FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mixing from 'Grog Log' & 'Intoxica'
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mixing from 'Grog Log' & 'Intoxica'
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-28 02:19 am   Permalink

Swanky - F for pieces of eight?
Wow, we have very different tastes...

My favorites from Grog Log and Intoxica:
Pieces of Eight
Trader Vic's Grog
Mai Tai (it tasted good only with real lime juice, though)
Chief Lapu Lapu
Don the Beachcomber Zombie (from Intoxica) - but without 151 Demerara (did not have any, so I used Myers's).

I tried a whole bunch of other drinks, but these were the best IMHO.
I really like the books as they are very accurate comapred to ther books I've seen.

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-04-28 02:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-04-28 02:23 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-04-28 12:23 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-04-27 21:15, Doctor Z wrote:
Quote:
The Mai Tai NOT in Trader Vic's Guide?? Of course it is - Vic INVENTED the Mai Tai!! What guide are you looking in?

I am aware that he invented it but the Mai Tai is not in any of the Trader Vic recipe guides that I have including:
Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide, First Edition, 1947
Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink c.1950s
Trader Vic's Kitchen Kibitzer c.1950s
Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook c.1960s

My theory is that he wanted to keep the original recipe a secret until it was settled in court that he originated the Mai Tai, which happened in the early 70s.

I am curious, Doctor Z, which Trader Vic recipe book you have that includes the Mai Tai. Perhaps it's from the 70s as I don't have that one that came out then.

Interestingly, the Suffering Bastard recipe he gives in the 1960s Pacific Island Cookbook is actually a Mai Tai recipe and is nothing like the SB recipe in the Grog Log. The Suffering Bastard / Mai Tai discussion occured in this past thread:

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2750&forum=1

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-28 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-28 02:19, kick_the-reverb wrote:
Swanky - F for pieces of eight?
Wow, we have very different tastes...

My favorites from Grog Log and Intoxica:
Pieces of Eight
Trader Vic's Grog
Mai Tai (it tasted good only with real lime juice, though)
Chief Lapu Lapu
Don the Beachcomber Zombie

You must like the sour and tart, which I do not. I cut the lime juice in every recipe in half at least.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-28 9:07 pm   Permalink

Jab--
Indeed, I am referencing the 1972 'revised' edition - your explanation seems more than plausible! The Mai Tai recipe is prefaced by a full page account of the "...dirty stinker!" story. This edition also features the recipe for 'Menehune Juice', a drink IDENTICAL to the Mai Tai as far as ingredients and proportions, the only diference being Puerto Rican rum instead of Jamaican/Martinique rums.

KTR--
The 5 drinks you listed are the EXACT same 5 drinks that Z Girl and I mixed last Saturday! I agree - the Pieces of Eight is quite good, and 1/2 the lime usually tastes better. Tastes great strained instead of blended, too... Don's Zombie is good with just Bacardi 151, although the demarara does give it a smokier flavor it requires. Doubling up on the brown sugar gives it a nice flavor as well... But the Mai Tai - well, what can I say about Vic's Mai Tai that I haven't said already, eh?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-04-30 4:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-27 21:34, TheMuggler wrote:
If anyone has the Mai Kai's recipe for the Jet Pilot, please post it!

I don't know if this is the same as the Mai Kai's but I found this version:

http://www.webtender.com/db/drink/3070

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-03 12:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-25 13:21, thejab wrote:
Just made the "Puka Punch" from the Tiki Ti (in Intoxica) last night. Wow! Superb taste sensation!! There's something like 10 or 12 ingredients in it and it sure packs a wallop.

Wow! No kidding, Jab- this is my first "Post-Puka-Punch-Post". What a fantastic drink. The rum quantity frightenesdf me at first buyye a
sgl; but it's good . lg=]ae mmm...puka.

-oh my.

-mardpgh gtin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 10:07 pm   Permalink

listening to my fellow amatures and having just come from bahooka after a tasty but still improper scorpion, when your head begins to swell with your new found talent, just hop a plane to the tiki ti in silverlake and your swollen head will deflate and you will go crawling back to the bar for much more serious mixing. and as far as jeffs books go, back off the lime by half is correct!. what he was using and what i get are 2 very different things!. his books and "the great tiki drink book will put you in the hunt and you will be able to make good drinks, but once you taste the masters(mike sr. and jr)versions, you will understand why JEFF BERRY drinks there!.need i say more.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 11:35 pm   Permalink

Just picked up Intoxica at the Banboo2U get together yesterday. I'm still checkin' it out. So far the Volcano looks interesting. I think anything I might attempt to make here is going to require a trip to Beverages & More. A well stocked bar is a must.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-05 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-04 22:07, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
as far as jeffs books go, back off the lime by half is correct!. what he was using and what i get are 2 very different things!.

I think this has to do with the method of squeezing citrus. If you scrape the rind when extracting, your juice will be much more bitter, so balance that desire to get every last drop out of the lime with a delicate touch on the juicer and you might see a difference.

-Mug

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation