FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving First Carving...EVER!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
First Carving...EVER!
Tiki Tack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-01 8:34 pm   Permalink

Okay.... not sure how I got caught up in this whole tiki thing, but I'm definately hooked! Trying my hand at carving one after being inspired by you all. Not as easy as I hoped...lol Okay, so this little guy has been carved with the only tool I have on hand...an x-acto...lol
Will keep you all updated on his progress.

Oh and, by the way...Symetry is my new nemesis!

View Profile of Tiki Tack Send a personal message to Tiki Tack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomolos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 11:43 pm   Permalink

Great start - keep us updated

View Profile of nomolos Send a personal message to nomolos      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 06:12 am   Permalink

Pretty impressive for an X-acto blade. I think I carved my first little tikis with a $5 set of "wood carving knives" from an art store. What a terrible experience. You seem to have the eye for it; do yourself a favor and get some better quality tools. Your brain will thank you for it.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 06:14 am   Permalink

Very nicely done! Some sanding will clean him up real nice. How tall is he?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-02 07:52 am   Permalink

Thanks...words of encouragement go a loooong way. He's a whopping 5"...lol I was looking around at some carving tools...they are expensiiiive. The cheapest I found around my area was a five tool set at Home Depot for $40. I think I'll hit a few more places and maybe online...if the shipping won't kill it. Did I mention how much I love this site! So much information, inspiration, and tips.

View Profile of Tiki Tack Send a personal message to Tiki Tack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-02 07:52, Tiki Tack wrote:
Thanks...words of encouragement go a loooong way. He's a whopping 5"...lol I was looking around at some carving tools...they are expensiiiive. The cheapest I found around my area was a five tool set at Home Depot for $40. I think I'll hit a few more places and maybe online...if the shipping won't kill it. Did I mention how much I love this site! So much information, inspiration, and tips.

Yep, tools can be expensive. Well actually, they are expensive. If you are going to carve just small ones for now you can probably keep using xacto knives. Just get some different shaped blades. I have seen gouges for xacto. A dremel with a burr and some sanding drums would come in real handy for you as well.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 7:44 pm   Permalink

Welcome Great start! and knife only wow.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 9:34 pm   Permalink

Good debut carving here! Welcome on board.
With us it is often said: "There are no bad tools, only ill workers". In a way this is evidenced by this tiki...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-03 07:55 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone... I think I'm going to try out the Dremel. Will look into x-acto's with different blades though. Gonna try a few small ones out before I try anything bigger. But I'm excited to get into something more substantial.
Oh, I did use a drill to put a hole through for his mouth... so it's almost all x-acto...99.5% lol.

Tiki Tack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-17 07:46 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone....been awhile.. life always seems to get in the way of doing all the fun stuff. Anyway, the little wood tiki is finished but I ruined it with trying to stain it. I'll take a pic and post it. Maybe one of you will have a suggestion or two on how I can remedy the poor fellow.

On another note... posting a few pics of a couple other tikis in cast stone. I have them in a range of colors but I only have pics of the blue guys.. will post the others soon too though I think.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 07:59 am   Permalink

Your "Blue" guys are pretty cool, can't wait to see the others!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 10:38 am   Permalink

Those guys are great! Very nice for just an x-acto blade. You'll have to post a pic of the stained problem. Anyway, Welcome to TC. Can't wait to see the rest.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 10:58 am   Permalink

you want to get kit #KB3 here:

http://www.mountainwoodcarvers.com/warren.htm

or from another site or if you can find it locally.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 11:33 am   Permalink

Those are great, really like them.

Thanks for that link PDrake, that travel kit looks perfect.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 11:50 am   Permalink

Love the "blue tiki group." A lot better than my first carving, that's
for sure.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation