FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » A new chapter for SHAG
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
A new chapter for SHAG
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-09-28 8:55 pm   Permalink

The Corey Helford Gallery website only goes as far as 10/31/09 for their upcoming shows but there is this tiny picture in the artist section ~

Is this new? It doesn't look familiar to me, is the new direction SHAG meets Mad Men meets Cirque Du Soleil?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 10:38 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris, yes, that is a tiny snippet of the new work.

A few of the new panels were on preview at California State University, Long Beach, where Shag graduated from, on September 13 - 17, 2009. They are large Giclée canvases, like the ones from "The Flesh is Willing" show at the Laguna Art Museum.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26147&forum=17&hilite=laguna%20beach%20shag

Shag's take on Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" was also on display at CSULB. The new work is the same size as the Bosch piece, with dark colors and dreamlike imagery. I thought the work was completely recognizable as Shag, wildly imaginative, somewhat nightmarish (in a Shag style), and a refreshing new direction for Shag and his audience. I think most people will like it. There just seems to be a wider range of images and darker colors.

There is also a new book coming out, "Autumn's Come Undone" on October 15, 2009 from Baby Tattoo Books.
http://www.amazon.com/Autumns-Come-Undone-Shag/dp/0979330734/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1254201826&sr=8-1-fkmr2

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSan 2009-09-28 22:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSan 2009-09-28 22:47 ]

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 10:48 pm   Permalink

More of an evolution than a new start. Interesting though, especially as it looks similar to the old style, makes the character seem a little more creepy and wrong.

more here

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://arrestedmotion.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/shag.jpg&imgrefurl=http://arrestedmotion.com/2009/09/teaser-shag-autumns-come-undone-corey-helford-gallery/&usg=__WDH12K1gBxoo0OHSpb3vsWGTokw=&h=433&w=572&sz=92&hl=en&start=1&sig2=DXfHF8H8Ilra_nz3-O8LnQ&um=1&tbnid=5s7aPLS6Q3DKOM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAutumn%2527s%2BCome%2BUndone%2Bshag%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1&ei=cZ7BSqiwHtKt4QahtuXGBQ

Devil Reef Bar Blog
http://www.devilreef.com

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-29 08:46 am   Permalink

His work appears to be developing a Hieronymus Bosch feel. In fact, I think I even remember him mentioning Hieronymus Bosch's name a few years back when he spoke in Laguna.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 08:51 am   Permalink

don't forget Brueghel too!
Go Shag!
the tank is on FULL
and it's time for the second half of the Journey!
YAY!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-28 22:48, tikiracer wrote:
More of an evolution than a new start.

Yes, exactly.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-05 9:32 pm   Permalink

SHAG is Dead! Long Live SHAG!

i have always been a big fan of the clever humor of his work, despite always having tried to hate his work because of his monster-pop-ularity!

Shag is THE MAN. He totally GETS IT. nobody does it better.

Still and yet it takes a large set of dingle-berries to kick the cash cow to the curb. Granted he's not reinventing the wheel, but i say "good on ya mate" to young Josh as he emerges from the cocoon and spreads his wings!

And so again i say unto ye:

SHAG is Dead! Long Live SHAG!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-05 10:40 pm   Permalink

Blaze them trails!!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-10-05 11:42 pm   Permalink

Yay Josh! Stretch them artistic muscles.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-06 05:07 am   Permalink

With the muted colors and the some what morbid topics it reminds me of Charles Adams. Interesting stuff.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-10-14 05:49 am   Permalink

A few paintings from the new show have been posted at www.shag.com

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 07:48 am   Permalink

WOW!
Awesome new work!
Texas Steer tanks
and ponds full of maker's mark whiskey!
I think SHAG just hit another HomeRun!

that trip to see those Bosch's in person
allowed these two masters to meet for a short time
and MAN!
the results are astonishing!
Surreal,Spooky,and Fun!

Smudgepot!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 08:50 am   Permalink

In the work titled "Badlands," what is the naked guy in the children's pool doing?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 08:56 am   Permalink

to me it looks the same? ive always liked the guys work! the rear artwork on the rear cover of the bomboras head shrinking fun record is my favorites though! all of the fake board games etc. its tru people think hes minimalist and try to hate him, but i'll tell you right now, that trying to recreate what he does as a tattoo is one of the hardest things to do! the guys style is almost impossible to master! people always try to imitate but generally fail. i was hoping for more of the style i mentioned before, but i dig this, like i said, not tooooooo different. also as far as doh is concerned, i would think josh doesnt worry bout that too much anymore?? 60k is pretty damn good!!! on sale!!!!! by the way my handdrawn decks were 100$$$$$$$ hahahahahaha!

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 08:57 am   Permalink

awesome.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation