Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first carving
my first carving
brokeassbuilder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-07 11:51 pm   Permalink

well i found these blocks of fir cut to about 3- 4 feet tall and thought they would be great pieces of wood to try carving with, my depth i found is poor and the chainsaw doesnt like corners to much plus the face was a little large for the head piece i hope with some staining and burning in the right areas he will come more to life

[ This Message was edited by: brokeassbuilder 2009-09-07 23:53 ]

View Profile of brokeassbuilder Send a personal message to brokeassbuilder  Email brokeassbuilder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 7:40 pm   Permalink

Welcome! Fine first carve. Yes a burn will bring out your lines well.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brokeassbuilder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-08 9:42 pm   Permalink

whew i was about to go crawl back under my rock ...... thx yer a kind soul this is my second crewd working my skills are minimal and theres lots of more studying to be done i just dont want to come on here with work looking like somebody elsses

View Profile of brokeassbuilder Send a personal message to brokeassbuilder  Email brokeassbuilder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 04:42 am   Permalink

With fir you won't really need to use stain, burning will bring out ALL the grain. The headdress looks really thin, a hard thing to do on fir since it can be very "chippy". You have been bitten by the tiki bug, so I'm sure you'll be posting more in the future. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 07:50 am   Permalink

You could also try extending the lines of the face around to the sides a little. Finish him up and let's see what he looks like!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation