[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Rums
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Rums
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 10:38 pm   Permalink

While I was browsing around BevMo's web site tonight checking out their selection/prices I noticed that Trader Vic's has introduced some new line extensions, a banana, pineapple, mango & coconut rum.

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?Ntt=trader+vic's&N=0&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Nty=1&D=trader+vic's&Ntk=All&Dx=mode%2bmatchall

I thought that this was interesting in light of a thread that I recently read over at noted rum authority Ed Hamilton's Ministry of Rum site, where Ed stated that Trader Vic's is a private label made in the Virgin Islands possibly by Cruzan:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271&highlight=trader+virgin

The new TV flavours seam to correspond with Cruzan's newish flavored line extensions, so is it safe to assume that TV's rums are actually Cruzan? I don't drink either brand (except for Cruzan Blackstrap) but for those who have had both brands what do you think? If they are indeed the same rums the TV label is usually several dollars less expensive than Cruzan and would be a good buy for Cruzan fans, much as Castillo is rebranded Bacardi that's sold at a discounted price.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 09:13 am   Permalink

I use the TV's rum when I mix large batches of anything. I went through 12 bottles at Tiki Oasis this year, 6 dark and 6 light. Thankfully they are only $7.99 at Hi-Time Wines. As for being Cruzan, it's hard to tell..I use the Cruzan Dark (not really dark) and the Cruzan Single Barrel quite a bit, neither of them are very close to the TV's at all. If Cruzan is making the Trader Vic's, they are different formulas and not just re-badges of the existing Cruzan. As for the flavors, I can't vouch for those.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 09:58 am   Permalink

I picked up a bottle of the pineapple when we did our big stock up in Cali, but we haven't tried it, yet.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-01 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-31 22:38, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
The new TV flavours seam to correspond with Cruzan's newish flavored line extensions, so is it safe to assume that TV's rums are actually Cruzan? I don't drink either brand (except for Cruzan Blackstrap) but for those who have had both brands what do you think? If they are indeed the same rums the TV label is usually several dollars less expensive than Cruzan and would be a good buy for Cruzan fans, much as Castillo is rebranded Bacardi that's sold at a discounted price.

The TV rums are definitely not Cruzan.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 3:24 pm   Permalink

As much as I support Trader Vic's restaurants, they uniformly have made bad choices in whoever they franchised their liquor franchise to. No good rum has been sold under the name for years.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 8:27 pm   Permalink

They have been around for at least 2 years. Whatever they use to flavor the pineapple type gives me a headache everytime I drink it.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 11:34 am   Permalink

the last few times I have been to the New TV's in Downtown LA.
the TV's rums they used in the drinks tasted gawd awful, and I barely got a buzz, like I used to.
and no hangover.

which makes me believe its a grain alcohol, and small bit of rum blend.
I heard that Barcardi was doing these blends, and that's why they taste so bad.

I wonder if Barcardi is making the TV's rum?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-05 11:32 am   Permalink

I use the coconut one sparingly for flavor... and too much is definitely way too much.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2009-09-05 8:12 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's base rum is made by Cruzan. It's sold in bulk and not aged as long as Cruzan. The flavors are different from the Cruzan flavors.

Castillo is made by Bacardi but is not the same rum- it uses a different yeast strain.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-06 11:15 pm   Permalink

Martiki,

Thanks for the info, it's great to know!

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-10 5:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-05 20:12, martiki wrote:
Trader Vic's base rum is made by Cruzan. It's sold in bulk and not aged as long as Cruzan.

so the lesson learned is: if you're burning through 6 bottles in a night and cost is a factor, TV's will suffice, but otherwise use the Cruzan in recipes calling for "regular" light and/or gold (PR or VI rum?

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-11 12:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-01 10:04, bewarethe151 wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-08-31 22:38, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

The TV rums are definitely not Cruzan.

I stand corrected. Sure doesn't taste like Cruzan!

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunshine Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-11 12:45 pm   Permalink

The Zen Tiki Lounge podcast hosted our first ever room crawl at Tiki Oasis 9. We featured two drinks we had picked up from bartenders while on our travels. One cocktail called for Cruzan vanilla, Cruzan coconut and Cruzan Black Strap. Because Cruzan was on sale at Hi Times I also picked up their pineapple and mango just for fun. A friend had recently given me all of the Trader Vic's flavored rums so I decided to taste them all and see who does it better. From the first pair I tried (the pineapple), Cruzan kicked TV's butt. Then the coconut, again Cruzan was clearly a better flavor. As I went through each of the flavors I could easily say that Cruzan really must be using "natural ingredients." It shows.

On a side note: Cruzan Vanilla is amazing. Does anyone else even make a vanilla rum? I may not have to make my vanilla bar syrup any longer. The Cruzan coconut actually appears to have a bit of a toasted flavor, better than Malibu and Bacardi as well. Yummy!

View Profile of Sunshine Tiki Send a personal message to Sunshine Tiki  Email Sunshine Tiki Goto the website of Sunshine Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 11:31 am   Permalink

I'm not a huge fan of Vanilla rum,
but Whalers(sp?) from Hawaii has one.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-14 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-11 12:45, Sunshine Tiki wrote:
The Zen Tiki Lounge podcast hosted our first ever room crawl at Tiki Oasis 9. We featured two drinks we had picked up from bartenders while on our travels. One cocktail called for Cruzan vanilla, Cruzan coconut and Cruzan Black Strap. Because Cruzan was on sale at Hi Times I also picked up their pineapple and mango just for fun. A friend had recently given me all of the Trader Vic's flavored rums so I decided to taste them all and see who does it better. From the first pair I tried (the pineapple), Cruzan kicked TV's butt. Then the coconut, again Cruzan was clearly a better flavor. As I went through each of the flavors I could easily say that Cruzan really must be using "natural ingredients." It shows.

On a side note: Cruzan Vanilla is amazing. Does anyone else even make a vanilla rum? I may not have to make my vanilla bar syrup any longer. The Cruzan coconut actually appears to have a bit of a toasted flavor, better than Malibu and Bacardi as well. Yummy!

Sunshine Tiki- I loved the drink the vanilla drink you served at your party! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation