FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tommy Bahama Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tommy Bahama Rum
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 09:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-27 08:55, Rob Roy wrote:
I like that the mug is microwave safe so when I microwave my Mai Tais it doesn't explode.

Dammit,
I was going to say that....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-28 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:
WHY on earth is everybody getting so into finding an ugly "pineapple head" Tiki mug inscribed with the name of a third grade designer rum that has to be covered by a closely placed mug on the mug shelf to avoid embarrassment, with the rum being the even more expendable part ?

Well, I'll fully admit to being a sucker sometimes, and this is one of those times...

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 7:39 pm   Permalink

at least it's not plastic and multi-colored!!! But it is UGLY!!!! And I saw it on ebay for $75! Better than my Harvey's bucket mugs!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 5:50 pm   Permalink

there's one up right now on e-bay, mug only for 9.99 on bid...... and you won't feel bad about the lousy brand rum

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 7:15 pm   Permalink

It's a pretty good bet that one (or more) will turn up at the Thrifts in a few months. I figure it's worth about a buck to me!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-29 8:36 pm   Permalink

Honestly it kind of bothers me sometimes how critical people are of others and their opinions on this site regarding what to collect. The fact is that this is a newer mug that in all likely hood will create more interest in the hobby of mug collecting than a $200 limited edition mug of 50 that only 2 people can afford.

Whether or not you like Tommy Bahama, they are creating interest in our hobby. This mug will likely be the first of many mugs for a new collector and that is a good thing.

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 9:35 pm   Permalink

I don't like people who bitch and don't bother to give a better solution, either.

So:

The Tommy Bahama mug is worth just about what silverline quoted, so don't spend more than that. It will do, in a pinch, to hand out a parties to clumsy, drunk friends.

If you're willing to spend a little more (and I do mean only a couple bucks more, in some cases), go to
Tiki Farm and get yourself a mug worth collecting. Holden makes some damn fine mugs and sells them for practically nothing.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-29 20:36, mfachman wrote:
Honestly it kind of bothers me sometimes how critical people are of others and their opinions on this site regarding what to collect.

Funny thing is, it bothers me how UN-critical most of the people on this site are, and how they stay mum when crap like this is getting undue attention because they are fearful that SOMEBODY might feel "bothered" if they voice their opinion. Which renders a non-commercial site like this pretty much useless, because if it shall just be an "everything goes", "!f you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" love fest here, the love for the true art and special quality of Tiki goes out the window.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-30 07:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-29 21:35, Haole'akamai wrote:

I don't like people who bitch and don't bother to give a better solution, either.

A solution to what? All I am saying is let people collect what they want without being a elitist about the hobby.

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hombre
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-30 08:01 am   Permalink

I know in my case. I can go into a thrift store 100 times and might find 1 item in those 100 visits. "Finding" stuff on ebay and tikifarm.com just is not as exciting. Yeah, this is a crappy blue made in China mug with a fairly crappy rum but at least I "found" it. No it won't go on the high shelf with the expensive mugs both past and present but it will be in my bar somewhere. Most likely will be the one I let Big Jim use when he visits as he is a pain in the ass and gets to drunk and clumsy. So if it gets broke, no big deal.

The solution to this problem might be we get after Tommy Bahama and make sure they get their next run of mugs from Tiki Farm. That email was the first one I sent when I opened the box and saw the mug was from China.

View Profile of hombre Send a personal message to hombre  Email hombre Goto the website of hombre     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 08:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-30 08:01, hombre wrote:
That email was the first one I sent when I opened the box and saw the mug was from China.

Hate to tell ya, but that's where the Farm's mugs are being made, too.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hombre
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-30 08:31 am   Permalink

UGHHH

LOL I can't win!

View Profile of hombre Send a personal message to hombre  Email hombre Goto the website of hombre     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 08:34 am   Permalink

And about that "elitist" generalization, if you you want un-elitist, go and type "Tiki" into Google, and you can find countless blogs that will eagerly share their opinion about what they see as Tiki.

Tiki Central is still the one place where people with passion and years of experience in the field share their findings and opinions, raise questions, and (try to) start intelligent discussions about the art form. I feel a responsibility to those valuable contributors and their work, and if something as pedestrian as this subject here gets the same attention as, let's say the Kono Luanii Room post, I see an adjustment of focus is in order. There is a big difference between being "elitist" and sharing and educated opinion. And it is the great freedom of an internet forum that that educated opinion can be shared in a more subjective, humorous manner than being purely didactic and politically over-sensitive.

BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-30 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-30 08:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

There is a big difference between being "elitist" and sharing and educated opinion.

Agreed, but...

One of your previous posts in this thread you said, "... WHY on earth is everybody getting so into finding an ugly "pineapple head" Tiki mug inscribed with the name of a third grade designer rum that has to be covered by a closely placed mug on the mug shelf to avoid embarrassment, with the rum being the even more expendable part?"

Sounds an awful lot like an elitist and belittling comment to me. Am I to infer that the educated opinion is of the same third grade level you suggest of designer?

I enjoy this site and I do enjoy the exchanging of information and opinions, but this "humor" as you call it just mean spirited in my opinion.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 09:50 am   Permalink

I know.....when it comes to bad Tiki and bad rum, I can be a mean mother! Sigh.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation