are acceptable to most of us with home bars but would look bad in a fine dining establishment. Could some of them have been resused with a little creativity? Yea, but the scale would often have been off. Why not start clean with some new poles from Oceanic Art etc. rather than try to re-purpose skinny poles that were cool but are only about 25 years old anyway.

Another point is that more than a few items were cracked severely. Cold Berlin can do that to tropical wood as can a voyage across the ocean. And as was explained to me by the main warehouse girl, a few contained some unseen rot.

I will admit that I was excited but a little dismayed at the same time that Trader Vic's was selling items that make up their heritage. From outside it might seem to some that they have less respect for the past than you would like. But then I actually attended the sale. Everyone there the first day, and I mean everyone was a huge Tiki nerd/fanboy/girl and complete strangers were striking up conversations. I even told one person in passing that I was from Palo Alto and he immediately said, "Oh you must be SuperEight." At 115 posts I am not exactly BigBro here but somehow he still remembered me. Any way I can only say that the items that were sold to the public went to serious lovers of this stuff. Some did not know a lot about this stuff but they really like it and there was no Craigslist posting the first day or maybe ever. New locations are given the run of the place and this is what is left over. And anyone like me who peeked behind the many curtains can tell you much, much more was not offered for sale. Its actually very encouraging that Trader Vic's even has a ware house, much less one that big. How much Tiki history has been lost to the saw and dumpster? I would say most. Trader Vic's did not do that. More than anything it was a happy time for most and it really had the feel of a horse auction and each kid got to go home with their own pony.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-30 10:18 pm   Permalink

It is indeed a blessing that Trader Vic's has picked up the custom of actively repatriating their decor, case in point the recent Beverly Hills salvage success. This change in attitude is in part a credit to the Tiki revival. During the 80s and 90s this was often not the case, and much vintage art was lost. The earlier warehouse in Oakland was a desert when I visited it in the 90s.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FrankieGillette
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-03 7:43 pm   Permalink

It's funny that I am now being blamed for all the bad stuff. You people are a joke.
I was the second or third person to be mortified that TV's was selling everything
in the warehouse. This happens, especially in this economy. No, my realness (you say negativity) is geared for some of the hard-core fan boy-girl types who infest this site.

Coco Loco sounds like he or she needs a 3 day stay at a mental asylum. First CL obviously is targeting Sven, but when CL is called on it, I for some bizarre reason become the reason the reason TV's won't have another warehouse sale. That's straight b.s., from someone with too much time on their hands.

In fact I was at the sale, my curiosity had gotten the best of me. Eve and Kier had tremendous details on the pieces I purchased and were very nice. I spent a lot more money than I expected. My girlfriend had never seen the Emeryville TV's and we had a great time.

Where did I question the authenticity of any items involved in the sale?. Please be specific or shut up. If you're so thin-skinned as to be offended by my ranting posts, then it's on you. For me I am more interested in the tiki culture continuing after the bandwagon types jump off. I see here a lot of agendas which i don't like. I don't post to win a popularity contest, I have my own friends with their own interests. Someone needs to tell some truth. Forbidden Island is now a must-stop on my twice a month business trips to the Bay Area, so if anyone has something to say to me perhaps it be in person. I am not known to back off. Be nice.

View Profile of FrankieGillette Send a personal message to FrankieGillette      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 01:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-28 17:23, Coco Loco wrote:

Sadly, a few newbies decided to bash it for their own personal reasons.

As a result, this will most likely be the last time they open their warehouse doors to us. Which sucks for us as a few ruin it for everyone.

Damned newbies, always ruin everything.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 09:27 am   Permalink

Whatever....blah blah blah

Everyone has the opportunity to speak their mind. It's clear that some people like to argue. I'm not going to stoop to that level. I never named names, so I think that some people simply need to take a chill pill. That's all I'm going to say.

Frankie Gillete, if you have an issue with anything I've said, I suggest you call the warehouse directly and ask them about it. It will clear it up for you. They and everyone at the warehouse sale had a very specific take on it. Beyond that I really have no desire to speak to you again.

Again, thank you to to TV and the warehouse girls. It was a wonderful experience and we truly appreciated it. Have a wonderful day!

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2009-10-04 09:33 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 8:59 pm   Permalink

I went to the sale on Saturday and had a blast! Everyone was so helpful and nice! Even the other customers! I got a bunch of stuff-there was more I was really tempted by, and I'm hoping they open the warehouse again for us next year!

I grew up around TV's in the Bay Area and it's still the same classy place as always. I'm not going to be picky about if something was made last week or 50 years ago-it's still TV's and I'm proud of my hometown tiki institution! Classic classy tiki! Still going strong after 75 years!

Thank you warehouse girls for inviting us! You are as nice as I've heard! Please invite us back again sometime!

-Trader Vic's, home of the Mai Tai!!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 12:57 pm   Permalink

At first I was a little confused about FrankieGillette's point. I thought he was saying TVics shouldn't sell stuff and people from TC shouldn't buy it. But now I see it's much simpler...

FrankieGillette buys stuff at TVics warehouse = GOOD

Other TC people buy stuff at TVics warehouse = BAD

See, it's a good thing FrankieGillette went to the sale and bought stuff after all, because unlike him, the rest of us poor slobs will just be dumbfounded with no idea what to do with our TVics swag, "after the fad wears off." It'll all just end up in our garages, whereas FG will keep it eternally in a properly respectful place other than his garage. I only hope he wasn't foaming at the mouth like the rest of us when he took his road trip there. I thought I wiped most of the foam off, but I guess someone must've spotted it. I also hope no one in FrankieGillette's party was murdered. Thank goodness he warned us all about that too.

Since FrankieGillette pointed out that Trader Vics "really needs some direction" to correct their business model, I hope he also gave them some pointers and a good dose of his realness when he was at the warehouse. Hopefully that realness isn't just reserved for people on TC - without FrankieGillette's help, Trader Vics as we know it might be history!

But seriously... Thanks to the TVics gals for sticking around thru the weekend, and being so friendly and helpful, and even offering to take my camera to snap a pic of our family amidst the tikis.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 1:02 pm   Permalink

On a little more topical note, about this guy...
Quote:

On 2009-09-28 17:21, croe67 wrote:
A little FUN with the Barney West Moai

So that one was a Barney West tiki! I didn't think to ask when we were there, but it definitely has that look. Just curious, did it sell (or was it for sale)?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 1:09 pm   Permalink

Randy, Good points....I smell smoke.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 2:10 pm   Permalink

Sadly, for us, that Barney West tiki was not for sale. I looked and I asked. I LOVE that tiki...but I'm sure it's going to a good place.

[quote]
On 2009-10-05 13:02, aquarj wrote:
On a little more topical note, about this guy...
Quote:

On 2009-09-28 17:21, croe67 wrote:
A little FUN with the Barney West Moai

So that one was a Barney West tiki! I didn't think to ask when we were there, but it definitely has that look. Just curious, did it sell (or was it for sale)?

-Randy

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-05 13:02, aquarj wrote:
So that one was a Barney West tiki!

C'mon Randy. This is my Wayne Coombs "tribute" to Barney West. You'll notice the similarities!

If that Barney West had been for sale and I was there....

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 6:14 pm   Permalink

GatorRob,

That is one awesome tribute Tiki! Is that the final color?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 9:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-05 12:57, aquarj wrote:

See, it's a good thing FrankieGillette went to the sale and bought stuff after all, because unlike him, the rest of us poor slobs will just be dumbfounded with no idea what to do with our TVics swag, "after the fad wears off." It'll all just end up in our garages, whereas FG will keep it eternally in a properly respectful place other than his garage.

Don't forget the benefit of being educated on the '"anything tiki" group', who will buy up all of the stuff. The "anything tiki" crowd are dreadful, compared to the "true hipsters", who are in the know. Those "true hipsters" know they are hip, and it is a shame the "anything tiki" flunkies can't recognize that.

I'm just glad to know that we were able to contribute to the demise of Trader Vics, and not get murdered in the process.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 9:47 pm   Permalink

I'm curious, what was the biggest appeal for most of the stuff being sold? Was it a good deal, price-wise? Were these unique designs? Does the fact they came from an offical Trader Vic's make them special?

With places like Oceanic Arts and all of our local carvers, why buy Tikis that are Asian "reproductions" shipped all the way from Europe? To be honest a lot of the goods I saw in the pictures looked similar to what I see being created and sold locally.

Maybe there's drugs hidden inside these things (That's a joke !!)

Just asking.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation